Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:22 pm

Author Topic: Usd Conversion  (Read 9652 times)

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
Usd Conversion
« on: 09 June 2013, 08:23:04 pm »
Hi guys, Just showing off my latest project.

Its goign to be a Fazer with a round lamp and R1 forks. Got some parts today.

Unfortunately, i Don't think the actual front end swap will be until next month. I need more parts and the wheel need either coating or painting.

Here is how the bike stands now.

The round lamp is only temporary, Its the wrong beam pattern, therefore wont pass the MOT. So when i do the swap to usd, i'll be buying a bandit lamp.
I bolted the Speedo also to the lamp bowl, Temporary again, i'm buying the proper bracket for it.

The speedo is a KOSO xr-sr-n, The fazer speedo would not work with the R1 front end, as the wheel doesn't have a drive, This speedo takes the reading from small magnets inside the disc bolts. (Either front or back, even the sprocket)

It has a rev counter, But it's in number format and doesn't seem as 'instant' as the actual dial.

The clocks are great, As long as you have a wiring diagram to hand for the bike. A bonus too is that they come with a variable water temp sensor to replace the switch type in the water system.

Will update as more stuff happens.

Cheers
Tom

"Its a Fazer Jim, but not as we know it"

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Usd Conversion
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2013, 09:11:48 pm »
Does it rev beyond 10,000 ?

Looks good tho.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2013, 09:16:37 pm »
Does it rev beyond 10,000 ?

Looks good tho.

Not sure, The clocks go upto 18k.

Is there a limiter built into the original clocks? I pushed it fairly hard last night. This speedo has a top speed and rpm recorder, it said at my max rpm was 9900 and something.. Not sure on the Speed as the speedo wasn't properly calibrated then.

Also, to add, Rear wheel will be getting replaced by a Thunderace rim, So it will have a 180 on the back. Have a Hugger from a Srad that i can modify to fit too.

Now, the wheels.. they will be getting powder coated and new tires, What colour.. Black is the favorite, but i think silver would look pretty cool. Opinions?

Cheers, Tom
« Last Edit: 09 June 2013, 09:25:03 pm by Superfour Tom »

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2013, 09:50:22 pm »
I believe the Speedo connects to the tps and the 'black box doodah' (ignition thingy).  Apparently if you switch the clocks sometimes you lose part of the upper rev range.  I'll see if I can find a link.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2013, 09:54:10 pm »
Hmm, i read something into that too. But only remembered once i swapped the clocks over. It runs the same, In any case.

After i took the 'proper' speedo off, i took a quick run to the shops before wiring the new one, Tbh, thats when its ran the best. With no speedo.

Cheers,
Tom

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2013, 09:54:36 pm »

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2013, 10:04:48 pm »
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,7561.0.html

Okay, After some research. My bike is running fine because the Speedo drive is still connected to the loom. I'm going to have a look at it tommorow. Conflicting stories on whats what but apparently its not too noticeable.. But the tach needle goes nuts. This could probably be sorted. I'll update tommorow
« Last Edit: 10 June 2013, 12:32:29 am by Superfour Tom »

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2013, 01:25:53 pm »
I'd like to hear more about whether you notice any running problems as I've recently swapped my front end for a Tcat one, I'm contemplating swapping the clocks over so I can have the T'cat wheel in with 120/60 tyre but keeping the current speedo connected to the loom to avoid any errors!
Some say...

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2013, 01:50:27 pm »
I'd like to hear more about whether you notice any running problems as I've recently swapped my front end for a Tcat one, I'm contemplating swapping the clocks over so I can have the T'cat wheel in with 120/60 tyre but keeping the current speedo connected to the loom to avoid any errors!

I had a look at the wiring diagram and against what i have read the speedo is not connected to the Tps, it is connected to the speedo drive and the CDI box. I just removed the Speedo drive from the loom now and took it on a little run. It runs fine.Maybe the problems start when people just remove the speedo drive and leave the clocks?

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2013, 02:57:56 pm »
Hmmm, but as the CDI controls the ignition firing does that not mean its taking a measurement from the speedo so that the wizardry can happen?
Some say...

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2013, 01:17:30 am »
Hmmm, but as the CDI controls the ignition firing does that not mean its taking a measurement from the speedo so that the wizardry can happen?

Yes, the speedo drive would be telling the CDI how fast the bike is going so the correct Advance/retard can be applied for the speed.
I removed the Speedo drive from the loom completely, Now the CDI knows the engine is running and what is going on inside the carbs, The only thing it dosent now know is how fast the bike is going. I have been to work and back on the bike and the bike feels exactly the same.

I would like to hear how other peoples bikes run with standard clocks and the speedo drive disconnected.

Cheers
Tom
« Last Edit: 11 June 2013, 01:23:42 am by Superfour Tom »

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2013, 09:43:21 am »
I think the proof of running fine s in the comment above- does it rev past 10,000 rpm?
Some say...

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2013, 01:28:00 pm »
If I remember well, my bike was running all right when my speedo rotor broke. It reached the red line as fast as always. It went about 2000km like that.

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2013, 03:24:42 am »

Some small updates.

Pressed a Fazer stem into the R1 bottom yoke, The Fazer stem is Very slightly thinner so had to drill through the yoke and stem Then press a Spring pin through. Had to shave about half from each full lock stud on the yoke to match the fazer yoke.

Front wheel transformed from this...

..To this  :)

Also machined this "top hat", which makes the Top yoke fit the Fazer stem.

Fender arrived too, This was sold to me for £10 with no info on the colour. Safe to say i love it and might do the bike in this glitter colour.

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2013, 12:07:20 am »
Got some GSXR switchgear for free, They look loads better and more modern than the Fazer ones.  :D 

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 July 2013, 12:18:10 am »

Fairing is Going back on tomorrow. Started the Fork swap too, All im waiting for is the disc bolts.

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 July 2013, 03:17:57 pm »
Finished!

Next to do is to get a Thunder-ace rear wheel for 180 tyre goodness.

I made a little bracket up for the speedo to hide most of the iron works behind it. Will probably paint it or wrap it at some point.

« Last Edit: 02 July 2013, 03:19:43 pm by Superfour Tom »

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 July 2013, 05:15:07 pm »
That looks pretty darned awesome.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 July 2013, 06:17:53 pm »
Looks good. Nicely executed. So how much has it improved the ride? (Guess you'll need to spend some time setting it up before you can answer that?). And I noticed you gave up on the single h/lamp idea?

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 July 2013, 06:23:06 pm »
Sorry I forgot you'd talked about the Speedo and revs earlier.  I'd be interested to know what the performance is like side by side with a standard bike in a straight line.
« Last Edit: 02 July 2013, 06:25:27 pm by simonm »

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 July 2013, 07:50:53 pm »
Looks good. Nicely executed. So how much has it improved the ride? (Guess you'll need to spend some time setting it up before you can answer that?). And I noticed you gave up on the single h/lamp idea?

Not sure, I can't ride it until i receive the bolts for the front discs, at the moment they are held on by a couple of rusty bolts. It will probs be getting set up too, but  as i am fitting the thunderace rear wheel and most likely will be getting a hagon or an R6 shock it will only be tempoary.

Sorry I forgot you'd talked about the Speedo and revs earlier.  I'd be interested to know what the performance is like side by side with a standard bike in a straight line.

The bike feels the same, Can see no difference at all, in Slow speeds or if thrash it.