Date: 23-04-24  Time: 09:40 am

Author Topic: Dealers  (Read 2352 times)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
Dealers
« on: 11 April 2013, 01:19:32 pm »
Just wondering on your opinion of bike dealers and salesmen. 3 of my 4 bikes have been from dealers, including the Fazer and all of them have been in my opinion fairly priced and the dealers have provided good, polite service. The dealers were SP motorcycles in Exeter and Greenlane in Exeter although it think that may have closed now. Personally, I like them but have friends who have had good and bad experiences concerning dealers.

I'm not sure if I am in the wrong here or not, but I phoned up a dealership in Exeter today that I haven't mentioned above and enquired politely about test rides and their policy on them. I mentioned I was interested in their DRZ 400. The guy asked how old I was, which is fair enough as he said you have to be 21 for insurance purposes which I'm not yet, then got really arsey all of a sudden saying how it's impolite to just say "I want to ride your bikes" and how it makes them "nervous" when you ask. Really? I was quite shocked how the conversation turned so abruptly and wasn't really sure what to say. I hadn't been impolite to him and he was making out that because I hadn't come and personally asked them about the bike, sat on it etc (there are about 10 HD pics of it on their website, all details are written about it and I am 6 foot 4 and have sat on similar bikes so know I will fit on it) that I was being rude, he advised me to never start a conversation like that again. I apologised, but it's pissed me off to be honest thinking back as I think he was the one being rude.

I've been to that dealership before and sat on bikes and yes I agree they get an idea of what you are like etc and can gauge a bit better if you are trustworthy but surely they can understand that it's a bit easier to politely phone rather than have a 70 mile round trip in the rain just to sit on a bike ummming and aarring to be told "no" anyway. Not happy.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Dealers
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2013, 01:38:53 pm »
I've never used a dealer for any of my car or bike purchases - they've all been private sales. To be honest, I'm not sure why but I just don't like the idea of buying from a dealer... I have no personal bad experiences but I just feel more comfortable dealing with private sales. In theory you may have more to fall back on with a dealer if things go wrong, but that's if they are willing to play ball. I also find that private sales are often cheaper - I doubt I would have found a dealer selling a Fazer for £750!

As far as your circumstance goes, I probably would have changed my tone to them and told them where to stick it if they are going to act that way. Definitely wouldn't consider buying from them any more.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2013, 01:53:52 pm »
I got screwed over on my 125 by a dealer. The only consolation was I was able to screw them back when I sold the bike back to them! The Fazer I got from them was very tatty, and listed at £1700! Worth about £1000 when I bought it, I reckon

Avoid HGB in Ruislip if you can...
The Deef's apprentice

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2013, 02:47:06 pm »
Just wondering on your opinion of bike dealers and salesmen. 3 of my 4 bikes have been from dealers, including the Fazer and all of them have been in my opinion fairly priced and the dealers have provided good, polite service. The dealers were SP motorcycles in Exeter and Greenlane in Exeter although it think that may have closed now. Personally, I like them but have friends who have had good and bad experiences concerning dealers.

I'm not sure if I am in the wrong here or not, but I phoned up a dealership in Exeter today that I haven't mentioned above and enquired politely about test rides and their policy on them. I mentioned I was interested in their DRZ 400. The guy asked how old I was, which is fair enough as he said you have to be 21 for insurance purposes which I'm not yet, then got really arsey all of a sudden saying how it's impolite to just say "I want to ride your bikes" and how it makes them "nervous" when you ask. Really? I was quite shocked how the conversation turned so abruptly and wasn't really sure what to say. I hadn't been impolite to him and he was making out that because I hadn't come and personally asked them about the bike, sat on it etc (there are about 10 HD pics of it on their website, all details are written about it and I am 6 foot 4 and have sat on similar bikes so know I will fit on it) that I was being rude, he advised me to never start a conversation like that again. I apologised, but it's pissed me off to be honest thinking back as I think he was the one being rude.

I've been to that dealership before and sat on bikes and yes I agree they get an idea of what you are like etc and can gauge a bit better if you are trustworthy but surely they can understand that it's a bit easier to politely phone rather than have a 70 mile round trip in the rain just to sit on a bike ummming and aarring to be told "no" anyway. Not happy.

Greenlane are still going but have moved to Pinhoe now, I have bought twice from dealers and both times the bike wasn't 100% as described, their idea of "mint" obviously isn't mine, but they did sweeten the deal with some extras and sorted out a couple of minor niggles. But I wouldn't use a dealer again, a good private seller who has owned the bike for a while and can prove its been looked after is a far better bet unless buying new / nearly new. Some of the prices dealers ask for ropey old bikes are unbelievable!

Go on, name and shame the dealer who was rude to you  :)

Jonesthesteam

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2013, 03:29:04 pm »
Hmm so far not looking good for the dealers haha. Ah good I'm glad greenlane are still going, I bought my first 2 bikes from there and one of them was a brand new chinese supermoto (oh christ you're all thinking) but it was £1150 NEW and I looked after it, kept it restricted and had a great time on it and learnt lots about the road at a good pace. Never had a problem with it, the 70 mile round trip for servicing at 30mph with the wind at my back was a nightmare but they were always polite and did good work on the bike  :) . Bought my 2nd bike there too second hand, Yamaha sr125 for £700 in pretty good conditIon and sold it private for £700 6 months later without any trouble at all so can't complain. My dad bought his SV there the same day so he gave us a bit of discount too, really nice guy.

Bought my Fazer from SP for £1700 and to be honest private could have got it for £1400 or so but down in devon you seem to pay more I have found. We noticed the carb rubbers were badly cracked and the back tyre was bald (I wish we spotted the leaking fork too), so he chucked that in with the price and a givi rack and top box and was once again very polite and I was happy with the service. It got knocked over recently so I'm getting new panels for free which will help with when I sell it privately (if I do, still not quite 100%).

Hmmm Jones, put it this way it wasn't bridge who I have also found to be very polite too, my mate absolutely loves bridge has test ridden and bought several bikes from there. That probably narrows it down a bit for you, if not then they most definitely are next to Exeter st Davids train station  ;)

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2013, 04:25:40 pm »
Hmm so far not looking good for the dealers haha. Ah good I'm glad greenlane are still going, I bought my first 2 bikes from there and one of them was a brand new chinese supermoto (oh christ you're all thinking) but it was £1150 NEW and I looked after it, kept it restricted and had a great time on it and learnt lots about the road at a good pace. Never had a problem with it, the 70 mile round trip for servicing at 30mph with the wind at my back was a nightmare but they were always polite and did good work on the bike  :) . Bought my 2nd bike there too second hand, Yamaha sr125 for £700 in pretty good conditIon and sold it private for £700 6 months later without any trouble at all so can't complain. My dad bought his SV there the same day so he gave us a bit of discount too, really nice guy.

Bought my Fazer from SP for £1700 and to be honest private could have got it for £1400 or so but down in devon you seem to pay more I have found. We noticed the carb rubbers were badly cracked and the back tyre was bald (I wish we spotted the leaking fork too), so he chucked that in with the price and a givi rack and top box and was once again very polite and I was happy with the service. It got knocked over recently so I'm getting new panels for free which will help with when I sell it privately (if I do, still not quite 100%).

Hmmm Jones, put it this way it wasn't bridge who I have also found to be very polite too, my mate absolutely loves bridge has test ridden and bought several bikes from there. That probably narrows it down a bit for you, if not then they most definitely are next to Exeter st Davids train station  ;)

That was a "speedy" reply  :D

Jonesy

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2013, 04:55:47 pm »
Yamazer-92

Nothing wrong with enquiring about test rides. I recently went to several shops and got various replies from "if you want it you buy it" to "how long have you had your licence"

Basically its down to two things. Company policy and what their insurer will permit. At the end of the day your king with the cash and can always walk away. I did this to a dealer in Doncaster and I informed them due to their policy you are now going to observe 6 grand walk out your shop.

With saying this I went private after this and still the seller would not let me test ride even though I was prepared to leave the money with him. To be honest when I sell a bike on its strictly no test rides even if potential purchaser has insurance as the bike is not covered only the rider 9 out of 10.

I go to dealers with my own vehicle and leave it there whilst test riding as this helps them to trust me and of cause look the part with the gear.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2013, 09:35:30 pm »
Only ever had good service from the parts guys.
Wouldn't give my dealer a squirt of piss never mind money.

SMC Sheffield  along with CMC
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2013, 09:36:28 pm »
Just to add,  sometimes its unavoidable for genuine parts etc.
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2013, 09:54:33 pm »
Would you buy a car without a test drive?

No, not even a new one, so you should expect a test ride and walk away if one is refused.

I find a good gauge is to ask if the dealer has any objection to me arranging an AA or RAC (or similar) inspection on the bike before buying.

I've had some flat refuse to allow such an inspection and some say no problem, speaks volumes

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2013, 10:05:51 pm »
Only ever had good service from the parts guys.
Wouldn't give my dealer a squirt of piss never mind money.

SMC Sheffield  along with CMC

I do my window shopping and research at these places then source accordingly, but your spot on. Although someone has to purchase new so that I can buy privately and its a scam not to let test rides and Streetbudgie makes some good points, but the only checks I do is of other peoples experiences with dealers where I will not take one bad experience as the definative. I will ask the hard questions to see their reaction and if possible do it face to face and watch the body language.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2013, 04:14:13 am »
I bought my bike new from motorbike city in farnborough and they were great. they gave me a good price on my old bike and a good deal on the new one. services were all good and the staff and owner are still really helpful whenever i go there. it just makes sense to look after your customers.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2013, 10:46:04 am »
I'm not keen on sale men at all. The product should sell itself. I don't mind the haggling but my rule of thumb is to turn up in jeans and a hoody and see how they treat me. I will choose a dealer based on their reaction.

Having said that I bought my first car from a dealer, my second from drivethedeal after the dealer wouldn't price match.

You roll the dice, you try your luck  :rolleyes
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2013, 02:15:34 pm »
I think buying used from dealers is a nightmare.  Buying new is tricky enough, especially if there are niggles / warranty claims to sort out.

FWIW I bought the FZS600 new in 2000 over the internet from some other brand that was the internet arm of motorcycle city.  Never sat on a Fazer before so bought 'blind' after reading details form an earlier version of this site.  It has to be said buying over the internet was great.  Find bike, put in credit card details, a couple of phone calls were made to arrange delivery dates and I had to send in insurance, then delivered to the door.

12 years later bought a new car from a dealer - appreciated the ability to test drive and the ability to haggle (they price matched a competitor - but only after I walked away for a could of weeks and phoned up and got another salesman).  Had to laugh at another place though - they had used cars  at a higher price than the new car I bought - and new ones have a lifetime warranty for the first owner.  Worth looking around.

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2013, 10:20:02 pm »
I recently bought mine from Greywood Moto near Poole over t'internet. The day it was due to be delivered I got a phone call from Rob saying the battery had gone flat and the bike wouldn't start but the delivery firm would jump start it. My first thought was "What the fuck have I bought?" But fair play to him for forewarning me and not playing ignorant which he could easlily have done. Anyway, bike turned up, courier couldn't start it, his jump pack was flat, so I commenced mentally rehearsing speeches to the Mrs. about wasting £2k on a non running piece of shit and phoned Rob. We agreed that I'd source a battery and he'd pay for it. Went to Keith Dixon, picked one up, phoned Rob and was reimbursed via paypal there and then. Top service.
It will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.