Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:34 am

Author Topic: Clutch knock  (Read 1947 times)

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
Clutch knock
« on: 06 June 2013, 01:57:04 am »
Hi guys, Just wondering if the knocking from my clutch is normal. When riding around and come to a halt, I take it out of gear and release the clutch and it gives a knocking noise until i pull the clutch back in.

When first firing up (stationary), i find the noise will only come when i clutch-in, select 1st, Back to neutral then release the clutch again.  :\ 

I have just swapped the engine, the new one is a 14k minter that has no rattles or knocks (apart from this), The old engine did it too, but i cant make my mind up if this new engine is worse?

Can't think of anything other than the release bearing in my head. Or are these bikes just like this?

Cheers,
Tom
"Its a Fazer Jim, but not as we know it"

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch knock
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2013, 06:26:00 am »
Out of balance carburettors can cause the clutch to rattle have these been checked recently.
Andy

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2013, 09:33:05 am »
my vote is with Tom :) sounds very much like release bearing ( most manual cars have the same noise to a certain degree ). wouldn`t lose sleep over it..........just ride it as normal and sort it if it gets really bad. does the clutch operate ok otherwise mate? cheers Ade

Superfour Tom

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph TT600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2013, 12:07:47 pm »
Out of balance carburettors can cause the clutch to rattle have these been checked recently.
Andy

They were balanced about 2 weeks before swapping the engine, I didn't bother when i swapped the engine. But i'll re-balance and let you know.

my vote is with Tom :)  sounds very much like release bearing ( most manual cars have the same noise to a certain degree ). wouldn`t lose sleep over it..........just ride it as normal and sort it if it gets really bad. does the clutch operate ok otherwise mate? cheers Ade

Yeah, the clutch is fine.. Just this annoying knocking.
"Its a Fazer Jim, but not as we know it"

otis

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Suzuki GS550 Bobber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2013, 09:11:08 am »
I had the same thing on mine last year, changed the clutch, balanced the carbs but was still there. A few weeks later the bottom end let go  :'(  problem found. New engine is quiet   :)
Can't get lost if you don't care where you are