Date: 19-04-24  Time: 00:27 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1595310 times)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #7300 on: 05 December 2017, 06:11:50 pm »
Good advice Limax2, but alas too late for me.

I worked in the building trade for most of my life (Brickie)

I picked up a job after the Big Storm of 30 years ago.

A house had lost its 'Cable End' wall, pulled over by a heavy cable running from a pole to the apex of the gable wall that was trashed about by the high winds.

Scaffolding up, remainder of gable end wall taken down and cleared.
Materials delivered by a local builders merchants, but they delivered the next size up steel Catnic lintel, out with the 9" spinner (Disc Cutter) 300mm removed from one end quick splash of red oxide over the cut edge, lintel up wall rebuilt, scaffold down, rubble away, clean the down stairs very large lounge window to find that it was like sandpaper with hundreds and thousands of minute pieces of molten steel burned into the glass  :eek
I lost about 80% the money that I made had doing the job paying for replacement double glazed units and having them fitted.  :'(

I have seen big rusty red/brown fanned out patches on footpaths and patios where builders have used disc cutters without either covering up, or, cutting somewhere safe. I have learned my lesson.  :rolleyes

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: 05 December 2017, 06:39:44 pm »
Since fitting the blue spot rear caliper I decided to completely service the front two blue spots.
Spent the afternoon out on the patio in fairly pleasant weather hint of sunshine for a while.

Removed calipers (Left the brake lines connected) gave them a good soaking in hot soapy water hanging in a bucket and used the wife's toothbrush to give them a really good scrub, gently pushed the pistons out a little so i could really clean them (Thankfully no rust what-so-ever) rinsed and dried and red rubber greased the piston, remover the top of the Master Cylinder and gently pushed the piston back into place , removed excess RR grease.

Pads still have lots of life in them so cleaned them and lubed he rear of pads with a smear of Copper Slip along with the pad retaining pin and R Clips.
Spent about 3 hours doing the job but well pleased with the outcome, looks better as well with nice clean calipers.

Tip: The spring that bears down on the pads by the brake pad retaining pin has to go on the right way round, the spring is not symmetrical, seen on one of the pictures below.

I use a stainless steel scouring ball to clean the pad pins up, it gets any shite off them really efficiently without any damage at all to the pin.

And the gold colured pad plate has a small arrow on it which should be facing upwards (forward motion) on refitting. You can just see it in your photo on the bottom left of the plate.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: 05 December 2017, 06:52:15 pm »
Since fitting the blue spot rear caliper I decided to completely service the front two blue spots.
Spent the afternoon out on the patio in fairly pleasant weather hint of sunshine for a while.

Removed calipers (Left the brake lines connected) gave them a good soaking in hot soapy water hanging in a bucket and used the wife's toothbrush to give them a really good scrub, gently pushed the pistons out a little so i could really clean them (Thankfully no rust what-so-ever) rinsed and dried and red rubber greased the piston, remover the top of the Master Cylinder and gently pushed the piston back into place , removed excess RR grease.

Pads still have lots of life in them so cleaned them and lubed he rear of pads with a smear of Copper Slip along with the pad retaining pin and R Clips.
Spent about 3 hours doing the job but well pleased with the outcome, looks better as well with nice clean calipers.

Tip: The spring that bears down on the pads by the brake pad retaining pin has to go on the right way round, the spring is not symmetrical, seen on one of the pictures below.

I use a stainless steel scouring ball to clean the pad pins up, it gets any shite off them really efficiently without any damage at all to the pin.

And the gold colured pad plate has a small arrow on it which should be facing upwards (forward motion) on refitting. You can just see it in your photo on the bottom left of the plate.

Hey Darrsi,
Good spot mate.
I cleaned them bad boys and did not even notice the arrow, I had to check in the Haynes Manual to see which way around the spring went and that was on the second caliper, fortunately I had fitted the first one the correct way around.  :thumbup

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: 05 December 2017, 08:50:09 pm »
Cleaned the chain but posted it here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,20030.0.html
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: 05 December 2017, 09:40:30 pm »
Made sure the Fazer was fully covered before using the angle grinder on a steel item in the vice.
This is always a useful precaution unless you happen to like the look of tiny rust spots on items nearby.
Likewise, don't expect the burning steel sparks to bounce harmlessly off your patio doors, they stick to glass and each melts a tiny little pit. :'(

>edit< Sorry Tommy, didn't read back far enough to see you'd already covered this!
« Last Edit: 06 December 2017, 05:52:27 pm by Fazerider »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7305 on: 06 December 2017, 02:25:26 pm »
Did my plug caps about a year ago, 8mm off the end of the HT leads, plug cap end, but the angled caps I bought were no good as they hit the camshaft tunnel top before they were popped onto the plugs, so I refitted the OEM ones, but was not really happy with the way the screwed on, a bit hit and miss I felt, almost as if they were reluctant to screw themselves into the HT lead. anyway I have just ordered some of theses hoping they will fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-SD05F-R-SD05FR-8238-Straight-Spark-Plug-Cap-4-Pack-Genuine-NGK-Parts/322248430204?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
« Last Edit: 06 December 2017, 02:26:42 pm by tommyardin »

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: 06 December 2017, 03:31:10 pm »
A ride into Shropshire this morning, then back into Wales and the Ponderosa, Horseshoe Pass, for a snack. A bit breezy but very mild. A dozen bikers there when I arrived.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: 06 December 2017, 05:00:59 pm »

Hey Darrsi,
Good spot mate.
I cleaned them bad boys and did not even notice the arrow, I had to check in the Haynes Manual to see which way around the spring went and that was on the second caliper, fortunately I had fitted the first one the correct way around.  :thumbup

Because I am getting old and forgetful I take a lot of photos with my phone before taking things apart nowadays so I have a reminder of how it fitted together, but there is also a little voice in my head saying " how do you know it was fitted correctly before".   :\

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: 06 December 2017, 06:58:12 pm »
A ride into Shropshire this morning, then back into Wales and the Ponderosa, Horseshoe Pass, for a snack. A bit breezy but very mild. A dozen bikers there when I arrived.

and the trusty little Fazer hiding in plain sight, did you have to wait often for the other three  :lol :lol :lol

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: 06 December 2017, 10:05:05 pm »
I'm too old and slow to ride with those big boys ! I can't seem to find anyone slow enough to accompany me.  :'(

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: 06 December 2017, 10:48:30 pm »
I'm too old and slow to ride with those big boys ! I can't seem to find anyone slow enough to accompany me.  :'(

You mean "Anyone Else"  :lol :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: 06 December 2017, 11:29:24 pm »

Hey Darrsi,
Good spot mate.

Because I am getting old and forgetful I take a lot of photos with my phone before taking things apart nowadays so I have a reminder of how it fitted together, but there is also a little voice in my head saying " how do you know it was fitted correctly before".   :\

They were probably fitted right before, unless I fitted them of course, I did not even see the arrows on the pad retaining springs on my front calipers. :'(

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: 06 December 2017, 11:31:33 pm »
Made sure the Fazer was fully covered before using the angle grinder on a steel item in the vice.
This is always a useful precaution unless you happen to like the look of tiny rust spots on items nearby.
Likewise, don't expect the burning steel sparks to bounce harmlessly off your patio doors, they stick to glass and each melts a tiny little pit. :'(

>edit< Sorry Tommy, didn't read back far enough to see you'd already covered this!

I didn't just cover this! I covered the foccing window as well with molten metal spots.  :'(

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: 10 December 2017, 11:12:54 am »
I gazed lovingly at it and realised that I won't be going for a ride in the North Wales hills today !
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 12:10:31 pm by Anquetil »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: 10 December 2017, 12:51:44 pm »
I gazed lovingly at it and realised that I won't be going for a ride in the North Wales hills today !

If you were even thinking about it no matter how fleetingly I would say its not heated gloves you need more a F-----g Lobotomy  :eek

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: 10 December 2017, 01:01:27 pm »
I had considered another search for your missing hat at lake Vyrnwy, Tommy. You will have to manage without it for a while longer.  :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: 10 December 2017, 01:20:17 pm »
I had considered another search for your missing hat at lake Vyrnwy, Tommy. You will have to manage without it for a while longer.  :lol

I know as you ride around Lake Vyrnwy there are thousands of brown leather hats strewn around the roads, but, this is mine and I don't want you bringing back any old hat, it must be the right one  :lol

Complete with the Welsh Daffodil and Peacock feather.
I will add the hat in the photo is not the original, but an exact representation none the less. 

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: 10 December 2017, 01:38:02 pm »
This image will be very useful, given the vast array of similar hats to be found in the vicinity of the lake. Thank-you Tommy, most thoughtful. I have printed it and shall take it with me. The vibrant Welsh Daffodil should be sufficient to distinguish your hat from the run of the mill versions roaming amongst the pheasants in this area.  :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: 10 December 2017, 01:52:24 pm »
This image will be very useful, given the vast array of similar hats to be found in the vicinity of the lake. Thank-you Tommy, most thoughtful. I have printed it and shall take it with me. The vibrant Welsh Daffodil should be sufficient to distinguish your hat from the run of the mill versions roaming amongst the pheasants in this area.  :)

Thank you so much for you fast response and your willingness to go that extra mile in helping out a fellow Fazer (Foccer) owner, should you ever be unfortunate enough to have a loss, nay a bereavement such as the loss of an old friend (Say a hat) in Hampshire, I will spring to your aid in helping to recover said article.  :rolleyes

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: 10 December 2017, 01:55:56 pm »
Me thinks there is more than one bored to F--k Fazer owner wishing the weather was better and find something more constructive to do than sit on their computer making platitudes and overtures of never ending friendship and willingness to help.
 :lol :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 02:32:25 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7320 on: 10 December 2017, 02:31:11 pm »
Not really what I did to my Fazer today but it is relevant (I think)

This is at a very good price:
www.ebay.co.uk/p/Wd40-WD-40-Multi-use-Maintenance-Smart-Straw-450ml/520187708?var=502118021668

Or
You could buy this, also at a very good price:

www.ebay.co.uk/p/Wd40-WD-40-5-Litre-Multi-use-Maintenance-Can-Plus-Spray/1917439260

The first can is 450 ml @ £7.49 a can (Good price) that works out at 8.32 pence per 5 ml application.
The second can is 5 litres at £22.50 a can (A very good price) that works out at 1 pence exactly per 5 ml application, a good saving, along with the can you get a free reasonably good quality spray bottle (Cost you £2.50 in the Garden Centre).

What I like about this system is you can mix WD40 with engine oil and spray it into awkward areas, it gets oil/lube into difficult places that would be almost impossible to get.
Another good use of the oil/WD mix is on motorcycle drive chains, not to lube them particularly but if you jet wash a chain this mixture will drive out the water (WD=Water displacement) and add a little lube prior to a quick wipe down with a rag and lubing in your usual way.

WD is great on electric as well, for water displacement.

I just wish I had something better to do on the wet Sunday afternoon.
I do have new NGK straight plug caps to go on, but, no room to work in the shed, the wind is howling through the covered way down the side of my house and the rain is bouncing about 9 inches up off the patio as it lands.
 :'( :'( :'( :grumble     

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: 18 December 2017, 03:19:47 pm »
A nice ride in the sunshine to Montford Bridge cafe near Shrewsbury. About 8 degrees this afternoon. Roads damp and greasy.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: 18 December 2017, 03:40:13 pm »
Gave it a good wash, oil and filter change.
Having done too many motorway miles recently, took it out on my favourite B roads and got the rear spinning up to bring the tyre back towards profile.  :stop
[size=78%]Must stop being so lazy in the future [/size] :z
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: 18 December 2017, 10:35:13 pm »
Got the covers off my gen 2, battery would not go, trickle charge, no good,, jump leads =started,, so will see if trickle charge will save battery, 5 year old moto batt, I have high hopes,,, if not will be getting a lightweight one.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: 19 December 2017, 12:25:22 am »
I've read that them there LiiOn batteries don't like the cold.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!