Gavin

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Tyres
« on: 20 May 2013, 08:27:04 am »
Hi All,
Just upgraded my fazer 600 foxeye to gen1 1000 , some bright spark has put a tourer tyre on the rear (looks like a tractor tread) Out on it yesterday and back slipped a couple of times (not going fast) . If anyone can recommend good tyres it would be appreciated.

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2013, 08:36:42 am »
 :eek :eek
that bright spark might have just toured and not flung it round corners etc, respect the man who sold you his trusty steed and its horses for courses
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2013, 08:44:53 am »
What make & type of tyres have you got on the thou @ present?
Have got a pair of Dunlops on mine & never had any probs. Its the combination of Rider & Tyres that determines the type of ride you experience :rolleyes

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2013, 10:55:50 am »
Blimey mine are tourer tyres and they are far more grippy than i will ever need, you don't need to go fast to high side, oil or a mash of your wrist will do it.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2013, 10:59:44 am »
Always had Bridgestones on mine, 020's then 021's. Got some new 023's on the Fazer 8, £225 fitted for front and back. Pretty good all round tyre for my riding style. Mainly touring with the ocassional hooning around.
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

nobleFZS

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2013, 11:18:17 am »
I have an 03 600, so this might not be relevant, but last year I fitted Metzeler Z8 Interacts front and rear. Best tyre I have had and after 9000 barely showing wear. Especially good in the wet.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2013, 11:20:51 am »
Hey gav, just a thought but do you reckon it could be partly due to the extra power of the thou?, if youre so used to the 600 then perhaps youre still a little aggresive with the throttle or using it like the 600's.

From my limited experience id guess the tyre youve got should cope, i only just got some pirelli corsa 2's fitted,exupnut uses them on his thou,consensus is that they're total pap in the wet though,im still scrubbing them in but so far so good but im having to learn a new riding style as ive never experienced a nice new tyre before.

One interesting point though is this-my old tyre,on bike when i bought it,a michellin macadam whatever that is,not a performance tyre but it still outperformed me,almost got it to the edge even though it was old,flat & square,i cant say i ever felt it slide & i havent been shy.you can see in the pic how much 'bigger' it looks, i thought my new tyre was the wrong size :lol

Im actually struggling more with the new tyre trying to get used to the different handling.it is grippier but if i wasnt being such a tyre snob id have some more of those michellin macadams regardless of what anyone thinks about them.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2013, 02:54:12 pm »
I have just put a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 2's on my gen 1, had the Roadsmart 1's before and they were dogs knob. £240 fitted plus a £25 fuel voucher.

Not knowing you personally and how you ride its hard to say what tyre would be best, but you won't go far wrong with the Roadsmarts 1 or 2, Bridgestone BT023, Michelin PR3's  etc, all sport touring tyres. See what you can get the best deal on really and check the manufacture date it will be a number like this in the sidewall 05/13 which = fifth week of 2013.

Performance Bikes did a blind tyre test on a Gen 2 a few years ago with sport and sport touring tyres and the sport touring were measurably better on the road and bruntingthorpe track.

You pays your money etc etc

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2013, 08:00:16 pm »
PR 2's or PR 3's are good. as are the 023's

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2013, 08:32:49 pm »
If vast majority of your journey is commuting, then maxxis Supermax are the way forward. I give them some stick, and they're as good as some of the big brands in my eyes, and I've never had any issues with the three or four pairs that I've used all year round. Some would disagree, but they obviously ride the slower coloured fazers.::)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!