Date: 16-04-24  Time: 11:12 am

Author Topic: A good read !!!  (Read 3230 times)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
A good read !!!
« on: 08 May 2013, 05:50:28 pm »
Well with loads of monthly mags and a weekly paper oh and interweb sites what do you recon is a good informative read,the mags are £4 or more now.

I have this months "Ride " mag , a bit same same same , but a little interesting stuff, which one stands out?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: A good read !!!
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2013, 05:56:16 pm »
I used to always get "ride" but found that there was getting less and less in it and found the writers a bit dull. I've still bought it every now and then but cancelled my subscription.

I've mostly been getting bike for the last couple of years. I like their write ups and their photography. All the mags are expensive though... I treat myself to one every now and again if I know it's going to be a long nightshift  ;)

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2013, 07:51:03 pm »
I subscibe to bike magazine but its turning into gs monthly so its not great value for money imho.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2013, 08:03:58 pm »
I subscibe to bike magazine but its turning into gs monthly so its not great value for money imho.

Yes, there have been a lot of Adventure bike write ups in the last year or so. I imagine it's because the best selling bikes in the country at the moment are adventure bikes so they are just trying to appeal to the bigger/fastest selling/growing markets. It does get a bit dull though when you're not that interested in adventure bikes.  :\

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

headgonekneedown

• FOC-U Boris Yeltsin Impersonator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ducati monster s2r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2013, 08:10:27 pm »
motorcycle racer.
best mag out there!

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2013, 10:18:52 pm »
Hi Chris, your right of course its the editors job to put the stuff in that sells and to be fair they do still try to cover all the bases. I have to admit that im a bit anti gs type bikes cos my little legs wont reach the floor from one of them. A good mate has one and he loves it. his last bike was a honda cb600r so a big difference.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2013, 10:40:33 pm »
I like the likes of practical performance bikes & motorcycle mechanics.

I know hee haw about mechanicals but i just find them interesting, i like the old sports bike reviews & its all quite nostalgic, the bikes are more affordable too.

I dont think theres enough females posing on bikes either, i know thats a bit pervy but it just adds to the general appeal, even a sneaky peek at back street heroes shows that it has been diluted down to almost not worthy banging one out status :lol , certainly not in Tesco anyway & i aint buying :b

I do like ride & bike but i really only enjoy the articles about riding techniques as i find them useful as a new rider.the rest of the stuff im not that interested in as i dont have enough money & whilst off roading & round the world adventures are no doubt exciting they dont really represent the type of riding im into.

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2013, 10:44:58 pm »
hey noggy, theres not enough bikes in playboy either.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2013, 11:08:32 pm »
hey noggy, theres not enough bikes in playboy either.

So true!

I mean thats what i hear anyway! :D

Whats the world coming to, i quite like reading mens fitness, like mechanics i dont do fitness but i like reading about it,like bike magazines its the little articles about the science that are interesting,knowledge is all there when i wanna act on it eventually, it keeps me inspired as do some normal bike articles...but come on whys it full o pictures of blokes with their pecs out doin some stupidly ridiculous plyometric one fingered monkey twist.it feels like im buying a gay monthly or somethin, I even turn it over so nobody sees the cover & thinks that. :lol

Get pictures of nice ladies doing some manageable & normal moves stuffed in there for foc sake!!!

Or a lady on an affordable bike doing a dumbell curl with a big can o beer 8)

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2013, 11:25:07 pm »
I like your thinking noggy. If i ever get round to all the mods and stuff ive been meaning to ill have the first fazer on the moon.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2013, 11:31:21 pm »
I like your thinking noggy. If i ever get round to all the mods and stuff ive been meaning to ill have the first fazer on the moon.

:lol

Some of us are already wired to the moon ;)

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2013, 11:57:14 pm »
.Haha best way mate that sanity malarkys not for the likes of us.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2013, 06:23:07 am »
I will check out "motorcycle racer " and "performance bikes" to see if they are worthy of the money
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 May 2013, 06:35:37 am »
I got a subscription to ride but only for the free heated handgrips.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 May 2013, 08:27:00 am »
I think it was a tank bag that reeled me in.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 May 2013, 08:47:10 am »
The Mrs bought me a subscription to 'MCN Sport' last Chrimbo which i find really interesting in keeping informed about whats happening on the worldwide racing scene and some of the photography is stunning. I used to buy Ride, Performance Bikes, Fast Bikes etc on a monthly basis in my younger days when i had disposable income and less responsibilities  :\  but found them all very 'samey samey' eventually and don't buy any of them now. I found they all became very 'Top Gear' where it just seems to be fools larking about in/on expensive machinery i probably won't ever be able to afford and wouldn't particularly want anyway. If i were to subscribe to any of them now it would be something more like Classic Motorcycle Mechanics as it's more informative and has reviews of more realistic machines that i might even be able to afford.
I can also state that i have never bought a bike based on what a journo says as thats just opinion.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 May 2013, 09:36:12 am »
Stopped buying all the"glossy" mags since they cost c £4 a throw. Have been buying MCN every week but am beginning to doubt its relevance to me anymore.
Recently they were testing "Adventure" bikes and two things shocked me: The price of these behemoths loaded with all sorts of expensive electrickery/buttons/bells/whistles and the all-up wet weight of these monsters! :eek  Don't think Charlie & Ewan did us any favours with their "Long Way Round".
The journos have done the "pocket rocket" theme to death-now theyre trying to" supersize my ride".
Just waiting for them to rediscover the joys of  real world bikes like the ones we love! :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 May 2013, 09:46:32 am »
"classic motorcycle mechanics" for me,not every month though as it does repeat itself a bit  ;) 
One, is never going to be enough.....

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 May 2013, 10:03:57 am »
 Motorcycle Sport & Leisure is the one to buy! I would recomend it because in the past I've had a few of my articles in there!
Utter bias aside, it's a good read for everyone, no matter if you ride sports, adventure or are enjoying a 'practical' old crock from the 70s/80s.
And, no I didn't join this forum just to plug it!
Si

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 May 2013, 12:31:48 pm »
I have a subscripotion to Ride this year which I got for Christmas but usually buy it anyway

The power rangers sportsbike mags leave me cold- I will never emulate them and find the chasing of 2 bhp by tweaking the dooflambender beyond anything I want to know - I would rather be out riding my Fazer!

There are various free motorcycle mags on line which you can download on to your electrionic book thingy and I think when my subscription runs out I will take out a web subscription for Ride as I am running out of space to keep them and it seems a shame to throw them away
59 going on 57

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 May 2013, 11:01:00 pm »
I stopped buying bike mags regularly years ago but still buy the odd Ride or Bike and even 'Classic Scooters' when the mood takes me and I've got £5 to spare.

Over the years I've contributed to a few mags as well in the form of letters and a feature on high mileage in MCN - never got anything for any of them though as far as I remember

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 May 2013, 11:06:31 pm »
:agree

I haven't bought bike mags regularly for a long time ajd only occasionally get one if I have a couple bux in the pocket amd I like the look of the cover or they're giving away wallets or snoods or some shit I ain't got.

Moslty nowadays its focus and new scientist and even then I'm downloading them to the phone for reading on the train or during lunch, or indeed, when I should be compiling reports and enforcement notices.
Smell ones mother. Yaas!