Date: 19-03-24  Time: 10:55 am

Author Topic: FCE Install with lots of Pics by ninjabike  (Read 23110 times)

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
FCE Install with lots of Pics by ninjabike
« on: 02 January 2011, 11:12:41 am »
Hiya all

I’ve been busy doing this so please have a look and tell me what you think especially you guys who've already fitted FCE's.

Now I'm an engineer, I ain't David Bailey nor do I write books, but this is about as much sense as you'll get out of me.

Step 1

Remove your front and rear seats and disconnect your battery, I haven't documented this cause I thought you'd figure that one out.

Step 2

Bodywork

Undo the screws as shown and slide the panel rearwards on both sides of the bike, put panels out of the way

Remove 5 screws as shown , then lift off airbox shroud

Remove the Allen pins from front off tank (1 each side) note the position of location taps

Prop tank up with length of wood approx. 450 mm long

Next look at the orange clip on the fuel hose; this needs to be slid forward to expose the 2 grey pads. If you go round the left side of bike you can disconnect the 2 electrical plugs, there is a tab on each 1 which needs squeezing then pulling downwards. also put some rag under the fuel connection as you will get a little bit when you unplug the coupling.

This pic shows the orange clip in the forward position, now pinch the 2 grey pads together (1 each side) and wiggle the connector off the white plastic pipe under the tank

Next the overflow pipe needs to come off. From the left side of the bike grip the wire clamp as shown with a pair of pliers and pull the rear hose off the "Y" piece then pull the same pipe through the black clip it passes through, replace the wire clamp on the pipe for safe keeping.

Next remove the piece of wood propping the tank up and lay the tank back in place, go to the rear of the tank and remove the long Allen pin as shown, once removed lift the tank off and move out of the way so it doesn't get knocked.

OK

Step 3

Airbox

Now you can see the air box, remove the 11 screws as shown, also unplug the sensor by squeezing the tab and pulling it off, remove the airbox top cover

Lift out the air filter and undo the 6 Allen pins holding the inlet stacks, the screws don't actually come out of the stacks but you'll know when they're loose, once undone lift the stacks out

Locate the metal clip on the hose/airbox and squeeze with a pair of pliers and pull pipe off airbox, keep the clip on the rubber pipe

Next, at the front left side of the airbox there's another pipe which needs disconnecting the same way, mine shows 2 white plastic plugs this is how you disable the AIS to stop the popping and banging on deceleration, you put a plug in the pipe and a cap over the stub in the airbox where the pipe was fitted to.

OK

Step 4

Fitting the FCE

Locate the IAP sensor, unplug it as shown and cut the 3 wires exactly 35 mm from the edge of the connector.

Next you will need to put MALE crimp terminals onto the 3 wires that are coming out of the IAP plug as shown, remember to put the clear plastic sheath on before the crimp terminal.

On the other ends of the wires you cut (still on bike loom) you will need to crimp on 3 female connectors NOTE remember to put the clear plastic sheath on first.

As you can see the FCE comes with male and female connections already installed.

Next get the IAP plug which you've already crimped the male terminals onto and plug the 3 wires into the 3 corresponding female connections on the FCE.

Now plug the IAP connector back in place and get the 3 male connectors coming off the FCE and plug them into the 3 wires on the bikes loom which you've already crimped terminals onto, just remember to match the wire colours up.

Now moving in front of the throttle bodies you will see 2 cable ties holding a rubber shield on , i cut these and pulled the shield to one side but you can do the following with out removing the tie wraps , just makes it easier with the shield moved.

Locate the ECU and disconnect the 2 plugs by pressing the tab down and pulling the plugs out ( they are different sizes so you can't get them mixed up) keep a note of which one is the left one (the big one).

You will need to ease the looms with the plugs on out under the bit of frame bracing and down in between the throttle bodies it is a little bit tight but it can be done, don't snatch anything just ease them through the tight bit take your time and they will come out,
Once you've got them free locate the piece of loom which has got the large plug on and remove any insulation tape that is on it, it will be covered by a black sheath if you look all around this sheath you will notice a seam and you can open it out to reveal the wiring harness.
Once you've got the harness exposed you need to find a black wire with a yellow tracer on it (it's on the underside of the plug towards the right) once found you will need to cut this wire about 100 mm from the ECU plug and attach a female crimp connector on the ECU side and a male connector on the loom side.

[smg d=95]
Next, get the long lead with 2 wires coming from the FCE and route it around the throttle bodies and into the loom where you peeled the black sheathing from, connect the male connector from the FCE into the female connector you fitted to the black/yellow wire and the female from the FCE connect to the male connector on the bikes loom.

[Limit reached]
Now once you are happy the connections are all pushed in correctly and tight and that the clear sheaths are pushed over each other you can lay the wires back into the black sheathing and seal it back up and tape it up as it was before.
Now route the looms back where they were before down the side if the frame rail in the same order (which ever one was on top has to be again) plug the plugs back into the ECU, if you snipped the tie raps off on the rubber shielding replace them now.
Check all the push in fittings between the FCE and IAP connector, make sure they are all sound and solid and that the clear sheath is overlapping, if all is ok then job jobbed!

Step 5

Putting it all together again

Put the airbox bottom back on , first re connect the AIS hose at the front of the airbox, then sit the airbox onto the throttle bodies you will feel it sort of latch into place and then put the inlet stacks back on and tighten the 6 allen pins down, making sure the airbox stays in place.

Re-fit the airfilter and the hose at the front of the airbox, now put the airbox cover back on and re-fit the 11 screws along with the connector that plugs onto the top sensor.

Next, sit the tank back onto the bike and put the long allen pin through the hinge at the rear of the tank , once tightened lift the tank up and prop with whatever you used before.

Now re-connect the overflow hose, take the clip of the pipe and feed the pipe through the black clip on the tank, put the small clip back on the pipe grip the clip with a set of pliers and push the pipe back onto the "Y" pice and release the clip back into place ,

Plug the 2 connections back onto the tank , the green one goes nearest the left side of the bike, ( see pics above)

Next the fuel pipe push the connector back on as far as it'll go but don't force it , when it's in place slide the orange clip backwards to lock the connector in place.

Well that's it I'm sure you can figure out how to put the body work back on from the pics above

NOTE: when putting the fairing inner panels back on there a some little tabs that need to be pushed into location i.e at either side of the clocks you'll see a small tab on the inner panel and a small slit in the top fairing near the clocks, it's all quite obvious really.

Martin

steve123123

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: FCE Install with lots of Pics by ninjabike
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2016, 07:04:39 pm »
Quite interesting, pardon my ignorance, but what's an FCE

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2016, 07:48:10 pm »
Quite interesting, pardon my ignorance, but what's an FCE
Welcome to the forum.

It's a Fuel Cut Eliminator.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

steve123123

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2016, 03:19:26 pm »
Thanks for that :). I have owned a gen 1 for the last 9years and just recently bought a 2013 FZ1. The fuel inj system is a complete mystery to me!!!