Date: 18-04-24  Time: 08:28 am

Author Topic: Heated grips!  (Read 7241 times)

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Heated grips!
« on: 18 March 2013, 12:06:19 pm »
After fitting my Tech 7 grips (and doing the how to guide for them) they have died.

The left grip has worn through to the heating element where I grip the bar, and the right ones cable has come loose and has an intermittent connection.

Not impressed seing as I have done less than 500 miles on them! Busters want me to send them back for a replacement, which is a pain becuase I will have no grips, and they will obviously replace with the same lot that are equally as crap.

Can anyone make any recomendations for heated grips that actually last?

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Heated grips!
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2013, 12:08:12 pm »
Oxford and get Busters to swap yours for these and offer to pay the extra

"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2013, 12:08:33 pm »
Dont they have the dodgy controller?

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2013, 12:16:17 pm »
had mine on for last four years and no issues and the controller is just a push buttom to turn on and raise temp and lower ok bit more strenuous than a dial but for quality of prouduct and warm hands its not that bad a choice
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2013, 12:41:16 pm »
Well Ive used R&G heated grips this winter combined with Tucano Urbano muffs. Not too impressed with these either. Already extremely worn on the topside, my old oxford/roxter grips took most of the year to get to this stage. Doubt I'd be as lucky to get offered a refund/replacement!
Heres a cheap despatchers trick/fix. Get some heat shrink tape ~50mm and slip over the grips, then heat and shrink to the grip. Then you've got an insulated heated grip again -simples  :)

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2013, 01:31:16 pm »
Thats good to know! Shame the righth hand size one is faulty as well, or it would have been an easy fix.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2013, 01:53:32 pm »
If you look in the bike magazines they frequently do free heated grips with a subscription which I think is pretty good value. My oxford ones came with ride magazine and although they are the 'light' ones(designed for low draw for 250's) they only draw 3 amps but give loadsa heat. If you're interested I can tell you the deal and you can try and wangle if from them :-)
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2013, 01:54:43 pm »
Contact tech7 direct I'm sure they'll just send you some gratis.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2013, 04:46:08 pm »
Contact tech7 direct I'm sure they'll just send you some gratis.

:agree
and mention that you do reviews / product install guides - linking them to your reviews. Infer that you will need to update your articles on the lifespan of the ones you got.

might get an "Upgrade"
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2013, 02:27:06 am »
Get some Oxford ones; I think it was the old (now defunct) controllers that were faulty (most of which will have been replaced by now anyhow). Go back to Busters and see if they'll let you pay the difference on the Oxfords, rather than replacing like-for-like crap ones.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2013, 07:04:04 am »
Get some Oxford ones; I think it was the old (now defunct) controllers that were faulty (most of which will have been replaced by now anyhow). Go back to Busters and see if they'll let you pay the difference on the Oxfords, rather than replacing like-for-like crap ones.

I agree that oxford are afaik pretty much the defacto aftermarket standard and not too expensive either. I'd be tempted, if you can afford it, to complain to tech7 directly and do the subscription thing to get some free grips too

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 March 2013, 07:07:45 am »
I dunno if this helps..  If it works. I never even knew android would allow me to attach files. PDC.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 March 2013, 07:40:24 am »
There was a sister magazine from the same company which gave a full set of grips but I didn't see that until after the fact. In addition I was attracted to the make and the fact that it only ever draws 3amps. From the info I found the out put was something like 80% of the normal grips but be aware 56 percent of statistics are made up on the spot.

The mounting of the switch on this is flush. I mounted it in the right hand side fairing but yo could put it anywhere. Just be aware the switch and led are quite invasive for an install. The grips are fab tho. I love em.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 March 2013, 01:46:56 pm »
Many thanks! I like the idea of going back to tech-7 but they seem to be a company name made up for busters/mission. I cant find any information on the actual company on the web.

Many votes for the oxford grips! I will defo go down that road I think. The subsription idea sounds good. Get a Ride subcscription out of it as well!

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 March 2013, 01:48:51 pm »
Let me know if you want me to post pics of the control and led.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 March 2013, 01:50:07 pm »
Is it like this:

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 March 2013, 01:54:02 pm »
no. not at all. its an ip65 3 way switch and a 2 colour led.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 March 2013, 01:54:38 pm »
Do they only have 2 heat settings then?

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 March 2013, 02:14:08 pm »
fraid so. i think anything more than off, low and hot is just greedy  :lol

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 March 2013, 02:14:44 pm »
Hmm should be enough though. Looks good!

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 March 2013, 02:17:07 pm »
like I said though. There was a better set of grips in a ride sister magazine around he same time.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 March 2013, 02:19:12 pm »
bike, performance bike or something. it would be a back issue now.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 March 2013, 02:37:05 pm »
Hmm fair enough. I will probs go for those though. Thanks very much!

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 March 2013, 09:12:56 pm »
had same prob with my tech 7 grips on missus bike put the left side on wrong tried twisting to put it right voila grip rubber all knacked now after about 300miles riding right hand side not working not good  :'(

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 April 2013, 05:34:36 am »
What was the outcome of this?