Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:18 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1586299 times)

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #7425 on: 26 February 2018, 07:38:15 am »
It was the 10000 miles a year training and racing that I was doing at the time, Tommy.  :)   Photo taken on Mont Ventoux.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: 26 February 2018, 08:13:42 am »
It was the 10000 miles a year training and racing that I was doing at the time, Tommy.  :)   Photo taken on Mont Ventoux.

Still looks like you could do with a food parcel, man there is not an ounce of fat on you anywhere. :lol
You must be lighter than the racing snake that gets onto theses pages, he less than 10 stones.
Mind you heading that way myself, been a careful boy since hitting the 13 stone mark over Christmas, 12 stone 2 lbs now.
I might be buying that Pergeot, Pegoret, Purrgjo French car manufacturer shirt off you yet. :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: 26 February 2018, 05:49:00 pm »
Out for a quick 20 mile blat before a pre snow lay up as its already been 15 or more days since I got out, wasn't cold thanks to this lot. The blue is a thin camping mat -crap for camping that fits the chest and wraps all the way around to my back and is both insulating and windproof.
Before you start that is just my top half but I find that I only need boots and normal leathers for my bottom half.
The kidney belt as well as being extra lower back protection is also very good at keeping your core warm
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 08:16:07 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: 27 February 2018, 12:31:41 am »
Out for a quick 20 mile blat before a pre snow lay up as its already been 15 or more days since I got out, wasn't cold thanks to this lot. The blue is a thing camping mat that fits the chest and wraps all the way around to my back and is both insulating and windproof.
Before you start that is just my top half but I find that I only need boots and normal leathers for my bottom half.

:lol :tape

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: 27 February 2018, 07:56:40 am »
Out for a quick 20 mile blat before a pre snow lay up as its already been 15 or more days since I got out, wasn't cold thanks to this lot. The blue is a thin camping mat -crap for camping that fits the chest and wraps all the way around to my back and is both insulating and windproof.

Was it only a 20 mile ride because you wasting all the light hours getting dressed beforehand? Haha
You must have to buy a bike jacket 3 times too big to get all that on underneath

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: 27 February 2018, 08:10:35 am »

Was it only a 20 mile ride because you wasting all the light hours getting dressed beforehand? Haha
You must have to buy a bike jacket 3 times too big to get all that on underneath
Its all very thin and close fitting - peel it off and I am like a wet cat underneath  :lol
The short sleeve one is a surfing rash vest - great with the short neck and in the summer its just that and a different jacket with lots of perforations.
The blue wrap is for very cold but I have another that I made that is just a chest piece, mainly because I am too tight to buy a proper windstopper top.

« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 08:14:34 am by fazersharp »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: 27 February 2018, 08:22:18 am »

Its all very thin and close fitting - peel it off and I am like a wet cat underneath  :lol
The short sleeve one is a surfing rash vest - great with the short neck and in the summer its just that and a different jacket with lots of perforations.
The blue wrap is for very cold but I have another that I made that is just a chest piece, mainly because I am too tight to buy a proper windstopper top.

I have an O'Neill Rash that I wear under my punk/rocker style leather jacket but only in the summer, cos I don't ride any other time.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: 27 February 2018, 10:40:10 am »
Honestly Fazersharp, mate. Learn to spend a bit of money where your favourite things are concerned (e.g. riding your bike). Get yourself one of those Pertex wind shirts, like the cyclists use. Thin as a fag paper, weighs nothing, packs down tiny in a little stuff sack. Put it on under or over a pullover, makes one hell of a difference without bulking you out. If you need to be warmer still, try a down or primaloft jacket under your bike jacket - some have a Pertex outer layer, so they are very windproof, and come in different weights, so you still don't need to bulk up too much. Wind chill is half the battle.

Or stop riding in freezing weather - which I can highly recommend  :lol  - saves on petrol and general running costs too. In fact, stay in bed all day, then you won't even need to pay for central heating  ;) 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: 27 February 2018, 10:51:12 am »
Honestly Fazersharp, mate. Learn to spend a bit of money where your favourite things are concerned (e.g. riding your bike). Get yourself one of those Pertex wind shirts, like the cyclists use. Thin as a fag paper, weighs nothing, packs down tiny in a little stuff sack. Put it on under or over a pullover, makes one hell of a difference without bulking you out. If you need to be warmer still, try a down or primaloft jacket under your bike jacket - some have a Pertex outer layer, so they are very windproof, and come in different weights, so you still don't need to bulk up too much. Wind chill is half the battle.
You are right but I have not spent the money on "fancy" wind shirts through fear of wasting loads of dosh paying more for a name and not the product, I just don't know enough (anything) about that gear. I have looked at reviews for stuff in the past but seems mostly the push bike peeps are more concerned with wicking sweat and when they say its stops wind chill they are talking about 20mph and not 70mph AND they are producing extra body heat peddling.
I need some proper advice from bikers and thanks to you I have a start.   Gonna start a new thread so not to side track this one

« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 11:03:31 am by fazersharp »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: 27 February 2018, 11:07:41 am »
This is the top I use:

https://www.jackson-sports.com/en/gb/Montane-Featherlite-Pull-On/m-10281.aspx?PartnerID=2948&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom&gclid=CjwKCAiAoNTUBRBUEiwAWje2lqM2wXmauD3SheEVtyT6hXpJOH-IyJK47sT-W9iSZzOXIMN8x6geoxoCwpgQAvD_BwE

Yeah, I know, pricey  :eek  but I got mine for £25 in a sale, so look out for such.

And if I need to be even warmer, I use one of these:

https://www.climbers-shop.com/10900842/products/rab-generator-jacket.aspx

This ^ is about what I paid for mine.
It is true that I get (or used to  :rolleyes ) value for money from them because I used them for walking the Lake District fells too, but if you're going to ride a lot in winter, kit like this is invaluable. Just watch for sales in outdoors clothing suppliers. Montane and Rab are my two favourite manufacturers, but they are expensive, but kit gets superseded by new designs all the time, so the older lines do come up in sales if you keep an eye out.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 11:09:45 am by Hedgetrimmer »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: 27 February 2018, 01:38:27 pm »

Or stop riding in freezing weather - which I can highly recommend  :lol  - saves on petrol and general running costs too. In fact, stay in bed all day, then you won't even need to pay for central heating  ;)

Yeah that's OK for you to say and do Trimmer of Hedges' in your sticky little one bedroom hovel out the back of nowhere, but the mighty Sharpie has to heat and maintain the family mansion the seat of all his ancestry, not like the rest of us plebs with the seats of all our incestry and inbreading.  :eek
Sharpie does not have 6 fingers and webbed feet your know, he is proper posh, landed gentry.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 01:42:07 pm by tommyardin »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: 27 February 2018, 01:41:13 pm »
I have started a new thread over here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,23815.0.html

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: 27 February 2018, 01:59:29 pm »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: 27 February 2018, 04:16:16 pm »

Yeah that's OK for you to say and do Trimmer of Hedges' in your sticky little one bedroom hovel out the back of nowhere, but the mighty Sharpie has to heat and maintain the family mansion the seat of all his ancestry, not like the rest of us plebs with the seats of all our incestry and inbreading.  :eek
Sharpie does not have 6 fingers and webbed feet your know, he is proper posh, landed gentry.

Well, he'll just have to throw another servant on the fire then, won't he  :rolleyes

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: 27 February 2018, 05:44:22 pm »

Well, he'll just have to throw another servant on the fire then, won't he  :rolleyes

Yeah they are 2 a penny bloody servants.

Started my FZS 600 up today, first time it's been started for about 12 weeks, took a little coaxing into life about 4 or 5 or 4 second stabs at the starter playing with the choke before she fired up, she then ran a bit lumpy for a few moments before she leveled out.
I let if run for about 20 mins to get up to temperature and then put her back to sleep. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7440 on: 27 February 2018, 05:57:41 pm »
Started my FZS 600 up today
I let if run for about 20 mins to get up to temperature and then put her back to sleep. 

If you had 15 layers of clothes on you could of been riding for those 20 mins

RikkiWilliams

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: 27 February 2018, 06:08:43 pm »
Starting and looking at mine is all I can do for now. Waiting for parts is the worst.  :\

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: 27 February 2018, 10:58:19 pm »
Started my FZS 600 up today

If you had 15 layers of clothes on you could of been riding for those 20 mins

Touch'e  :lol

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: 06 March 2018, 02:37:08 pm »
Started her up after that cold spell had you jump her turning over ok but not enough to start but once started ticked over nicely.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: 06 March 2018, 08:30:40 pm »
Knocked up a frame for supporting the bags and keeping them of the hot exhausts. Ridiculous money to buy, so I knocke dsome up out of 15mm copper pipe and a few elbows. a couple of hours work and perhaps £3. Bags on and went out for a ride to CCM in nottingham to pick up an oil fileter and a litre of oil, and a plug washer/seal. No problems, so job done.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: 06 March 2018, 09:22:38 pm »
You will have to post a picture of it  :eek :D

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: 07 March 2018, 06:47:08 am »

iam with you UNFAZED.......thinking of doing the same myself but using 12mm round bar.....sounds like yours has a steam punk theme to it  :thumbup .............

:useless

One, is never going to be enough.....

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: 07 March 2018, 08:19:29 am »

iam with you UNFAZED.......thinking of doing the same myself but using 12mm round bar.....sounds like yours has a steam punk theme to it  :thumbup .............

I was thinking along those line 15mm copper, plumbing fittings.
Why not go the whole hog and connect up  a radiator and incorporate it in the cooling system of the bike? Help cool the engine in the summer and keep you warm in the winter.
I think it would be a unique customisation
 and you could spray it the same colour as the bike.
Very attractive.  :lol
Ohh! It would also give you a point to bleed any air locks out of the system, you could also put a tap inline to drain the system down, make sure it's a hot tap though, with the bit of red on the top.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2018, 08:24:02 am by tommyardin »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: 07 March 2018, 03:00:34 pm »
No, you want a feed before it goes round the framework  and another after when cooled, then run both into a mixer tap

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: 07 March 2018, 06:45:29 pm »

I was thinking along those line 15mm copper, plumbing fittings.
Why not go the whole hog and connect up  a radiator and incorporate it in the cooling system of the bike? Help cool the engine in the summer and keep you warm in the winter.
I think it would be a unique customisation
 and you could spray it the same colour as the bike.
Very attractive.  :lol
Ohh! It would also give you a point to bleed any air locks out of the system, you could also put a tap inline to drain the system down, make sure it's a hot tap though, with the bit of red on the top.

Dont need to paint it Tommy, Ive the Tango colour scheme bike :)
I was thinking of fitting a drain tap, then I can fill it with water when I go out in winter. The heat from the pipes will boil it up, open the tap into a mug with teabag in, hey presto, a mobile brew on the road :)