Date: 19-04-24  Time: 13:17 pm

Author Topic: Riding 2 up  (Read 15341 times)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Riding 2 up
« Reply #25 on: 28 February 2013, 02:17:57 am »
I've taken loads of pillions and can agree with most of what has been said.
Other points to watch out for - braking - if it takes them by surprise you will bang crash helmets together. This will quickly become annoying, so make sure they anticipate your braking and can push back at the right moment. I often ask them to look over my shoulder and see when I might brake.
If they are a new pillion, the pre briefing is everything. It gives them confidence in your ability as well. Take it slowly, there's a lot to sink in. One other thing to mention is to let them know that they don't need to put their foot down when you stop.
You'll quickly get used to it, and as already said, a lightweight nimble pillion is a delight. I sometimes carry a very experienced one, and she out-leans me in the corners :-)

What do you say for your pre first ride briefing?  :)

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 February 2013, 12:02:17 pm »
With insurance on a car you don't have to say you having passengers so why should you with a bike made to carry pillions ?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Riding 2 up
« Reply #27 on: 28 February 2013, 02:33:54 pm »
With insurance on a car you don't have to say you having passengers so why should you with a bike made to carry pillions ?
Its a shit one, but its because they make the rules, and you are a slave to them.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 February 2013, 02:34:19 pm »

A very good point and one I thought about myself but a car passenger can do little to influence the direction of a car unlike a pillion who might freak and lean the wrong way etc. sitting in a car takes little to no skill whereas to be a pillion requires quite a bit thus making it more risky and there for insurance is more for the higher risk. There are a lot of people I wouldn't take on my bike that i'd happily take as a passenger in my car... there are some people who are not welcome in that either though! haha

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 February 2013, 04:30:21 pm »
I took a mate for a spirited ride round some back roads, and got a decent lean on round a bend (with clear sight of what was round the bend).

What I didn't see was the egg sized stone in the middle of the road which I hit because I couldn't adjust the bike's lean angle in time as we were two up. Hit the stone, front wheel skipped out, my right foot instinctively pushed out to prop us up, it hit the ground and was thrown back up and backwards into my mates shin.

How the FOC we got round that bend rubber side down I'll never know, my mate thought it was brilliant, so he is obviously an idiot :)
« Last Edit: 28 February 2013, 04:31:11 pm by Chillum »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 28 February 2013, 04:36:20 pm »
How the FOC we got round that bend rubber side down I'll never know, my mate thought it was brilliant, so he is obviously an idiot :)

:rollin :rollin :rollin

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 February 2013, 08:44:33 pm »
What do you say for your pre first ride briefing?

I take things in logical order:

1. Make sure they are properly kitted up. The helmet fits and they are properly protected. Show how the visor lifts up and down. Make sure they are wearing gloves, even if it is a hot day and they don't want to. You will probably need to fasten the helmet for them, and make sure it is secure.

2. Getting on and off - Explain that you get on first, then they get on by placing foot on footpeg (point to it) with hand on your shoulder to steady. Afterwards, they get off first, likewise their hand on your shoulder. Assure them that you will be able to hold the bike upright while they do this.

3. Pulling away - Explain the forces of acceleration will make them lean backwards so explain they temporarily need to lean forwards to counter it. Agree method showing grab rails, and/or holding around waist. Show how to hold grab rails. Tell them they can use either methods and switch between, whichever they are more comfortable with.

4. Follow this up with explanation of braking and that they will move forwards so need to lean backwards. Again show grab rail method and waist method.

5. Tell them that you will take it slowly (very slowly) at first and will only increase speed if they indicate that they are happy with it. Agree method of communication, so that they can let you know how they are feeling, and you can indicate what you are about to do. Can be intercom, tap on shoulder, squeezing their thighs  ;) , your hand on their knee  :b or whatever. Tell them to observe over your shoulder and anticipate.

6. Agree with them where you are going - how far and for how long.

7. Explain that when you stop at traffic lights etc, you will put your feet down, and they don't need to. Tell them to keep both feet on the pegs throughout

8. Explain corners and leaning. This is the bit that may worry them the most. Show how it works with the bike stationary. Say that it is nothing to worry about and bikes are meant to work like that. Tell them just to follow you. As said, it helps if they are holding onto your waist. Explain that they may feel the bike is falling over, but it won't. Take the first few corners slowly, and be prepared for them to try to correct the lean, or at least wobble a bit. With your experience and a slow speed it shouldn't cause any problems. If they do it a few times, stop and explain to them again. The first corner will be quite a telling factor.

9. Explain that for much of the time, while cruising, they can relax but to always anticipate.

10. After a small distance (half a mile-ish ?) stop the bike and check they are OK with what has been going on so far. Even if they show no signs of panic. Depending on how they are, you might want to do this again. Gradually build up the levels of acceleration, lean and top speed depending on the feedback you are getting about how comfortable they feel.

That's about it. Gain their confidence and enjoy. I've never had anyone who didn't want a second go  :)
« Last Edit: 28 February 2013, 08:50:55 pm by mtread »

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 February 2013, 08:55:44 pm »
A very good points list to go through with someone. Alway worth going over it the first couple of times someone comes out too.  8)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 February 2013, 10:01:45 pm »
I think the only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is that if the pillion wants to look over your shoulder, to look over your left. This allows you to still perform life-savers without them being in the way :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28 February 2013, 10:02:10 pm »
All I'd say is don't.  But if you have to, and now and again I've had to,

Much as said above.

Take it all easy, my three main thoughts

1. Think about how you will stop in a hurry, it's much much harder with a pillion, which in turn should make you realise you need to take things much easier and really think ahead.

2.  How they hold on, make sure they know how to hang on with their thighs as well as their hands, it can make quite a difference.

3.  Know how to steer your bike, so no matter what your pillion decides to do you can place the bike exactly where you want it.  If you don't know what that means - ask. 

Yeah weight - taking 7 stone pillions, well you need to try and remember that they are their, often the terrified screams remind you that you have a pillion (ops - sorry!).  I don't mind the light ones, but the fat bastards are a real pain to carry, it's hard work, and you need to take it very easy just in case the unexpected happens.

Have fun.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 February 2013, 11:05:44 pm »
Good points about left shoulders and particularly fat bastards, but I don't carry them  :)

On the bit about emergency stopping with a pillion, yes much harder, and brace yourself against the inevitable clatter as they bang into the back of you.

Lastly, watch out for ones that fall asleep on the back. Yes it does happen .....

Hamos

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 February 2013, 11:41:22 pm »
Just crack on and get them on the back.  Not a big deal really.  Bike just feels a bit heavier.  I found the fazer coped well 2 up and I could still fling it round a bit with the missus on the back.  Get used to bashing helmets!!!!!!!!

tiggr2

• DAS Born Again
  • If it aint broke make it faster
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 April 2013, 01:58:43 pm »
My son used to sit up in corners then I invented the dad rule, if we are leaning left chin on my left shoulder, right chin on my right shoulder, hes a natural now.
the only thing I dont like about carrying a poillion on the fazer is below 5mph the front end feels very loose and its difficult to crawl or sty still for a second at junction approches.

Enjoy the dad rule.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

baggy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 April 2013, 02:42:43 pm »
My son used to sit up in corners then I invented the dad rule, if we are leaning left chin on my left shoulder, right chin on my right shoulder, hes a natural now.
the only thing I dont like about carrying a poillion on the fazer is below 5mph the front end feels very loose and its difficult to crawl or sty still for a second at junction approches.

Enjoy the dad rule.

Its not just me then, I have the same on my thou Gen2 with a pillion!!
White FZ8

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23 April 2013, 04:37:09 pm »
I take my son or my wife regularly as a pillion. The best thing ive found is a set of love handles (the belt with handles but ive got the skin and fat ones too). If im with the missus and brake to hard i end up with me nuts on the tank and her weight behind me so i try not to do it to often. The real key is to be as smooth as you can and get them to sit still. My son has occasionally figeted as we go round a roundabout at low speed. that gets your bum sqeaking.   Clutchless shifts save you getting nutted to the back of your head when you get it right. of course the best thing is practice for you and your pillion. Good luck and enjoy
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 April 2013, 05:06:21 pm »
I started riding with a Pillion the day after i passed my test, i knew that she would always be on the back so i wanted to get used to it as quickly as possible.

i usually get myself set (leave side stand down in case they are heavier than you expect) and hold the front brake to stop the bike rolling forward.
get the to get on like you would a horse, then hold onto the grabrail if you have one, or you if you have the Love handles mentioned above....

The first time my mrs hit me in the back of the head, i pulled over told her if she did it again she'd be walking back......

ive attached a link from MCN with some hints and tips
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/RidingEvents/ridingeventsresults/Riding-skills/2006/November/Aug17-05-How-to-ride-with-a-pillion-incorrect-pics/
hope it works...

Good luck!
Ride It Like You've Stole It

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23 April 2013, 06:22:33 pm »
Well I've had big girls, thin girls and even the occasional man on the back of mine and its been no problem really with any of them.

Take it slow and easy and tell them to relax and go with the flow of the bike, brake early and lightly as required, use plenty of clutch and throttle to stabilise at slower speeds and mainly don't worry too much about it.

I had my sister in law on it once and she was shitin herself. That translated to speed wobbles ajd twitching that I was finding difficult to control.  Thankfully it was only a run along a b road to let her see what it was like. Any longer and I w9uld have stopped and told her to calm it but before that could happen I had her back home again but in the main people generally are ok if you explain what you want them to do on the back i.e. reach down for the heater, grab chest area for extra safety, stay close ajd rub up and down subtly for extra comfort. It turned the girls liked doing that as well. ESPECIALLY the sister in law.

Ooh err
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Bluecray

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda NC700
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 April 2013, 08:51:59 pm »
I always make sure I am settled on bike, feet planted well out, give a thumbs up for pillion to mount bike......

at end of ride, I plant my feet give a thumbs up meaning its ok to get off and pillion dismounts......

Otherwise same advice as above..........

......its no fun if pillion decides to jump off and you aint ready !!!!!!

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23 April 2013, 08:55:12 pm »
ive taken many pillion passengers for rides,be careful of fat birds  :eek :eek :eek   

Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.