Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:10 pm

Author Topic: Exup or not to exup, that is the question.  (Read 5424 times)

bluethou

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exup or not to exup, that is the question.
« on: 26 April 2013, 08:01:24 pm »
Fxxxing thing,

I've serviced it, took it out and put it back in (oo err misses ;) )
now I'm considering junking the whole shebang.
I know the purists will frown in tuning fork disappointment but I've been told by a life long R1 fan that it don't make that much difference.
the bikes a 2001 gen 1 with 15000 miles under its wheels.
Fines are cheaper than front tyres!!

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
Re: Exup or not to exup, that is the question.
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2013, 08:32:20 pm »
OMG! If that geezer in Spain sees this he'll be spitting his Rioja into his paella.  :eek

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2013, 09:53:35 pm »
OMG! If that geezer in Spain sees this he'll be spitting his Rioja into his paella.  :eek

:lol
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2013, 09:59:04 pm »
That geezer in Spain is at this moment in Cornwall contentedly supping his cocoa. :)

If folks want to remove/disable the EXUP, I say 'crack on'.  No skin off my knuckles :lol

portboy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2013, 08:48:39 am »
Atta boy Falc, that Kernow air must have a mellowing effect ! ;) Just going to boot the old Non exup Gen1 up the valley and let her breath and fart naturally.......... :D " Bluethou whip it out."

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2013, 08:54:46 am »
That geezer in Spain is at this moment in Cornwall contentedly supping his cocoa. :)

OOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Cider  :'(

dazedandconfused

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2013, 03:46:19 pm »
I think you'll regret it. Mine didn't have an Exup in when I got it and in my opinion the best thing I ever did was fit one. Depends where in the rev range you live though. If you rarely go below 7k you'll be fine.
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2013, 05:44:59 pm »
I've ridden one with one without and my brothers which is ivanised and i gotta say for pure grin factor keep ur exup and ivanise it mate. U wont ever regret it. They can be problematic but there is so much resource here u shud find an answer in past posts to any probs u may have. If not the falcon is in england and i'm sure if u go fer the ivans mike would help u with ur valve. Oooer mrs lol
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

portboy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2013, 06:07:55 pm »
Same old faces.......... ;)   Exup belongs with the industrial revolution. :z

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2013, 06:46:53 pm »
"exup belongs with the industrial revolution"
in that it is over engineered built to last and still working more than 100yrs after it was made??  :b

Tommo

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2013, 07:26:04 pm »
Each to their own, like it or loathe it. I'll keep mine as long as it works and will tinker with to keeping it working.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exup or not to exup, that is the question.
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2013, 07:26:30 pm »
"Exup belongs with the industrial revolution"

True i suppose but these bikes r retro and to some extent the teck but its there for a reason. Minus the emission laws of that era this bike would have been foccin A. . Mike and mr ivan himself just aims to get round that with this kit and give people a bike as it should have been in the first place. FOCCIN BLISTERIN!!!  Ahem.... 

« Last Edit: 27 April 2013, 07:31:49 pm by Exupnut »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2013, 07:43:04 pm »
Eight minutes is all it takes to service this mechanical valve. Keep it working and it'll give you years of endles yeeehaaah.

Eight minutes every other month....

.... Privided you can get the bolts out  ;)
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

portboy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2013, 08:53:37 pm »
8 minutes is all it takes to bin this heap of mechnical crap, then Ivanise the carbs and modify the air intake. Afterall isnt that what Amal carbs (different size jets and throttle valves ) and the likes of K&N filters with their replacement air filters allowing standard engines to be uprated to a higher performance?

As previously stated " same old faces "   there is none so blind as those who will not see.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2013, 10:57:40 pm »
You certainly know what you're talking about with that last comment. :)

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 April 2013, 07:06:01 am »
my exup valve had been broken for a few years.   One of the bolts for the cover had snapped and i couldn't drill it out.   So with two bolts holding on the cover / housing it didn't go on flush so pinched the valve off centre and jammed it. 

Anyway,  end result was the valve wouldn't rotate so i just removed it.   I took the exhaust off to paint the engine and tidy up the bike as i've done 30,000 miles now.  With the bolt removed and a helicoil fitted at a local engineering shop i could refit the valve.

The result - OMFG  :eek [size=78%]- [/size]i could not believe the effect, it was like a new engine was fitted.   I thought there would be a minor improvement and had forgotten what the bike was like with the exup working.   

I'd always keep a *working* valve - also i've been Ivanised (by the Mike incidentally)

[ although i will be posting a question about valve operation as it doesn't seem to be resetting to the fully closed position - but the performance is night and day ]

portboy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 April 2013, 08:12:33 am »
You certainly know what you're talking about with that last comment. :)

From you my friend I take that as a compliment. ;)

portboy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 April 2013, 08:18:23 am »
my exup valve had been broken for a few years.   One of the bolts for the cover had snapped and i couldn't drill it out.   So with two bolts holding on the cover / housing it didn't go on flush so pinched the valve off centre and jammed it. 

Anyway,  end result was the valve wouldn't rotate so i just removed it.   I took the exhaust off to paint the engine and tidy up the bike as i've done 30,000 miles now.  With the bolt removed and a helicoil fitted at a local engineering shop i could refit the valve.

The result - OMFG  :eek [size=78%]- [/size]i could not believe the effect, it was like a new engine was fitted.   I thought there would be a minor improvement and had forgotten what the bike was like with the exup working.   

I'd always keep a *working* valve - also i've been Ivanised (by the Mike incidentally)

[ although i will be posting a question about valve operation as it doesn't seem to be resetting to the fully closed position - but the performance is night and day ]

Was it possible that you had been experiencing the bikes performance with the exup in a seized closed position and after attending to it has remained in seized in an open position......... ?  :D

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 April 2013, 02:13:38 pm »

Was it possible that you had been experiencing the bikes performance with the exup in a seized closed position and after attending to it has remained in seized in an open position......... ?  :D

I experienced the performance with the exup in a removed position - we could call that open.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 April 2013, 02:45:20 pm »

Anyway,  end result was the valve wouldn't rotate so i just removed it. 

Would seem not.

I have had a ride of a gen1 with sandy spears down pipes no ivans and non ivans with a working valve back to back. There was a noteable diff but wasn't earth shatering. Sandy pipes are ment to be better than just removing the valve, if that's so then I would think the gap between valve in and valve out would be more noticeable again.
Next time I service the valve I will remove it completely and ride back to back to see. But my bike if full monty Ivan which again I belive lessens the gap between the 2.

But at least everyone seems to agree a closed valve is a bad thing :P
Other than that some will swear black is white what ever evidence is produced.

Tilts

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Gas Gas EC300
    • View Profile
    • Dirtcadets.com
« Reply #20 on: 28 April 2013, 10:07:55 pm »
The difference isnt that great, unless your a purist, take it out, and keep it knocked down a gear! 8)
Don't bullshit me, and I wont bullshit you.

ori

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJ6N
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 May 2013, 11:04:46 pm »
I removed my exup valve on my previous thou and, apart from it being a little louder, didn't notice much difference in performance.
My current fazer has never had its valve looked at in 9 years and 43,000 miles and still works like new.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 May 2013, 06:47:45 am »

My current fazer has never had its valve looked at in 9 years and 43,000 miles and still works like new.

How do you know if you've never looked at it? :)  My bet is that the cables need adjustment and the bolts are probably seized, so when something does go wrong, you'll have a job on your hands to fix it.

Plough yer own furrow, folks, but 10 mins to strip and copper grease the EXUP at every minor service seems simple common sense to me.  ;)

portboy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 May 2013, 08:39:23 am »
I always thought Copper grease true application was for high temp threaded items like manifold studs etc, not for moving parts in high temps surely Yamaha could have fitted Graphite impregnated type bearings within the collector box. Still a shit conception though. (Exup that is.) :evil