Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:48 pm

Author Topic: A man shed is born.  (Read 17103 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: A man shed is born.
« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2013, 11:57:39 am »
Ha ha

Yeah i knew id seen deadeye somewhere before!!! :lol
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2013, 11:59:11 am »
*in Homer Simpson's voice* Woohoo! I'm a superhero!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2013, 12:02:19 pm »
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Sheds/The-BillyOh-4000-Windowless-Range

This is what i am thinking, £369 in 12x8.

I dont think you can go wrong for that money.

My shed will have to last 2.5 times as long as it to justify my extra cost & im sure it wont.

You might need to do a bit o reinforcing on the floor though if its a bit paper thin, bit o ply,its almost essential to have a bit o ply down,not sure why but ive even seen a few folk with concrete garages putting down a bit o ply,jus coz they can i suppose :rolleyes ,soaks up the oil.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2013, 12:09:46 pm »
yeh....you`ll defo need to strenghten the floor to take the weight,most of it in a small area when on the side / centre stand,would suggest at least 18mm ply  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2013, 12:18:19 pm »
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Sheds/The-BillyOh-4000-Windowless-Range

This is what i am thinking, £369 in 12x8.

Youll need a ramp n'all,buying my folding ramp worked out cheaper than making my own outta wood, it's long so the gradient is small which makes it ideal for pushing the bike into the shed.

Heres a link just incase you need one.

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/Accessories-Bike-Ramps/1005-black-aluminium-folding-motorcycle-loading-ramp.html[/font]

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 24 May 2013, 02:55:49 pm »
Cheers, I seen the ramp an forgot to ask about that, grandad is a dab hand at making things like that but may be easier to just buy in.

If the ground is slabbed underneath the shed i think a thin ply floor would do as all of the weight would be taken by concrete slabs.

back home to measure it out in the garden. Although its my garden i might run by neighbour as could be quite big.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 May 2013, 04:23:35 pm »
Cheers, I seen the ramp an forgot to ask about that, grandad is a dab hand at making things like that but may be easier to just buy in.

If the ground is slabbed underneath the shed i think a thin ply floor would do as all of the weight would be taken by concrete slabs.

back home to measure it out in the garden. Although its my garden i might run by neighbour as could be quite big.

Re the slabs, it depends if the shed you get has a raised floor rather than being flat on the ground.

Good idea checking with the neighbour, mine are cool but if someone gets arsey then theres only so much % space of a garden space that can be taken up by a shed,its usually set out in the title deeds of the house.

Good luck! 8)

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 May 2013, 04:53:36 pm »
Mine is 40' x 13' and I can only just fit my bike in it and have no room to work on it due to my car and caravan being in there I could just do with another 10' but then again I'm sure we all could.
Andy

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 May 2013, 07:30:54 pm »
BMI chart?

More topless women needed!

(what's the world coming to)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 May 2013, 07:46:04 pm »

the standard shed floor wont be strong enough on its own,the bike stand will eventually break through and the bike could fall over  :eek ....if you dont want the extra expense of strengthen the floor just bolt the shed to the slabs and do away with the shed floor   ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25 May 2013, 07:58:51 am »
My back garden slopes  right to left, so laid a level concrete base. There is an air gap between shed floor & concrete foundation, shed is 10 x 8 & will take: 1 FZS 600;1 x FZS 1000; 1 x motorised cycle; all garden equipment. Have made shelves for various bottles,containers, lubes, etc.
In 10 years use have had to re-treat outside with creosote ( or equiv) 3 times. Made wooden ramp to ride into shed. Caution!- have to put extra thin block of wood under sidestand to spread load otherwise shed floor would split under pressure. Have replaced roof felt once & fitted "L" shaped brackets to inside of roof apex to prevent sag.
Don't have power/light installed as work done elsewhere.

gassitt

• Local user
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Got lots of others
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25 May 2013, 11:29:52 am »
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Metal-Sheds/BillyOh-Clifton-10-x-8-Steel-Shed
I have this in 10 x 10 on a flag base , room for 4 bikes as storage , or roll one out to work on another .Full size work bench to one side and half depth bench to back and still plenty room for bikes and to be able to work on them.Metal is for life no repainting etc plus a bit more secure than wood. Tad noisy when it rains but ive not come across any other downsides

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25 May 2013, 07:49:04 pm »
You gets what ya pay for! Personally, as an ex-shed build3r of 10 ish years, I wouldnt touch that billyoh shed with a bargepole. If you are having a large shed (10x8 or larger) you WILL need bearers of at least 2x1.5 inches, better still 3x1.5. That shed is just a load of flimsy 4ft panels nailed together, if you ever stumbled or a bike toppled over against the side it would collapse... you dont want many joins in the sides. The doors hafe no cross bracing, also double doors should have a central vertical brace on one door for the other one to shut against to make it more secure. Lastly, the roof looks like osb sheets with no central bearers. That will sag worse than a crackwhores tits.

Sorry, but 'budget' sheds are false economy.

jon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 May 2013, 07:50:54 pm »
I might not know much, but I do know my sheds!  :D ;)

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 26 May 2013, 08:48:30 pm »
a shed head lol.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 May 2013, 05:51:01 pm »
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Metal-Sheds/BillyOh-Clifton-10-x-8-Steel-Shed
I have this in 10 x 10 on a flag base , room for 4 bikes as storage , or roll one out to work on another .Full size work bench to one side and half depth bench to back and still plenty room for bikes and to be able to work on them.Metal is for life no repainting etc plus a bit more secure than wood. Tad noisy when it rains but ive not come across any other downsides

Are you happy with it Gassit?

I don't have the money to be spending on amazing sheds, plus i am not sure how long i'll be in my current house. I just want something that is better than the cover. I am aware in high winds and think a shed would put my mind at ease.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

gassitt

• Local user
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Got lots of others
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 May 2013, 07:19:25 pm »
Yep im happy with it ,Mine isnt actually a billy-oh but they are all pretty much the same.Put a good base down and its a doddle to put together 
Not sure but assuming Jon is talking about the wood shed , which I wouldnt touch either
The metal one does what it says on the tin, dry ,secure and great acoustics for the tunes when spannering  :guitar

jon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 28 May 2013, 09:47:49 pm »
Yup, sorry, was on about that wooden contraption. The metal one looks ok but I know nothing about metal sheds.

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 29 May 2013, 12:55:35 am »
Does anyone have experience with this product. Not strictly a shed but I do not have the space for one and this may just keep the neighbours happy on the front drive. Pricey but a possibility and when I get something that is worth a little more its peace of mind.

http://www.secure-a-bike.co.uk/prijslijst.html

Daz

She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 29 May 2013, 07:44:25 am »
+1 what Jon says
I was a sectional buildings erector for several years, dealing mainly with garden sheds, summerhouses and garages. Also slab bases.
First a good solid level base is key to long life of the building. Slabs laid on dry mix sharp sand and cement is perfect, as we used to lay the bases and erect the building straight on . Some spade work to get your ground level before laying your slabs on a good bed saves faffing on relifting/relaying your slabs because you ain't dug out enough.
Regarding sheds, you get what you pay for, cheap ply roofs or that OSB crap, waste of time. For a start the weather will twist it, heat and cold during the seasons, causing your felt to sag and come away. Also you can't knock s good felt nail in it without it falling to bits. Often they pop the nails out in no time. Your ridge felt then ends up ripping off in the wind.
Floors are crap too, no strength at all, so useless for bikes and stands.
Often with cheap sheds and on larger buildings, they don't have a roof truss to brace the roof, so they sag and you can't get  tight felt runs, meaning it will flex and the felt won't last.
Often the felt supplied is like tissue paper.
A good shed company is Albany sheds in Northampton. We used to erect tons of these, heavy duty range, ideal for bikes. They are not cheap but great quality.
I also recommend using roof shingles on top of felt, I did this to mine and they last for ever.
Mine are fibre type, and have tar strips that the heat of the sun sticks them down. Looks like a tile roof. Fit and forget job.
Wickes sell them now.
Bet your looking at £1000 now for a good 10x8
cheers jacko
« Last Edit: 29 May 2013, 07:47:57 am by jackojet »

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 29 May 2013, 10:19:35 am »
I bought two sheds from here: http://www.shedstore.co.uk/

A large cheap one to keep the rain off light stuff and an expensive one to keep mowers etc in.  Their customer service was excellent, their delivery quick and when 4 panels each had a few warped lats (on the cheap shed, the more expensive one is tongue and groove), they sent me 4 more whole new panels.

I couldn't rate them highly enough.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

snecklifter

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS400
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04 October 2017, 12:33:34 pm »
Yep im happy with it ,Mine isnt actually a billy-oh but they are all pretty much the same.Put a good base down and its a doddle to put together 
Not sure but assuming Jon is talking about the wood shed , which I wouldnt touch either
The metal one does what it says on the tin, dry ,secure and great acoustics for the tunes when spannering  :guitar

I got a metal tin shed too for my bike. It was just delivered last weekend. I got idea from this thread that's why I decided to get the BillyOh 6x4 Ashington from http://whatshed.co.uk/cheap-metal-sheds/ It was surprisingly cheap. The galvanized metal makes it secure to prevent water to come in. My wife normally starts an argument if I place something that will mess her garden, but because of the neat green color design, it blended well with her garden. The best part is the warranty for 15 years and yearly treatment is just  awesome.

So I will revive this thread to thank you for the idea. I was thinking of wood shed at first but you gave the idea to get a metal design. Nice idea!

evesdad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2010 z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 04 October 2017, 09:25:32 pm »
That's a lady shed as it is far too tidy to be a man shed! ;)

You should see my lady garden!!! :b
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210019465938835&set=a.1903426020982.2095332.1101666040&type=3&width=500" width="500" height="470" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

speak for yourself chris.......

:useless
:rollin :rollin :rollin

If it was his ladies garden then maybe but not his lady garden... hahaha  :rollin

Chris
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210019465938835&set=a.1903426020982.2095332.1101666040&type=3&width=500" width="500" height="470" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>  The place exists!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 05 October 2017, 09:52:45 am »
Holy thread resurrection Batman!!!

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 05 October 2017, 08:56:53 pm »
as chief o,harah looks at the red phone  ;)
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)