Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:12 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1585465 times)

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #7725 on: 30 October 2018, 11:58:06 pm »
I'm now strictly a fair weather rider unless the car's broke down in the winter and the gritters'have been round our way so I've put the beast on a stand( ABBA,theyr'e brilliant) put the battery on trickle and that's where It'll stay 'till March, :z :z
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7726 on: 02 November 2018, 12:31:04 pm »
Insured it.
The renewal quote was 22% higher than last years and the cheeky buggers auto-renewed it despite me telling them not to.
Went onto Moneymaxim’s bike insurance page and the cheapest quote was a more reasonable 5% hike on what I paid last year… with the same provider, Bikesure. Rang them and they agreed to refund me the difference.
So sick of this bullshit… every damn time, whether it’s car, bike or home insurance they will rip you off unless you refuse to play their game.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: 02 November 2018, 08:25:31 pm »

I took the bike down to Portsmouth today. On the way back up the A3, just before the Hindhead Tunnel, the bike started making unusual "tonk,tonk,tonk" noises. Fortunately a services area was just a mile further on and as I slowed down the noises got louder and then I lost drive.
Instead of the catastrophic damage I'd imagined (stripped gears, dropped valve etc.) it turned out I'd found the false neutral in the gearbox again... and the worrying noise was only the centrestand bouncing off the road surface because the return spring had failed.
Ten minutes to cadge a bit of string from Waitrose and secure the centrestand to the exhaust bracket and I was on my way. :D

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7728 on: 02 November 2018, 11:18:57 pm »
Phew !! Result. :thumbup

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #7729 on: 02 November 2018, 11:27:09 pm »
Took the boxeye on a 100 mile bimble to newlands corner , surrey . Sun shining all the way , had a bite to eat whilst  taking in the view and then this tidy Z Pulled in.....thats another bike on my wanted list   :thumbup

That's an awesome Z - probably the best attempt at a proper Lawson rep that I've ever seen, outside of the magazines !!

But where's the picture of your Fazer (the real quality bike!) ?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: 03 November 2018, 09:15:13 am »
[quote author=red98 link=topic=6412.msg285819#msg285819 dateook the boxeye on a 100whilst bimble to newIands corner , surrey . Sun shining all the way , had a bite to eat whilst  taking in the view and then this tidy Z Pulled in.....thats another bike on my wanted list   :thumbup

That's an awesome Z - probably the best attempt at a proper Lawson rep that I've ever seen, outside of the magazines !!

But where's the picture of your Fazer (the real quality bike!) ?

:lol    thought you lot might be getting fed up with piccies of my boxeye , yes a very nice z with period upgrades which are not that obvious first glance......

funny thing is , whilst i was eating my lunch the boxeye was getting a bit of attention yet no one was interested in the Z ...a gaggle of harleys and a very nice goldie also had no Interest.......always said the 600 boxeye will be a future classic   :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7731 on: 03 November 2018, 10:35:42 am »
Well nothing to the Foxeye in the last few of months, Blue Spot caliper and the drilled alloy torque arm/bar from the 1K Fazer was the last thing I did.

But I have just bought a can of semi synth Shell Advance 4T oil and filter, HiFlow Air filter and 4 NGK sparkers.
Thinking about the breathing of the engine and wonder if there really is an advantage of a more cleanable (non paper) element air filter, and any mods that can be done to the air box to assist in any way.

FZS600 2002-2003 Foxeye.

Any suggestions appreciated. 
« Last Edit: 04 November 2018, 03:31:11 pm by tommyardin »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7732 on: 04 November 2018, 10:15:20 pm »
Not today but all weekend , MOT booked for the boxeye next saturday so I thought I'd better check the old girl out , rear tyres a bit low so I had a rummage in the spares shed and found a rear wheel with excellent tyre and fancy wavy disc also in the shed was a new chain and sprockets so it made sence to change both as the chain was pass its best with a bad tight spot , wheel out ,chain off , new wheel fitted , cleaned the brake caliper and fit the new c+s , then out for a test ride , old tyre was a maxis and well past its best , vast improvemt with the replacement bridgestone , c+s running really smooth and I had a good enjoyable 50 mile test ride...........BUT........the rear brake was not as good as it was , hoping for an improvement with the wavy disc and cleaned cliper but really spongy and not much feel , I know these calipers are not the best but it used to be better than this , so this morning I take another look , disc looks a bit crusty after its lay up in the shed so I give it a good clean up only to descover three cracks , bu**er.........cup of tea time.....back out in the shed I decide to swap tyres and wheels so I have the new tyre on the original wheel with original disc , I have a home made bead breaker which works but I wanted to make it better so I spent a couple of hours making new parts and it now works well , 2 tyres off and one on in 60 mins , happy with that , put bike back together and another test ride , better but not best , peddle still a bit sponge , was thinking of bleeding but couldnt shift the nipples and didnt want  to break anything , so I tied the break lever down and left it , see what its liks in a couple of days........

Fingers crossed for a pass on saturday , ill then sort out this brexit problem so all you foccers can talk/ride your fazers instead    ;)
« Last Edit: 04 November 2018, 10:22:13 pm by red98 »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7733 on: 09 November 2018, 12:10:20 am »

I took a trip to the south coast today for the Portsmouth fireworks. To get a good spot I arrived early and hung around in a very stiff breeze for a long time and was bloody glad of all the biking gear I can tell you…

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7734 on: 09 November 2018, 07:51:00 am »
Nice pictures. Looks windy.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7735 on: 10 November 2018, 07:54:21 pm »
Not today but all weekend , MOT booked for the boxeye next saturday so I thought I'd better check the old girl out , rear tyres a bit low so I had a rummage in the spares shed and found a rear wheel with excellent tyre and fancy wavy disc also in the shed was a new chain and sprockets so it made sence to change both as the chain was pass its best with a bad tight spot , wheel out ,chain off , new wheel fitted , cleaned the brake caliper and fit the new c+s , then out for a test ride , old tyre was a maxis and well past its best , vast improvemt with the replacement bridgestone , c+s running really smooth and I had a good enjoyable 50 mile test ride...........BUT........the rear brake was not as good as it was , hoping for an improvement with the wavy disc and cleaned cliper but really spongy and not much feel , I know these calipers are not the best but it used to be better than this , so this morning I take another look , disc looks a bit crusty after its lay up in the shed so I give it a good clean up only to descover three cracks , bu**er.........cup of tea time.....back out in the shed I decide to swap tyres and wheels so I have the new tyre on the original wheel with original disc , I have a home made bead breaker which works but I wanted to make it better so I spent a couple of hours making new parts and it now works well , 2 tyres off and one on in 60 mins , happy with that , put bike back together and another test ride , better but not best , peddle still a bit sponge , was thinking of bleeding but couldnt shift the nipples and didnt want  to break anything , so I tied the break lever down and left it , see what its liks in a couple of days........

Fingers crossed for a pass on saturday , ill then sort out this brexit problem so all you foccers can talk/ride your fazers instead    ;)

MOT today and iam pleased to say it passed with flying colours .only comment from the tester was how clean it was    :D

Left the brake lever tied down all week and  is now hard , had a littls ride after the test and the rear brake is now as it was , but iam am now on the lookout for a thou rear caliper.......

confession time......ive let all you foccers down and am truly sorry...........

total mileage for the last 12 months...........

1017 miles     :o

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7736 on: 10 November 2018, 11:34:00 pm »
[size=78%]1017 miles    [/size] :o
You see, the problem there is you've so many bikes. You need to figure out a way of riding more than one at a time.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7737 on: 10 November 2018, 11:49:31 pm »
You see, the problem there is you've so many bikes. You need to figure out a way of riding more than one at a time.

:D

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7738 on: 11 November 2018, 01:05:48 am »

:D

I would love to have watched that,brilliant ! :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7739 on: 11 November 2018, 08:18:36 am »
 :lol ?...yes, your right , I have no problem treating myself to a new , to me, bike , the problem I have is selling them , to make matters worse , earlier this year  my 18 year old son started his first full time job and started taking an interest in bikes as a way of getting to and from work , took him out on  the mighty thou a few times and even met up with some of the lofo's on the brighton burn up , had some good days out together , his mum said he was talking about it all the time but never expressed an opinion  herself on the subject ,shes not too keen on me having a bike but never asks me if i would give them up , thats not going to be for a while yet ,  I started to look at suitable bikes on evil bay , something I do for myself a lot , bikes from my youth etc , looking at proper 125cc bikes with gears , and soon got an idea of selling prices, then one saturday morning a honda cg 125 with 10000 miles on the clock popped up on ebay at a bargain buy it now price , so I bought it without viewing , arranged with the seller to pick up that morning , went to tell mrs red where I was going and then she tells me she dos'nt want him to have a bike..... :rolleyes

mmmmm....ive bought the bike and iam not going back on my word , i load the trailer in the back of the car and make the 80 mile journey down to wiltshire to collect the bike , on inspection the bike was not quite as described so a new price was agreed , ive spent a few days on it and a few quid getting up too standard and its looking great , an excellent starter bike   :thumbup

ive never told my son i bought it , hes very close to his mum and iam not going to do anything to upset the bond...

which means I now have bike number 6 in the garage , ive run out of space and have no workbench or place to work , but i cant sell any of them , and even if i could i would never be able to decide which one.......

my son will be starting driving lessons soon to please his mum , when hes mastered that and Is aware of all the hazzards on the road parhaps we will look at the bike again......

will be taking tom to the NEC bike show this month something we have done together for a few years now and always have a great day , Iam itching to tell him about the honda before we go....but is that worth upsetting his mum  ?
« Last Edit: 11 November 2018, 08:25:15 am by red98 »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7740 on: 11 November 2018, 09:25:15 am »

Hmm, while half of us on here will have had the CG125 as their first bike I think things have moved on a bit in the last 40-odd years. I know they updated it from the 6V electrics and front drum, but even so.
Can't see the point of storing a bike you're not going to use, I’d get shot of it and when the time comes consider something like a KTM Duke for example… at least you can use the ABS as a selling point to a worried mum.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7741 on: 11 November 2018, 09:37:15 am »
if his mum don't want him on a bike mate, id go with that, and flog the cg. I promised my son his bike test for his 21st, but only on agreement that he stuck to a car for the four years leading up to it. his mum was the same, didn't want him on two wheels, but once he had that experience of raod hazards etc behind him she was a lot more relaxed. He passed his test and by then had a missus and a kid, went on to have more, he was thirty before he finally got himself a bike. we both loved "sons of anarchy" so I bought a black dyna fatboy, to leave to him when I die/stop riding. then he was seriously ill, big lump of cancer cut out of his chest (he never smoked, drank, fit as buggery black belt karate and cage fighter so Christ knows huh)nearly died, and once he was well again, I gave him the Harley, to make up for all the years he had waited to get a bike, and so he could enjoy it every precious day of the life he got back. hes nearly forty now, got four kids and a granddaughter, still got it and will leave it to his son one day too. four generations and one bike is kinda cool  :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: 11 November 2018, 10:39:20 am »
Hell of a story Paul, glad to hear he came through it. I hope he loves every minute on that bike.
It's often only when you nearly lose everything that you learn to appreciate anything properly (although it sounds like your son wasn't wasting his life before his illness), which is sad.
I don't think anyone should ever 'push' bikes on their children, but once over 18, let it be their decision. Then just encourage the safety aspect as much as you can, gear, training, riding sensibly.
That doesn't mean they'll always heed advice, but you have to let them live their own life.
My own parents bought me my first bike, a little 50, as I needed some transport - they never said anything much to me about what they thought about it all, just left me to get on with it - think they knew I wouldn't have listened anyway :rolleyes . My dad rode for a while, hurt his back in an accident (like father, like son :rolleyes  ), but still neither he nor my mum said anything about me riding them. Both my brothers rode bikes too (it was my eldest brother that passed the bug onto me).

On topic, my own Fazer is now laid up for the foreseeable, which grieves me greatly :(
« Last Edit: 11 November 2018, 10:40:39 am by Hedgetrimmer »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: 11 November 2018, 10:44:35 am »
ah thats a bummer mate, but at least you aint missing much with the weather. :(

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: 11 November 2018, 05:09:53 pm »
Touching story OGRI and what a generous thing to do  :thumbup .........nothing worse than seeing your son / daughter going through a rough time , Illness , money worries , job , partner problem or what ever , great that you were there for him when he needed you most......hope hes enjoying the harley.....

the CG will most probably be sold in the spring , its costing nothing to store and hopefully will fetch more money then , got it for a bargain price so might even make a bit of profit....

FAZERIDER.......the plan was to get a cheap 125 just too pass his test on then sell it on and buy something like a MT3 or simular , make all the mistakes on the cheap bike thats easy to repair

my own mum didnt like my brother or me having bikes , shes 85 now and still reminds me to "be carefull".... always gets the same answer "yes mum"   :lol .........funny how things turn out .........

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: 11 November 2018, 07:29:57 pm »
Jeez Paul, must have been a really tough time for both your son and for you.
Really glad to hear he's all OK now mate.
Goes to show you never know what might be around the corner.

As Muhammad Ali once said, "Don't count the days, make the days count".

That's something we should all try to do  8)
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: 18 November 2018, 08:07:02 pm »
Went for a breakfast whizz down to the Airport caff on the A20. Should have chosen Loomies which is west of me as the super bright low sun coupled with drying B roads made riding east fairly slow progress.
Plenty of good roads on the way home, which was spoilt by the bikes refusal to rev past 6k, so having a trawl through similar past problems encountered by this forum's members, to give me some ideas for a garage session tomorrow.

Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: 18 November 2018, 08:39:08 pm »
Finally got back out on her for a fair while (2 months)  :o

Damp country lanes along with  several horse riders, and lack of recent riding by me made for a slow ride (even slow for me, Captain Slow) but it was still fab to be back out on the bike.

The wife is finally working more hours so fingers crossed, 2019 will see new suspension front and rear :-)
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: 19 November 2018, 02:47:40 pm »
A ride to Rhos on Sea for a coffee and teacake on the prom. Around 8 degrees, quiet roads.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: 25 November 2018, 06:41:50 pm »
Bled the rear brake caliper on my Gen 1 thou.
A real pain to get it right with the two separate bleed nipples but got it nice and firm after many, many brake pedal presses and half a bottle of fluid  :'(
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin