Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:23 pm

Author Topic: Fuel gauge flickering  (Read 1942 times)

alleywatson

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fuel gauge flickering
« on: 30 May 2013, 11:26:48 pm »
Hi everyone, just got my 2001 Fazer FZS 1000 today, and really like it. I've a couple of niggles that i'd like to know the answers to if that's ok. The first is the rather annoying fuel gauge that moves up and down on it's own depending on if you rock the tank when riding or with it just stood and rocked it between your legs, a bit of research from other Fazer owners tells me it's something in the tank maybe a sender that's faulty ?. And the second thing is a small oil leak that i discovered when stopping off for a cuppa on the motorway, it's not much and after taking off the sprocket cover found the leak to be no higher than the sprocket itself, is this a seal that needs changing ? or something worse ? apart from that she's a minter.

Cheers in advance

Alex

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel gauge flickering
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2013, 12:27:42 pm »
Is it an oil leak or just excess chain oil collecting on the front sprocket. Watch it for a few days until you are certain before doing anything about it. 

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2013, 02:48:06 pm »

There is a gasket that tends to fail, it holds the gear selector cover.  The replacement gasket is metal as the bikes were fitted with a rubber / paper type gasket originally.   
I had a similer sounding leak a few years ago and if you remove the sprocket cover, clean the area and then run the bike you should see where the weep of oil is coming from.
If it is that cover it's an easy job to do as removing the cover doesn't leak oil so you don't need to drain / replace oil.   It's just a faff take off the gear selector linkage etc. #

alleywatson

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2013, 08:01:14 pm »

yeah the chain wasn't very oily and wasn't greased by the garage, so i'm assuming was engine oil as it was black and hot

Is it an oil leak or just excess chain oil collecting on the front sprocket. Watch it for a few days until you are certain before doing anything about it.

alleywatson

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2013, 08:03:06 pm »

Ok, but it's the engine that's wet with oil can this come from the gear selector ?

There is a gasket that tends to fail, it holds the gear selector cover.  The replacement gasket is metal as the bikes were fitted with a rubber / paper type gasket originally.   
I had a similer sounding leak a few years ago and if you remove the sprocket cover, clean the area and then run the bike you should see where the weep of oil is coming from.
If it is that cover it's an easy job to do as removing the cover doesn't leak oil so you don't need to drain / replace oil.   It's just a faff take off the gear selector linkage etc. #
« Last Edit: 31 May 2013, 08:06:10 pm by alleywatson »

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2013, 02:27:36 pm »

Ok, but it's the engine that's wet with oil can this come from the gear selector ?

Yes - the engine oil also lubricates your gear box and clutch so if that gasket is weeping you'll get engine oil there.   

here's my post on replacing the gasket from a few years ago,  you might not have this issue but it is a common one for the fazer.

http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/32777#.Uan2RZVYXdk