Date: 25-04-24  Time: 11:09 am

Author Topic: Rucksack  (Read 4228 times)

Yammi

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Rucksack
« on: 09 May 2013, 04:00:46 pm »
Hi guys, I have had numerous rucksacks for work but find most are to big.  I used to have a medium sized one from Hein Gericke but they don't seem to make the one that I normally have anymore.  This bag used to be a similar Shape to the hump on the back of leathers, so I was wondering what kind of rucksack you guys could recommend.

Cheers Phil.  :)
I'm a biker, if you need to ask why, you wouldn't understand.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Rucksack
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2013, 04:34:32 pm »
I won't wear one on the bike, too worried about the effect of it if I come off. I use a top box on the 600, and oxford soft bike luggage on the fz1 to carry everything. Once you've had a top box, there's no turning back.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2013, 04:36:24 pm »
It depends on spends. I have a lovely Kriega R25 but I mostly use a cheap one I bought from TK Maxx which cost £14 but has loads of zipped compartments, I find this really useful as places for mobile and driving license and my mega lunch are all separate and easier to get to than having it all in 1 big bag. I also have a thin sheet of Aluminium in the back so I don't get anything sticking into my back. I do tend to fill the bag up though. Also double zips that pull around to the bottom of the bag so the wind can't get in and blow it open. Done that a few times and lost important stuff many a time.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2013, 04:40:46 pm »
As Stevie has said about the top box, he's right but I can't get used to the weight so far back. When I was a courier up north, well London, I used to bungee the box to the pillion seat which kept it nice and close and didn't keep hitting cars whilst manoeuvring. The Aluminium sheet also protects in case of an off. Not tried it though?

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2013, 05:10:03 pm »
As Stevie has said about the top box, he's right but I can't get used to the weight so far back.

A tailpack that you can bungee to the back seat rather than having it hanging right off the back might be a better option, then.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2013, 06:43:11 pm »
I use a tankbag myself. Its a bit cumbersome but the weights in the right place
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2013, 07:08:08 pm »
I go into Uni on my bike, but hate having the topbox on. The backpack I use is an Oxford roll top - and no complaints. Reasonably comfy, even on longer runs, good capacity, and waterproof too (not tested yet). £10 off ebay (it was new too). Can't go wrong.
The Deef's apprentice

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2013, 07:15:38 pm »
I've tried all sorts of rucksacks from made for bikers ones with back protectors to cheap ones from down the market.

Mostly the biker ones are too big with too many straps and far to complex to chuck on and off.

Currently I've got a cheapish one from Sports Direct or one of those chavvy sports shops and it's lasted about 7 years so far.

I am concerned about the back risk in a crash so I only carry soft stuff so that's my sarnies, a bottle of water and my shoes for work (hush puppies softest shoes with squidgy soles)

I'd save your cash and get a cheap one and see how you get on with it.

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2013, 09:21:02 pm »
I use a High Viz ''Think Biker'' ruck sack issued free by my local police force in partnership with a road safety group.

Yammi

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2013, 08:50:45 am »
Thanks guys, for the feedback, got the tank bag, tail pack etc but need a small backpack like I said don't seem to do the Hein Gericke one now which was perfect.  Had a look round yesterday but did not get fixed up as most none motorcycle rucksacks don't have a waist/chest strap to keep the bag tight. If I don't get fixed up I will probably look on line for one.

Cheers Phil. :-)

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2013, 09:27:48 am »
i got one of these at xmas - not used it yet.

http://www.flitwickmotorcyclesexpress.com/knox-k-pack-motorcycle-rucksack/

will let you know after the NW how I got on :)
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Wade90

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2013, 10:04:44 am »
+1 on the Knox K pack, use it everyday to commute in all weathers! Very comfortable, well made and has a hi-vis rain cover stored in a small compartment on the bottom.  Still very pleased with it after 18 months of use!

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2013, 03:40:28 pm »
Check out the gooutdoors web site. Everything from backpacks to rolltop drybags at a fair price.
  • o
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2013, 06:36:10 pm »

i got one of these at xmas - not used it yet.

http://www.flitwickmotorcyclesexpress.com/knox-k-pack-motorcycle-rucksack/

will let you know after the NW how I got on :)

I have this pack. Best one i ever had. Not to big or small. Good in rain. (Zipaway hiviz rain cover) and it'll take a lid.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2013, 07:16:50 pm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2013, 07:54:14 pm »
Its silver simon. Why even bother postin it. Hehe       We all know silver has a higher drag coefficiant. A bit like  gold imho.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2013, 08:35:42 pm »

Yammi

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2013, 08:36:26 pm »
Thanks again for all your feedback very much appreciated,and Simonm that rucksack looks cool. [size=78%]Posted a pic below of my old bag which holds about 15L and this is the size I'm looking for. I have got bigger bags but find them a bit to big for work with just a snapping box and a few bit & bobs which look lost in there.[/size]

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2013, 09:02:36 pm »
It's not silver, it's white with silver accents  ;)

yours isn't even blue :D

The reason I got it was that it's a proper scuba dry bag, no water is getting in that sucker.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2013, 09:05:17 pm »
Thanks again for all your feedback very much appreciated,and Simonm that rucksack looks cool. [size=78%]Posted a pic below of my old bag which holds about 15L and this is the size I'm looking for. I have got bigger bags but find them a bit to big for work with just a snapping box and a few bit & bobs which look lost in there.[/size]
15 litres, you could almost fit that under the seat  ;) (joke)

Yammi

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2013, 11:01:35 am »

Agree with you on that one Simonm, but like the pic I posted the Hein Gericke one did the job for me. Noticed on there website you can't order that one on line anymore, but it does say in store only. The only problem now is they closed the one near to where I live, so still looking. :(

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2013, 12:41:04 pm »
52ltr top box for me.  I stick my Berghaus 30ltr rucksack in there, so for carrying odds and ends it offers a bit of protection and padding, but if I pop to the supermarket for a shop I can fill the top box and throw the extra in my rucksack and bingo I've now got 82ltrs of carrying capacity. 

You might notice the top box at first but you soon get used to it.  Which is a thought if you don't like the weight high up panniers might be the way to go.  And for certain items like cameras, laptops etc they sit better and more secure in the panniers.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2013, 12:52:03 pm »

Agree with you on that one Simonm, but like the pic I posted the Hein Gericke one did the job for me. Noticed on there website you can't order that one on line anymore, but it does say in store only. The only problem now is they closed the one near to where I live, so still looking. :(

I think exupnut has this thread sewn up then  :rollin