Date: 19-04-24  Time: 20:37 pm

Author Topic: get a good shine  (Read 6389 times)

yamy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
get a good shine
« on: 30 May 2013, 10:39:33 pm »
hi all can anyone tell me what to use?
There's a white liquid u mix with water and spay on
that gives a good shine any idea what it's called

Cheers yamy

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: get a good shine
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2013, 11:24:41 pm »
I use wash n wax from tesco's or wilco's but rince it of the discs and tyres.

yamy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2013, 07:16:25 am »
Cheers will give it a go,  that stuff dose everything paint work and engine

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2013, 08:45:27 am »
spray on muck off, leave 2 minutes then wash with a good wax shampoo dry off polish paintwork with a good carbauna wax and polish chrome n ally with belgum alu, time consuming and possibly more expensive than wash n go but loads better results
knackered thinking about it lol
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2013, 08:46:07 am »
ps dont forget to polish your helmet with a good lube  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2013, 04:33:47 pm »
this any good for slap heads. :pc

baggy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2013, 09:24:16 pm »
I have used Muc-Off for years and didn't believe anything could be better until a few months ago I decided to use SDOC 100. Its about £15 a bottle but it's well worth it.

I spray it on the engine, swing arm, wheels. Leave it for a few mins and then rinse off and the results are amazing.

I then use the cheaper Muc-Off on the body work.

The SDOC also leaves a protective film and when I rinse it after riding in the rain the dirt easily comes off with just water.

White FZ8

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2013, 07:53:13 pm »
If you really want a good shine, and are considering going down the polish/wax route, (one of) the best hand polishes you will get is Autoglym Super Resin polish.

Its an AIO (all in one) type product, which has fine abrasives to help removes swirls, it also has a filling agent to fill some swirls (this washes back off over time) and has a slight protection aspect to it as well, hence the AIO. its only durable for a few weeks to a month on its own, so to go over top you may want to consider a last stage protection product like a wax or a sealant.

Wax is Ok, and performs well, but due to the "sticky" nature of most waxes it has a tendancy to attract more dust in my experience, and so a modern sealant is generally a better proposition for a bike.

If you want something quick, and easy to apply with reasonable durability you will struggle to find a modern product to beat Carpro HydrO2. you just wash the bike as normal, and spray this stuff on with the bike still wet, then rinse it off and it adds a layer of extremely hydrophobic protection which will sheet water like crazy. and if the water doesnt stick and settle, it helps to stop dirt from sticking as well.

There are a few other products out there which are pretty good for bikes. For general cleaning between washes something like Autosmart G101, or any other All purpose cleaner works well for me on extremely dirty parts. and in the normal wash bucket I usually stick something like Valet
Pro poseidons carnauba wash, which has wax additives which helps maintain some protection on the paintwork too, whilst not being as sticky as a hard/paste wax due to it being liquid based and diluted in the wash bucket.

oh, and to answer your original question, I believe the product you are referring to is Autoglym Aqua Wax/Express wax (express wax is the trade name, but its called auto wax in the retail range). you dont dilute it with water though, you simply decant it into a spray bottle and spray it onto the bike wet, it works as a rinse aid with wax content to add a bit of shine, much in the same fashion as poseidon carnauba wash I mentioned earlier.

...sorry, Ive rather rambled on there.. cleaning is kinda my "thing"  :o :lol
« Last Edit: 01 June 2013, 07:56:35 pm by mickvp »

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 June 2013, 10:51:19 pm »
Clean the bike then dry it off. Apply a THIN layer of carnauba wax and leave it for half hour or so, wipe the wax off then buff it. For a really deep shine, apply another coat a few hours later once the first one has cured.

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 June 2013, 10:52:49 pm »
Whoops, dunno why that pic came out so big?????? :eek

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 June 2013, 08:55:20 am »

If you want something quick, and easy to apply with reasonable durability you will struggle to find a modern product to beat Carpro HydrO2. you just wash the bike as normal, and spray this stuff on with the bike still wet, then rinse it off and it adds a layer of extremely hydrophobic protection which will sheet water like crazy. and if the water doesnt stick and settle, it helps to stop dirt from sticking as well.

I had a read about this stuff and it has some interesting properties. I was wondering if it would work on visors to repel rainwater, I recently rode accross europe in monsoon conditions and raindrops on the visor was a real problem and I would have given my right arm for something to sort that out.
 Question is, would the Carpro react with the visor plastic and do something nasty to it? Has anybody tried it?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 June 2013, 09:10:25 am »
Yes, I've tried it. Works OK, however, with hydro2 needing to be applied wet its not the easiest to apply without wetting the inside of the helmet.

Another alternative for this is a product called gtechniq g5, which is a very similar product, although classed as a glass sealant (its actually more durable than hydro2 and slightly more hydrophobic), its applied dry via an applicator pad (like a makeup pad :o) then buffed off, safe to use on the helmet and durable for 3-4 months.

Gtechniq g1 is another "glass sealant" which is durable for around a year, but not safe for visors as far as I'm aware.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2013, 09:11:23 am by mickvp »

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 June 2013, 08:16:03 pm »
Silicone bike polish does a great job and dead easy to use.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/cleaners/rock-oil-silicone-bike-shine-400ml

Brings everything up a treat but take the seat off first  :rollin

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 June 2013, 08:53:39 pm »
yeah, really wouldnt want to be getting that on my grips or seat. slippery city that stuff.

a modern silicone oxide sealant (SiO2) give the shine of a high silicone substance without the slipperiness. Admittedly though, application is far more fussy than a spray can like that ^^^ which is easy on/off. depends how long you can be bothered cleaning for really. sometimes quicker is better so you can get a reasonable look and get out and do a bit more riding

The only example Ive got of a modern coating Ive applied recently is on a car (sorry about that), but if you polish the paint properly before application (the key to good paint depth is in the preparation), you can achieve fairly good results:

« Last Edit: 04 June 2013, 08:55:43 pm by mickvp »

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 June 2013, 04:23:49 pm »
I've got the say the spray on silicone takes under 5 minutes to do the the engine looks like it came from a show room as well as the bodywork.

I'm a fan...

Mr Sheene probably does the same thing, I will be experimenting with that when my current spray runs out.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 June 2013, 04:33:37 pm »
Also, I've used Astonish engine degreaser on the wheels and swinging arm.

At 99p down the Range for 750mm I don't think you can go that far wrong but don't leave it on too long. Says it's not suitable for painted surfaces  :eek   but so far so good!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 June 2013, 05:30:39 pm »
yes. Mr sheene is remarkably similar to many sealants on the market today...its actually a pretty good product. Tesco also sell a product which is called "Daisy", which is a good all purpose cleaner that can be used for just about everything, and that's only £1. there's loads of household products you can get from the supermarkets that can produce pretty good results.

another good product from Tesco is called "bar keepers friend", which works great on exhausts and stainless steel  :D .

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 June 2013, 10:11:19 pm »
Is it true that there are certain waxes, polishes and finishers that you shouldn't use if you're ever considering a paint job, as they're such a bugger to remove?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 June 2013, 10:18:41 pm »
possibly. There are certain products like Wolfs Body wrap, Gtechniq C1, Carpro CQuartz UK that are Quartz type coatings, durability on some of these can be upto (and over if low milage) a year!, they also leave a physical coating behind too. with these new nano-coatings, care must be taken, or the product will need to be polished off before paintwork to help with colour matching etc.

Also, and you probably know this, After a paint job, you need to be careful for a few weeks with any products containing silicone, like those spray silicones above, as it can react badly with fresh paint before its had ample chance to "gas off".

In response to the earlier question about coating Visors/Helmets earlier from someone, I re-did my Helmet tonight with Carpro HydrO2 (and did my visor with my usual Gtechniq G5), heres a quick video of its sheeting abilities, as you can imagine, sheeting rain off at speed is not an issue much:

I tried to do a side-by-side on a spare visor too, but didnt protect the inside and so the video didnt show up very well (schoolboy error!).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iclN83z0sE

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2013, 08:19:14 am »

In response to the earlier question about coating Visors/Helmets earlier from someone, I re-did my Helmet tonight with Carpro HydrO2 (and did my visor with my usual Gtechniq G5), heres a quick video of its sheeting abilities, as you can imagine, sheeting rain off at speed is not an issue much

That looks like just the result I'm looking for. Thanks for filming that little demonstration.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 June 2013, 08:31:40 am »
Your quite welcome Simon.

If your looking for the cheapest place to get some, your best buying it direct from carprouk rather than one of the myriad of resellers (Google carprouk and the site will come up).

Its usually £12 for 100ml (which makes 400-500ml when diluted), however, if you only want it to do your helmet, I'm sure he used to do a smaller sample bottle at 50ml, which would be more than enough to do your helmet a few times :)

EDIT, yeah, he does a 50ml sample for 6.50, unless you want to do the bike as well, you probably wouldn't need the 100ml.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2013, 08:32:58 am by mickvp »

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 June 2013, 09:32:33 pm »

In response to the earlier question about coating Visors/Helmets earlier from someone, I re-did my Helmet tonight with Carpro HydrO2 (and did my visor with my usual Gtechniq G5), heres a quick video of its sheeting abilities, as you can imagine, sheeting rain off at speed is not an issue much

That looks like just the result I'm looking for. Thanks for filming that little demonstration.

how did you get on with the HydrO2 Simon? did you get it ok?