Date: 27-04-24  Time: 02:14 am

Author Topic: Fitting new battery - am I going nuts?  (Read 1675 times)

DaveyJay

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Fitting new battery - am I going nuts?
« on: 09 November 2011, 08:04:58 pm »
Just bought a replacement Yuasa YTZ14S for my FZ1-S. Charged it o/night and fitted it today - electrics are dead as a dodo, yet were working when I removed the old battery a few days ago. Now I've noticed that with the battery sat in it's proper place in the bike the positive terminal is on the LEFT of the bike and the negative terminal on the RIGHT, not the other way around as specified in the owner's manual. Therefore the red lead has to be attached to the negative terminal of the battery and the black to the positive - surely wrong!! . If I turn the battery around in it's cradle, then the leads just won't reach the terminals. The new battery is exactly the same as the old one.
What the f### is going on here??
 Could other members check their own bikes and let me know if I'm being a p###k?

Cheers lads and lasses!
Davey

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting new battery - am I going nuts?
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2011, 09:02:46 pm »

It might be one of the universal batt, check that there are not two sets of terminals.

tex
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2011, 10:07:43 pm »
the correct battery listed for your bike is indeed a YTZ14S,have looked at the battery itself to see if the idents are correct,it could be that the battery is boxed wrongly,looking at the batteries listed on the net the terminal layout should be like this one on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-YUASA-BATTERY-YTZ14S-YTZ14-S-NEW-/120494369791

DaveyJay

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2011, 10:25:30 pm »
Yeah, that's exactly the battery I've bought - positive terminal is on the left, not the right as I've said - owner's manual says it should be on the right

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2011, 05:06:15 am »
what are the idents on the original battery?