Date: 26-04-24  Time: 23:49 pm

Author Topic: Front preload  (Read 1335 times)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Front preload
« on: 17 May 2013, 06:30:42 pm »
So, for my left preload adjuster you need a spanner to turn it,  all good there, but my right preload adjuster can be adjusted by just the fingers, now its not loose loose by any means but I'm wondering if this variation points to a hidden issue, any thoughts?

I'm wondering if this is contributing to the front end going into a wobbly hissyfit when letting go of the bars (I've checked tyre pressures etc!)
Some say...

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
Re: Front preload
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2013, 11:01:10 pm »
Hi, not an expert by any means but both the preload adjusters on mine can be turned by hand, again like yours they are not loose and there is some resistance but easily turntable none the less, I also had a major handlebar wobble when letting go the bars, a new front tyre seems to have solved it though, so not sure if the preload adjusters are an / the issue regarding the wobble.

Jonesy

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2013, 11:08:39 pm »
Neither of mine can be adjusted by hand - have to get a spanner out to do the job

The forks are probably due a service which I'll get round too soon enough :P

andy352299

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2013, 08:42:33 am »
my preload adjusters were very tight and needed a spanner, virtually ceased and I was concerned about damaging them, a little wd40 and they still need a spanner but move smoothly, a little resistance but no real force reqd. its a 2002 bike so I imagine the rain had got to them

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2013, 09:58:02 am »
Surely a wobble would point to an issue with wheel balancing?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2013, 11:12:39 am »
Surely a wobble would point to an issue with wheel balancing?

Could be caused by balancing, iffy tyre, uneven fork oil levels, etc.
When i had forks with adjusters i don't ever remember moving them by hand, in fact i would've thought it strange if you could move them by hand as they would have pressure on them wouldn't they??

There's also this in the Hot Poop section above:    http://foc-u.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Front_Wheel_Wobble_-_description,_and_possible_causes
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2013, 02:04:07 pm »
If the adjusters feel different either one is stiff because it is binding or for some reason the spring pressure differs between the two sides. Either way, it's worth taking them off and seeing what the cause is.
As for your wobble, while you have the front end propped up to examine the suspension, it's a good opportunity to check wheel balance and that the steering head turns smoothly with no notchiness or slop.