Date: 19-04-24  Time: 05:54 am

Author Topic: Front brakes binding  (Read 1777 times)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Front brakes binding
« on: 17 March 2013, 01:25:07 pm »
Hello folks,

Need some help with binding front brakes.

Installed new pads yesterday.

All went smoothly when installing them.

But the brakes are now binding a bit.

I did spray some brake cleaner in there to clean the grime off pistons before pushing them back in.

But I didn't use any copper grease because I was nervous of using grease near the brakes, and thought I could more easily add later if required than remove.

Any advice? What should I be looking for? Is it just a matter of taking pads out again and cleaning thoroughly?

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks, Andy

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Front brakes binding
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2013, 02:01:29 pm »
Very light copper grease is smeared on the back of the pads.
Red rubber grease is what's smeared around the exposed parts of the pistons.
Make sure your pads pins are thoroughly cleaned up with wire wool, then they can have a light smear of copper grease as well.
It really depends on how easily you can move the pistons, but chances are if you have no history of maintenance then the calipers may need a proper clean up as a pot may be seizing on the inside rather than what you can see.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2013, 06:16:23 pm »
I had the same issue with mine after cleaning them all up. After coming back to them after a 4 week lay off, they were binding on again. I knew they were fine so I went for a short ride and that freed them up. I don't know if it's the heat that gets generated, but it worked and they are still ok.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2013, 12:30:43 am »
Hi,  does the copper grease go between the pads and the shims or on the back of the shims?
« Last Edit: 18 March 2013, 12:31:20 am by andybesy »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2013, 08:06:38 am »
Hi,  does the copper grease go between the pads and the shims or on the back of the shims?

I've never actually had shims on mine, but i'd still put it on the back of the pad.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2013, 12:10:43 pm »
Copper grease on the back of the pad is to stop noise, it's not going to stop your binding. A bit of red grease on the pistons might help but taking the pistons out and cleaning behind the seals and maybe new seals is the only sure way to stop binding. It's not difficult to do but it is your brakes so it would be best to give it to a mechanic to do if you're not certain what you're doing. Easy job for a mechanic max two hours labour I'd say.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2013, 01:15:47 pm »
I stumbled on a YouTube video earlier of a mechanic dealing with binding brakes, and it turned out to be the forks not being straight forwards, as in they'd been removed but put back on very slightly twisted inwards, so the caliper wasn't quite parallel with the disc.
It was still just about okay to get the spindle in with a bit of a tap, so we're talking a very small amount, but you could see where it was wearing unevenly on the disc.
I'm not saying this is your problem (unless you've had the forks off) but it's one to remember for future reference.

Here you go, i just found it:   

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2013, 01:22:56 pm »
Thanks ever so much for your replies folks.

Was going to look at it again today, trying red grease as suggested, and doing copper grease while I'm at it.

But damn downstairs radiator has sprung a leak over night flooding the house, so I'll have to revisit once I've got this sorted.

Will let you know how I get on.

If the red grease doesn't work then I'll take it to the experts - I'm pleased to have been able to fit the pads OK, but don't mind admitting when I'm out of my depth!

Thanks once again, Andy
« Last Edit: 18 March 2013, 01:23:59 pm by andybesy »

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2013, 07:35:56 pm »
Hello Folks,

Just a quick follow-up.

I was worrying about the brakes and so in the end got my work checked and my calipers serviced at local dealership.

First I asked them to confirm my discs weren't warped but they're fine, and they also confirmed pads fitted correctly.

They actually said binding not too bad, but once I've started worrying about something I need it sorting for my own peace of mind

So they stripped and serviced calipers for me for £32. I thought that was quite reasonable.

Seals were fine and didn't need changing.

They were still binding a little as I pulled away from the dealership, but after a tour round north wales last week have freed off nicely.

So all good, and back enjoying the riding.

Andy

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2013, 08:56:17 pm »
£32 to service calipers, that's 30mins work where i go, i'd be interested to know exactly what they did?