Date: 29-03-24  Time: 08:49 am

Author Topic: Bearing down  (Read 1401 times)

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
Bearing down
« on: 13 May 2013, 08:11:24 am »
Just had a rear wheel bearing fail on me - fortunately just a couple of miles from home so I was able to 'limp' back. I've seen it happen to others but only on much higher mileage machines (40k+), my 04 gen 1 has only done 20k, does that seem low for a wheel bearing failure? What sort of mileage should you get from bearings? And should I be replacing the front bearings as a precaution?
S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Bearing down
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2013, 01:08:02 pm »
It can depend on a lot of factors and isn't purely based on mileage. Age, type of usage (always 2 up?), care etc etc.

A couple of things to note: -

- Pressure washers if not used carefully can dry bearings out.
- Lack of usage can harm bearings as leaving the bike resting for months on end puts all that load onto 1 point of the bearing for a long time, best to leave bike on centre stand and front paddock stand keeping wheels off the ground
- Have the bearings previously been replaced? If so, cheapo parts?
- Winter riding and lack of care, salted seized my sprocket carrier bearing on my FZS600 about 30,000 miles ago.

Not much help but maybe 1 or 2 of these points strikes a chord with you and helps you understand why yours has failed?

Brace

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2013, 01:21:52 pm »
It can depend on a lot of factors and isn't purely based on mileage. Age, type of usage (always 2 up?), care etc etc.

A couple of things to note: -

- Pressure washers if not used carefully can dry bearings out.
- Lack of usage can harm bearings as leaving the bike resting for months on end puts all that load onto 1 point of the bearing for a long time, best to leave bike on centre stand and front paddock stand keeping wheels off the ground
- Have the bearings previously been replaced? If so, cheapo parts?
- Winter riding and lack of care, salted seized my sprocket carrier bearing on my FZS600 about 30,000 miles ago.

Not much help but maybe 1 or 2 of these points strikes a chord with you and helps you understand why yours has failed?

Brace

Cheers for the response,  I never use pressure washers on bikes and am pretty fastidious about care but the lack of use point might ring true - bike was laid-up through most of winter in a slightly damp garage, I can well imagine moisture making its way past the seals and staying there possibly causing problems despite being on the centre stand. I think the failed bearing was the original. New ones in now (I replaced all three at the back) and hopefully I'll get more than 20k out of them!
S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2013, 01:28:50 pm »
Sound like it's just one of those things then. As you say, could be the dampness from the garage?

If they're replaced now, i'm sure you'll get more than 20k for the next time, they are usually pretty bombproof :thumbup

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2013, 01:30:33 pm »
I've never used a pressure washer, always leave the bike on the centre stand when laid up ect, rarely ever ride two up etc.

It's just yer luck.  Can fail at 10,000 miles or 100,000 miles.

My rear bearing collapsed at about 18,000 miles on my Gen1 thou.

The front wheel bearings on my 99 Fazer 600 failed at 20,000 miles.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2013, 01:32:06 pm »
As you say, could be the dampness from the garage?
Dampness getting past the seal?  Not likely.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2013, 02:11:28 pm »
On my 3rd set of rear bearings now and 2nd on front. I live on the sea front and bike get covered in sand. This no mater how much care you take works its way in and screws the bearings up. 40k now and 3 replaced sets LOL.

Moved a but further inland now and have a garage so I hope this will be the last set for a while.

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2013, 04:43:53 pm »
My rear bearings failed at 16k.

Bike is well cared for and not even ridden 2-up.

Mechanic said just one of those things - an item that seems to have a very variable life span. So failure of rear not necessarily indicative of any impending issue with front.
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2013, 05:14:56 pm »
If you fit the sealed for life bearings ( with covers on) its worth popping the covers of with a Stanley blade and adding some grease and refitting the covers as there's not much in them, I was surprised how little is supplied  :eek :eek
Mark