Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:53 pm

Author Topic: Wot a pillock (me)  (Read 11597 times)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Wot a pillock (me)
« Reply #50 on: 08 April 2013, 10:01:30 am »
I'm sure it's down to experience. Lack thereof. The problem is that now I've had two tumbles my confidence is kinda shot. I'll do loads of sharp bends and stuff perfectly happy then I'll get to a corner, even at low speed, and just freak that there is some gravel or grit there. In the time it takes for me to get my composure back it's too late. It is, to me, important to note that both of my tumbles have been at low speed, we're talking 5-10 mph so hopefully some expert tuition will help me to handle these things.

I know people are trying to help but I need biking. My life is low, I'm depressed, riding makes me happy. With a 3 year old boy and a 3 week old boy I need to make sure that I practise on a track or something to rebuild my confidence but safely.  Expert tuition may be an answer but I don't like the idea of learning on the road (although I know that is where most of the learning comes from)

I don't ride like a madman, I am generally safe, considerate and have foresight, forward thinking etc. I just don't have the experience or confidence imo.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2013, 10:30:08 am by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 08 April 2013, 10:25:52 am »
Here's an idea. If it's gravel that you're worried about why not buy a cheap scrambler or rent one and do a bit of off road training. You'd get a feel for the bike sliding around under you

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 08 April 2013, 01:44:44 pm »
If you are having issues with slow corners then I would suggest that track riding may not be of much help in regard to this - don't get me wrong, I'm sure track days are awesome and you'd really enjoy it and learn a lot, but probably nothing towards going slow.

My advice would be to take your bike to the local supermarket car park when no-one is around and start doing chicanes and loops around the lamp posts at low speed to get a feel for the bikes balance at low speed. Someone did mention Twist Of The Wrist II as well which has a huge amount of information and is aimed at being a "Cornering Bible". Not all of it is relevant - the latter half is more about track riding in my opinion. But the information about breaking around corners, throttle control and counter-steering were hugely helpful for me to understand the forces at play and how to control my bike. Remembering how to counter-steer properly whilst going a little too fast in a corner has helped me on several occasions :)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 08 April 2013, 03:04:19 pm »
I agree with his dudeness, I started on a chinese supermoto bike with crappy nylon tyres and it used to slide about like a bastard if I wasn't careful especially as the brakes were quite good in comparison to the tyres. It was actually quite manageable though I even had a real nasty one on ice once and christ knows how but I saved it. Granted it was half the weight of the fazer but as I have said in another thread one of my forks is knackered and I feel the back end slide in corners on occasion as a result, it gives you the willies but I am used to a bit of slide in corners so have faith in the tyres which are excellent on this bike. As someone has stated though, everybody has different levels of feel for vehicles but still having some past experience with small slides can be helpful. Tensing up like you describe is NOT a good idea. Is the fazer your first bike?

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 08 April 2013, 05:31:59 pm »
I do sympathise with you, I dropped mine a few weeks ago. Purely my fault. Had to change line whilst braking and lost the front on a wet drain cover. Thankfully crash bung took the worst but wrecked the nose cone.
I got away with badly sprained wrist and badly bruised knee.
The important thing is to know what you did wrong but also to know what you should have done.
Then armed with that info you can practice better techniques.
When I did my test I only had half day with instructor on the way to the test.after a while of him following me he kept telling me I was rushing things and trying to do too much at once? Looking, ,gear change, braking.
I didn't get what he meant until he made me follow him. And I realised how much in advance you can actually anticipate and react accordingly. The outcome is that you are already doing the right thing in the right place.
I dont think you need a mass of tuition but maybe half day following and then assessed by a instructor.
Good luck getting back in the saddle.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #55 on: 09 April 2013, 12:32:05 am »
Sorry to hear about your off :(

There's some very good advice about cornering and bike control in this document as well as some very helpful exercises to practice your manoeuvring.

After something like this your confidence is going to take a knock, but as long as you learn what you did wrong, you can apply that to your riding in the future and you'll be all the better for it. Just recently I was taking a street corner near where I live and remembered that when I started riding I used to have all sorts of problems getting a smooth turn around it, but now I cruised around it with nary a worry, so just keep practicing, stay in your comfort zone until you feel confident and you'll soon be out there having fun again :)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 09 April 2013, 02:43:11 am »
The last few answers have really helped me. Thanks for the input.

The fazer is my first bike. I understand it's quite heavy and powerful as a first bike but it did seem like a good choice and I still don't regret it. I have clocked up 700 miles or so since I passed my test in Jan but I definitely need to do some low speed. Manoeuvring in a car park, read up on cornering, watch twist of the wrist all the way through and get some pro guidance too.

Thanks lads  :D
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 09 April 2013, 10:07:42 pm »
The last few answers have really helped me. Thanks for the input.

The fazer is my first bike. I understand it's quite heavy and powerful as a first bike but it did seem like a good choice and I still don't regret it. I have clocked up 700 miles or so since I passed my test in Jan but I definitely need to do some low speed. Manoeuvring in a car park, read up on cornering, watch twist of the wrist all the way through and get some pro guidance too.

Thanks lads  :D

Glad you're smiling simon,
out of curiosity, if you passed in Jan then did you do the Mod1/Mod 2, how did you get on with all the slow stuff?, i mean you passed it, figure of 8,swerve test, u turn etc.did you find it easy in the end? if so then maybe you could approach the same school,(or a different one) to ask if you can spend half a day with them on your Fazer to alleviate a few of your fears, heck leave the fairing all busted up & stuff so you're not worrying about a slow speed spill too much in that controlled environment or damaging a bike thats only just been repaired.
I still practice the odd u turns without putting my feet down even though its easy to get lazy & not bother & i quite fancy going somewhere to do like a mini obstacle course just for fun really & learn the Fazers characteristics
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 09 April 2013, 11:55:35 pm »
First off simonm i,m very glad your o.k,came off my bike 4 weeks ago,wrote the bike off and broken collar bone,but it,s not put me off (already got me new bike ready for me ).I have seen a lot of people saying watch twist of the wrist,now yes it is a very good video to watch but i think as a newish rider if you do watch that video your head would just have to much info there to even go round a corner.I mean yes we all know about counter steering we,ve done it since riding a push bike but doing 30mph round a bend while thinking what Code explained would be just too much.Do it at your own pace and if that means slowing the cagers down a tad while going round a corner then sod them.And yes i watched twist of the wrist,next day came up to the first roundabout thinking what he had explained and nearly came to a stop  :) .
Everyone at their own pace.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 10 April 2013, 12:04:29 am »
Best advice I can offer is to focus on only one or two key aspects of Twist of the Wrist at a time. Learn how to counter-steer properly and how to manage your throttle (steadily roll it on throughout the entirety of the bend). These two are relatively easy to remember and work on and are likely to offer the best improvements initially :) As I mentioned before, a lot of the second half of the video is more for track riding imo where you want to start shaving tenths of a second off your lap times.

I need to work on my slow speed manoeuvring as I lost my damn balance on Sunday trying to do a U-turn and dropped the bike :( Mind you, I think it was probably an absolutely hilarious spectacle to watch when it happened and luckily the only new damage was a few minor marks on the link pipe. The fairings were already cracked from the previous owners... still, my pride was hurt as this was my first drop in the 18 months since I passed :( I still blame the freezing cold making my feet numb though haha

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 10 April 2013, 12:06:32 am »
Best advice I can offer is to focus on only one or two key aspects of Twist of the Wrist at a time. Learn how to counter-steer properly and how to manage your throttle (steadily roll it on throughout the entirety of the bend). These two are relatively easy to remember and work on and are likely to offer the best improvements initially :) As I mentioned before, a lot of the second half of the video is more for track riding imo where you want to start shaving tenths of a second off your lap times.

I need to work on my slow speed manoeuvring as I lost my damn balance on Sunday trying to do a U-turn and dropped the bike :( Mind you, I think it was probably an absolutely hilarious spectacle to watch when it happened and luckily the only new damage was a few minor marks on the link pipe. The fairings were already cracked from the previous owners... still, my pride was hurt as this was my first drop in the 18 months since I passed :( I still blame the freezing cold making my feet numb though haha

Thanks for making me grin.  :lol

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 10 April 2013, 12:12:57 am »
Thanks Adrian and noggythenog too :-)

I think I'll give twist of the wrist a viewing this morning and go do some slow maneuvering later on. I'm not going to bother getting the bike repaired beyond getting the cracks in line and using a soldering iron to glue them back together. I may have a word with a local body shop and see if the fuel tank can be pushed put again cheaply but I'd not its not the end of the world and it's the reason I only bought a 1400 quid bike in the first place.

Sorry to hear about your collar bone, I have a stonking bruise on my hand and my shoulders and legs still ache but I'm glad nothing was broken.

Adrian, you're an inspiration  :)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 10 April 2013, 12:37:03 am »

You are more than welcome, we all do idiotic things but the way I fell over, even thinking back on it makes me chuckle as it was insanely funny. I sort of hopped a bit, slipped went over with legs up in the air and everything haha. No bugger stopped to help me mind, but I was back on the bike and off again after a quick look around to make sure nothing was totally buggered. Bike performed well throughout the rest of the day and I soon got my confidence back and was chasing down the mad men on their litre bikes ;)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 10 April 2013, 12:46:00 am »

You are more than welcome, we all do idiotic things but the way I fell over, even thinking back on it makes me chuckle as it was insanely funny. I sort of hopped a bit, slipped went over with legs up in the air and everything haha. No bugger stopped to help me mind, but I was back on the bike and off again after a quick look around to make sure nothing was totally buggered. Bike performed well throughout the rest of the day and I soon got my confidence back and was chasing down the mad men on their litre bikes ;)

I think I need to look at my gear linkage as it may be bent. It was all a little weird riding the bike afterwards, the gear changes were not normal. I might do that in the morn before I watch the twist of the wrist.

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 12 April 2013, 10:12:44 pm »
hey! bad times mate but dont get too down hearted......

i fell off mine twice in my 1st month of riding...

im 2years in now and (touch wood) havent had another bash since.....

My mrs crashed her bike the other day on her 1st ever ride out after passing her CBT and just carried on....

Keep your chin up, believe in yourself and your bike and you'll feel better....

hope bikes better now...!
Ride It Like You've Stole It

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 12 April 2013, 10:15:47 pm »

My mrs crashed her bike the other day on her 1st ever ride out after passing her CBT and just carried on....

Thanks Ton13  :D

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 12 April 2013, 10:32:41 pm »

Lol no probs!
how is the bike now? just read through some of the replys and i definately agree with learning to counter steer etc... it took me ages and im still not as quick and fearless as the others i ride with.... luckily for me my friend used to race and takes brilliant lines when riding so i can follow him.... if he can do it then i know it can be done...!
 :D
Ride It Like You've Stole It

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 12 April 2013, 10:41:48 pm »

Lol no probs!
how is the bike now? just read through some of the replys and i definately agree with learning to counter steer etc... it took me ages and im still not as quick and fearless as the others i ride with.... luckily for me my friend used to race and takes brilliant lines when riding so i can follow him.... if he can do it then i know it can be done...!
The bike isn't too serious but not pretty. I know about counter steering etc,I just need practise so I don't freeze up and have confidence in the bike and the tyres and the road.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 13 April 2013, 10:48:47 am »

Lol no probs!
The bike isn't too serious but not pretty. I know about counter steering etc,I just need practise so I don't freeze up and have confidence in the bike and the tyres and the road.

Funny you should mention tyres, as i was gonna say before that having faith in tyres is so important that they can affect the way you ride.
Even one small slip is one too many in my opinion.
I've used different brands of tyres on front and back since i've had the bike and through sheer luck they have worked perfectly together so i have stuck with them throughout. (Metzeler M1 front, Bridgestone BT21 rear). That combo may not be everyone's cup of tea but for my way of riding i've found them to be faultless, and completely trustworthy, so i've had absolutely no desire to fix what ain't broke.
Although i don't believe in being totally mugged off with certain tyre prices, i also don't believe in scrimping on them either because they are the contact between you and the road and possibly the most important thing in keeping you upright.
You've gotta remember that there's probably less area than the palm of your hand of rubber touching the road, and that's got to stop you, and the weight of the bike at high speed. We don't have the luxury of 4 wide flat tyres like cars do, so bike tyres are severely overworked in comparison.
You can get bargains if you shop around, my last 2 front tyres i bought together were on sale from M&P for £35 each, but more importantly read reviews for different types of tyre. There are several sites that give good, honest opinions from bikers own experiences, as well as this forum if you do a search, but take into account the way people describe the way they're riding as well. Obviously some people can ride quite aggressively whereas others may just use the bike for work so certain areas simply may not apply to you. The idea of me getting my knee down on the way to work is not only quite a ludicrous thought, but also totally unnecessary!
Once you have that confidence behind your tyres then it can ultimately change the way you ride, so can only add to a better riding experience.  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.