Date: 19-04-24  Time: 20:51 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1595796 times)

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #7900 on: 03 May 2019, 03:33:24 pm »
Sorry fazersharp !  I do love riding the 600 and will be using a 2003 Foxeye during the Summer as well as the 1000 !

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: 03 May 2019, 03:36:08 pm »
Sorry fazersharp !  I do love riding the 600 and will be using a 2003 Foxeye during the Summer as well as the 1000 !
Forgiven  :D
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: 03 May 2019, 03:41:36 pm »
Thank goodness for that ! I had no intention of offending a fellow foccer.  :)

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: 03 May 2019, 03:43:57 pm »
Especially a fellow Midlander !  :D

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: 03 May 2019, 05:51:36 pm »
Ahead of this summer's touring I've decided to get down and dirty and clean the crud around the front sprocket. I got carried away and took the swinging arm off and re-greased the suspension linkages too.
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7905 on: 03 May 2019, 07:34:17 pm »
Ahead of this summer's touring I've decided to get down and dirty and clean the crud around the front sprocket. I got carried away and took the swinging arm off and re-greased the suspension linkages too.
I was going to do this with a new chain but now dont need to as the chain has a rivet link. But out of interest how did it all look - did it even need doing, how many miles,how old, rain ?.
I don't want to strip it all down only to find it perfectly fine after all.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: 07 May 2019, 08:25:08 pm »

changed oil an filter when I got back from a good fast ride from Bristol today whilst oil was still good and hot. note to self...have drain bowl further out next time. It don't half fly out of that side drain plug when its really bloody hot! as usual used gen oil filter and yamalube ten forty semi synth. You gotta love the way Yamaha put you a new drain plug washer in with the filter...
Got the HD evo fatty to do weekend, Thats a right pig. Engine oil (including a purge coz its dry sump and there will be a good pint in the engine), primary drive oil (chain and clutch run in an oil bath behind the derby cover) and transmission (gearbox) oil.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2019, 08:27:30 pm by ogri48 »

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: 08 May 2019, 06:04:29 am »
Took my 08 FZ1 for MOT past with no advisory notices.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: 14 May 2019, 02:05:59 pm »
A ride to Lakeside Cafe, Tanygrisiau, via Bala, Llyn Celyn, Ffestiniog, Return via Maentwrog, Trawsfynydd, Llyn Celyn, Fron Goch, Cerrigydrudion, Ruthin, Nant y Garth. 120 miles.  Warm, sunny, very little traffic. A perfect day out.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2019, 02:08:23 pm by Anquetil »

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: 16 May 2019, 06:45:34 pm »
Stuck on some Michelin pr5's to try
Intentionally left blank

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: 16 May 2019, 08:41:42 pm »
Bought a couple of cheap Chinese "Projector" spotlights on Ebay...stuck them on the FZS600. OK they are cheap and they look cheap, but WOT a difference...! :eek
Now I can actually ride at night.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: 16 May 2019, 10:07:34 pm »
Bought a couple of cheap Chinese "Projector" spotlights on Ebay...stuck them on the FZS600. OK they are cheap and they look cheap, but WOT a difference...! :eek

Have you got an Ebay link?
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: 17 May 2019, 12:57:04 am »
Giving my Gen1 a quick going over and an exup valve clean when one of the exup cables broke, luckily had a spare set of new cables, so changed them over.
Was expecting a real wrestle to get the cables in place but relatively easy fit. might have been a little different without my bike work bench.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7913 on: 17 May 2019, 01:20:58 am »
Installed a Gel Seat on my FZ6, hopefully it will stop it turning into a plank of wood after 100 miles...!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: 17 May 2019, 06:30:46 am »
Installed a Gel Seat on my FZ6, hopefully it will stop it turning into a plank of wood after 100 miles...!

Have you not thought about Kardashian style implants instead? They've gotta be comfy?  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: 17 May 2019, 09:53:10 am »
Have you not thought about Kardashian style implants instead? They've gotta be comfy? 

Too bouncy

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: 19 May 2019, 10:07:05 am »
Had a whizz up to Peterborough yesterday for the bike show. Rained virtually all the way up, and to cap that off got a puncture just before getting there. Fortunately only a quarter of a mile from a garage with an air line, so all fixed in 30 minutes. Did manage to come across a good caff on the way called the Aylesbury Tuck, in, you've guessed it, Aylesbury. Show was ok, well impressed by the Abba Skylift. Although I've got a hydraulic bench, if I was in the market for a lift I'd go for the Abba as packs away when not required. Bought a few odds'n'sods off the tool guy and watched a bit of the flat tracking. On the Iron Butt stand was an 800 Triumph with an additional 5 gallon petrol tank bolted across the pillion seat. He'd managed 1512 miles in a shade under 24 hours in England, on some long distance challenge. More than fair play to that dude. Dry run home taking the easy/boring route down the A1. All in all another good day on the Fazer, shame about the puncture though.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: 19 May 2019, 07:11:44 pm »
Had a whizz up to Peterborough yesterday for the bike show. Rained virtually all the way up, and to cap that off got a puncture just before getting there. Fortunately only a quarter of a mile from a garage with an air line, so all fixed in 30 minutes. Did manage to come across a good caff on the way called the Aylesbury Tuck, in, you've guessed it, Aylesbury. Show was ok, well impressed by the Abba Skylift. Although I've got a hydraulic bench, if I was in the market for a lift I'd go for the Abba as packs away when not required. Bought a few odds'n'sods off the tool guy and watched a bit of the flat tracking. On the Iron Butt stand was an 800 Triumph with an additional 5 gallon petrol tank bolted across the pillion seat. He'd managed 1512 miles in a shade under 24 hours in England, on some long distance challenge. More than fair play to that dude. Dry run home taking the easy/boring route down the A1. All in all another good day on the Fazer, shame about the puncture though.

Not to dissimilar to my day today, 4 of us set off along the a16 for Peterborough at 7am and were met with freezing fog all the way there 😥
Got there as it opened and got my test rides booked. Then had a nose around and got a great deal on some kevlar Jeans👍
Took out an BMW s1000xr, great bike... just not my cup of tea. Silly as it sounds it was too smooth and refined, I prefer a bike that kicks you up the arse. Gotta say though it had the best brakes of anything I've every ridden, made me realise that the ones on my Gen 2 arent that great.
Also took out a Ducati Monster 797..... worst bike I've ridden in a long time. Utterly boring, gutless and uncomfortable. Wouldn't understand why anyone would want one

Gave up with the show about 3ish and ended up taking the A1 home ( for some reason) where my Brother managed to pick up a puncture which put his bike of commission as it was causing major speed wobble. Luckily for him he broke down not to far from his friends house and his wife was only 30 mins away.
Had a good slog home along the a46, really gave the bike a good ringing.
Came home 200 miles worse for wear but with a smile on my face
« Last Edit: 20 May 2019, 02:24:40 pm by Dudeofrude »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7918 on: 20 May 2019, 07:59:58 pm »
I got a new (to me) FZS600 on Sunday. Its not been used in over 5 years and looks like its been kept under a pier for those years. In teh 7 years prior to it coming off the road it had only covered about 250 miles.The guy I bought it off had bought it to do up and never had time. So today.....

I have changed the oil so I was sure there was some in there. Checked it had a spark then connected the fuel tank only to find that the tap leaks and then teh carbs dropped their fuel over my shoes.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: 21 May 2019, 12:00:55 am »

pics please!! :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7920 on: 21 May 2019, 10:14:55 pm »

Have you not thought about Kardashian style implants instead? They've gotta be comfy?  :lol

Speaking from experience?

Oh, BTW, I tried out the gel seat over the weekend as I rode down to Devon to do a bit of surfing.

It is better than the stock seat and I get further before it gets uncomfortable, but it's not a perfect fix :-/

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: 22 May 2019, 07:30:59 am »
Snapped an exhaust stud on my FZ1 it had been soaking in WD40 for 5 days with regular top ups.  Gave it some heat from a hot air gun jiggled it a bit (technical term) seemed to have loosened off  OHHH  NOOO it  sheered level with the nut (not the one holding the spanner). The air was blue. Will have to ride my Triumph speed four till I get the FZ sorted waiting for bits going to change all of them to stainless steel. 

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: 22 May 2019, 07:47:35 am »
I can lend (post) you a stud extractor that worked a treat on my Triumph last week. On the subject of stainless, the best combination would be a steel stud with a stainless nut. Stainless can "fuse" together (known as galling) just like steel, so having dis-similar metals seems the best combination. Plus Gas was recommended to me as being more penetrating than WD40, but as long as the stud comes out, that's all that matters. :thumbup

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: 22 May 2019, 09:41:20 am »
Thanks for your kind offer Robbo. My eldest son is a plant fitter so he's got all that kit on his van, and is used to removing studs/bolts etc from the plant he works on so looks like I'm tea boy while he gets them out he reckons it's safer and quicker for him to do them than let a ham fisted brickie loose on them. I take the nuts off and copper grease them every a year when it gets it's spring service, couldn't get that one off when I first got the bike so it didn't get done.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: 22 May 2019, 12:26:19 pm »
Cool, sounds like you're all sorted then. When I did mine all the nuts came off except one which just unscrewed the stud, so no real drama. I replaced the nuts with stainless but these aren't as thick as the originals, which left more thread exposed. Remedied that by screwing, acorn nuts, I think that's what they're called, on the exposed thread, after a good dose of copperslip.Good luck, hope it all goes well, mind that hot kettle though :lol .