Date: 29-03-24  Time: 13:43 pm

Author Topic: Gen 1 - Front Fork Preload adjuster range ? (show me yours)  (Read 1344 times)

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

Here's the preload adjusters wound out to maximum on my bike,  the right hand side is identical to the left hand side (photo is of left hand side).
Looking at the manual i was expecting to see 8 rings of adjuster lines as it states the preload goes from 1 to 8 with 4 being the default.   I've got a range of 3.5 "segments".

As i didn't buy the bike from new,  have i got the original preload adjuster (2003 model bike) ?  If it did have a range of 8 i can't see how you'd use the full range as the adjuster would hit the handlebar.

I've changed the fork oil in the past and i think i have the original springs as they are dual rate spring (you can clearly see the different windings on the spring).

Another questions is static sag.  With the preload on mimimum (fully wound out) i get 19mm of static sag and with me sitting on the bike i get 27mm of sag.  I would have expected some more sag with minimum preload.

This makes me think either the preload unwinds more, or i have non-standard springs / preload adjuster items.
Does anyone have their own suspension measurements they can share ?

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
Re: Gen 1 - Front Fork Preload adjuster range ? (show me yours)
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2013, 09:39:30 pm »
The top of the fork tubes (the cap actually...) should sit flush with the top yoke as standard..

Thats probably why your adjusters won't wind out any further.

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2013, 09:50:03 pm »

i don't think dropping the forks through the yokes by 5mm or so is altering the preload range.  The preload isn't connected to this.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2013, 11:03:11 pm »
That's odd that the handbook says 8 rings. The service manual says 5 rings is fully out, standard position 2...  they look fully out to me and although my memory is a bit hazy, I don't remember ever seeing all 5 rings. Looks normal, in other words.

Judging by the forks sitting a few mm high, it looks like the previous owner has made adjustments, so there might be stiffer springs or a upgrade kit in there too. You won't know unless you take them apart, of course.

macmivvi

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2013, 11:14:35 pm »
My preload adjusters are the same, 01 model.

i don't think dropping the forks through the yokes by 5mm or so is altering the preload range.  The preload isn't connected to this.

Think he refers to the 5mm of adjustment you removed by moving the adjuster closer to the bars.

If you think the springs are standard did you alter the airgap/oil level when you changed oil?
I just checked old post when I fitted a set of Ravenrider modded springs which gave 24mm static sag with the adjusters fully out 3.5, if you can only get 19mm static I dont think you have std springs.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2013, 11:46:41 pm by macmivvi »