Date: 03-05-24  Time: 01:20 am

Author Topic: After the Oil Additive thread -> Here's a Fuel Additive thread!  (Read 4945 times)

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
Here's the story so far......

Bike running sweet except for a little hesitation at times at extreme low revs (1000-1500rpm). More than likely its slightly blocked pilot jets. Not wanting to take out the carbs as the problem isn't that major, I was looking at maybe an easier softer solution like buying something to flush through with the fuel that might dislodge the gremlins and do the trick. :2guns :look

I was looking at some STP products in a local car accessory shop, and sort of found something that I thought might be worth a bash. But I had to decide weather to pick their standard "red bottle" fuel cleaner (€9) that you apply at every fill up, or their most expensive high strength complete fuel system cleaner & maintenance (€22) that is applied at every oil change. Since you mix a bottle of the high strength complete fuel system cleaner with about 60lts of fuel, you will have to use one bottle over 3 fill-ups approx, so its the equivalent of using 3 x €9 worth of the standard fuel cleaner anyway.

The upshot is that even though i'm sceptical about such products....its seemed to have actually worked!! After my 2nd fill-up, I noticed that the bike is running even more sweet now and that the low down hesitation seems to be gone. Here is a photo of the product I bought, and there is a link as to the different strength that each product has. The product I bought has the highest strength...hence I suppose the highest strength price too!

But warning....Try it at your own risk and at your own loss if it don't work for you. I'm only sharing my experience with it and I am not advocating anyone to go out and purchase it. But after my experience, I personally think it is well worth for me to do it maybe every 2 oil changes when my plugs and filter are due, just to keep on top of the fuel system so that it is clean and lubed on a fairly regular basis.

Your thoughts?........................

http://www.stp.com/products/fuel-additives/fuel-additives-comparison/

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
Re: After the Oil Additive thread -> Here's a Fuel Additive thread!
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2013, 12:34:27 am »
Ha ha....I just noticed (in the link below) that the product contains Jet Fuel!!! Maybe I might be able to fly from Cork to Heathrow on my Fazer!!!  :thumbup

http://www.stp.com/products/fuel-additives/complete-fuel-system-cleaner/

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2013, 12:43:01 am »
Watch out packie...you seem to hav cought the highly spreadable additive bike flew..

You'll be using darssi8 next......i mean activ8 ;)

Ive been reading an interesting article about the modern fuel scandal & it aint good for any bike,less good for carb'd bikes & only set to get worse.

Ill post up some details at a more decent hour.

Its a bit pish really that in 2013 we seem to be going backwards in terms of reliability caused by so called eco measures that are actually generating more production.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2013, 01:17:49 am »
The materials safety data sheet usually gives away some useful information on products like this where the manufacturer is keen to keep the facts hidden behind a good sale pitch.
Yes, it's mostly jet fuel...a.k.a paraffin. Plus some aromatic hydrocarbons. So, pretty much the same as diesel.  :lol

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2013, 02:52:12 am »
The materials safety data sheet usually gives away some useful information on products like this where the manufacturer is keen to keep the facts hidden behind a good sale pitch.
Yes, it's mostly jet fuel...a.k.a paraffin. Plus some aromatic hydrocarbons. So, pretty much the same as diesel.  :lol

Well I couldn't give a monkeys if they put urine into it, it sorted my carbs out so i'm a happy camper!! :lol

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2013, 05:15:38 am »
Heard it works for people. Didn't do any harm on my bike, but not sure if it helped (put it several times after winter break, but never had problems with my carbs).
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2013, 07:50:53 am »
Just read a great review on it from a lady in Catford:

"....i brought this product as my car kept cutting out when it was low on petrol...." :rollin :rollin :rollin
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2013, 10:53:01 am »
Just read a great review on it from a lady in Catford:

"....i brought this product as my car kept cutting out when it was low on petrol...." :rollin :rollin :rollin

hmmmm....maybe she needs to invest in one of these!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2013, 04:51:24 pm »
Okay, credit where credit is due, as some of you may be aware ( :lol ) i don't mind trying out the odd magical potion on the bike, so i thought i'd give the STP a go and see if it would benefit the cold starts in the mornings.
I put half of the 400ml bottle into a full tank of petrol 3 days ago and i must admit i've noticed a difference.
Obviously i didn't notice anything the first day, but on the 2nd day the bike warmed up a bit quicker and seemed a little bit bit perkier on the way to work (unlike me  :\ ).
Then today the bike had a definite feeling of "general well being".  :thumbup
Maybe i did have a very slight blockage in the carbs, who knows, but the bike's running very nicely indeed.
I'll put the other half of the bottle in on the next fill up so it does a thorough job over a period of time, but i s'pose i'll know for sure when it's been used up in the tank and the bike is running on just unleaded rather than added "jet fuel".
We shall see, i'll keep you posted....  :) 

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2013, 01:53:29 am »
Or you could use this!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BRIGGS-AND-STRATTON-FUEL-ADDITIVE-FOR-2-4-STROKE-ENGINE-/181044872909?pt=UK_Lawnmower_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a271d86cd  Good to use with fresh fuel before/after winter storage to.

If you wanna stick a £1.75 additive in your bike,you go for it........we're here to help  :)

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2013, 08:36:20 am »
I was actually gona try dipetane, not sure how effective it might be with carbs but does wonders with the car I must say

Helps emissions extensively, are bikes tested for emissions in the mot? Don't have a test for bikes here
« Last Edit: 23 March 2013, 08:38:20 am by reillypadraig »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2013, 10:51:44 am »
I don't think emissions are part of a bike MOT.
There doesn't seem to be any recommendation to use Dipetane on bikes anywhere for some reason?
Even on their own website!

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2013, 11:32:53 am »
Did notice that, but did see a few posts about it on biker.ie

Oh had a good laugh this morning at a post, some lad went and instead of dipetane he put ditane 975 in the petrol tank(I.e it's a wettable power that you mix to spray for blight!!!! Hahhahahaha hahahha)
What a twat ( it said the fuel smelled "sweet" lol)

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2013, 11:52:47 am »
I wouldn't use a fuel additive on a long term basis only after storage to clean the system & been useing it for 10years + with absolutely no bad affects what so ever so if you wonna buy expensive bs in a branded bottle go ahead!.   

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 March 2013, 02:01:04 pm »
I wouldn't use a fuel additive on a long term basis only after storage to clean the system & been useing it for 10years + with absolutely no bad affects what so ever so if you wonna buy expensive bs in a branded bottle go ahead!.

30ml @ £1.75 works out at over £23 for 400ml in comparison.
I can't get my head around 60ml making any impact on a 20 litre tank of fuel, that is very diluted.
But, i haven't personally tried it so if you say it works then fair enough! 

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2013, 07:13:49 pm »
Ah no I wouldn't use it on a constant basis, maybe just buy one bottle and use it between the cage and the bike just to help with emissions and cleans the carbon out a little but that's it, It wouldn't be cost effective to use it like that. Maybe on diesel yokes it helps more but just my 2 cents.

Not giving advice or anything

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2013, 07:47:55 pm »

30ml @ £1.75 works out at over £23 for 400ml in comparison.
I can't get my head around 60ml making any impact on a 20 litre tank of fuel, that is very diluted.
But, i haven't personally tried it so if you say it works then fair enough!

I agree. First up, I bought it to clear a specific problem...and it did.

But if i bought it for the purpose that "Bandit" bought it for just to run through the system after a period of being of the road, then my 400ml works out about €4 cheaper over time.

So let me figure....Do i use a well know brand name that has more strength and works out cheaper.... or use some rather unknown ebay stuff that works out more expensive. Hmmmm....I wonder whose spending they're money on actual BS now! :o
« Last Edit: 23 March 2013, 07:50:45 pm by packie »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 March 2013, 10:39:16 pm »
As said only use to clean out fuel system after period of not being used to clear tarnish & gunk from carbs as I found draining carbs not a very good idea (more trouble than its worth) fresh fuel & additive, as fuel now contains cleaning agents anyway.   

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 March 2013, 03:18:32 am »

As said only use to clean out fuel system after period of not being used to clear tarnish & gunk from carbs as I found draining carbs not a very good idea (more trouble than its worth) fresh fuel & additive, as fuel now contains cleaning agents anyway.

....and as I questioned (without a still credible response) to your "if you wonna buy expensive bs in a branded bottle go ahead" comment....

I wonder which cleaner is actually the BS one??....the  one designed by STD for Car & Motorcycles engines that is actually cheaper.....or the more expensive cleaner that you are using designed with small lawnmower engines in mind???

....hmmmm!....maybe you should have done the maths before jumping the gun in your second post!!  :fish
« Last Edit: 24 March 2013, 03:20:27 am by packie »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 March 2013, 07:46:01 am »
At £14.99 a bottle in the UK?  an alternative is:

Wynn's 'Start You Bastard' Engine Additive Advert
  :D

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 March 2013, 10:19:46 am »
Ha ha....Checkmate!! I have nothing to come back on that one....priceless!!  :rollin