Date: 16-04-24  Time: 15:03 pm

Author Topic: XJR 1300 Springs in Gen1 forks for a firmer ride  (Read 3564 times)

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
XJR 1300 Springs in Gen1 forks for a firmer ride
« on: 23 May 2013, 03:08:35 pm »
Touched on this briefly in another thread, but for anyone fond of pies, here's a fairly cheap mod to sort the front-end out a bit more.

The forks springs from the XJR1300 can be fitted inside the Fazer's forks, and as they support a bike over 20kg heavier they are better suited to heavier riders if transferred. I found a set that were Ohlins aftermarket springs, claiming to be a further 10-15% stronger than the standard XJR springs, so more suitable for heavier riders.

Instructions: no point in me re-inventing the wheel, so just follow 'Bigworm's instructions for opening up the front forks:
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/bigworm1sforkupgrade.shtml
Reassembly of forks is obviously reverse order of these instructions once you've switched springs & spacers over.

You need to make two smaller spacers in order to fit the longer XJR springs, I used a metal tube from B&Q. Take your original spacer down there & find a metre of metal tubing that has the same dimensions. I *think* it was 10mm diameter tubing with 1mm wall thickness.  My Ohlins springs were 388mm long so the spacers were 24mm shown below. Note that other XJR springs may be a different length so you may need longer / shorter spacers to match!

Difference in spring / spacer length between XJR & Fazer

New setup inside fork leg, note the spacer is far shorter than the original Fazer's spacer

I found the springs to be a good improvement over standard setup, after backing the preload adjusters right off to minimum. I also use much lighter 2.5w fork oil, which I feel also helps compliance over small square bumps.

Obviously other springs from 43mm forks may well be suitable (and not just from Yamaha's), so it's a case of cutting the spacers to size to equal the length of the original fazer spring / spacer setup.