Date: 18-04-24  Time: 11:33 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1594939 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #6375 on: 26 July 2016, 10:06:01 pm »
Took the thou to poole bike night, good turn out but the fishes and chippies not at their best   :(.....good tuesday evening ride though  :)
« Last Edit: 26 July 2016, 10:09:13 pm by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6376 on: 26 July 2016, 10:45:38 pm »
Took the thou to poole bike night, good turn out but the fishes and chippies not at their best   :(.....good tuesday evening ride though  :)

I note the Solent Advanced Motorcyclists' Mobile Display Unit was there (the large white trailer with the red Land Rover in front) :thumbup

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: 27 July 2016, 11:14:53 pm »
More fun on't moor and dale. Down to Settle via Middleton, Hawes etc, then across to Skipton on the A65 (some of which would be cracking fun if you hit it free of traffic - some chance!). Then back up via Grassington, Aysgarth, across to Hawes again for fish and chips, out via Garsdale, but then hammered it up the M6 back to Carlisle as time was getting on.

Pics from today.
River Tees:

A pretty little spot:

Ribblehead viaduct:

Pen-y-Ghent nicely lit:

Not so with Ingleborough:

This viaduct just outside Hawes on the way to Garsdale:

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: 27 July 2016, 11:18:34 pm »
Pack it in Hedgetrimmer.... they'll all come up here if you keep showing how great it is! 😂

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: 27 July 2016, 11:37:25 pm »
Took the 600 out of the garage this morning to go to work, fired up into gear, clutch out, stop, restarted clutch out stop.

Put it back in the garage and took the 1000.

When I came home decided to tackle what was most likely a side stand switch issue after the dinner

Down to the garage pushed the 1000 out to give a bit more space and light to work on the 600.

Off with the side cover found the blue connector took it apart, no corrosion on the contacts, checked the switch no continuity.  :'(

Removed the Side stand, (not really necessary just gives more room to work) removed the gear lever from the shaft, removed sprocket cover and finally removed the side stand switch.

Pulled the wire cable back to give me some room to dismantle the switch

Opened up the side stand switch, some discolouration and copper corrosion on the contacts.

Cleaned the contacts with 1200 wet and dry, coated all with Dielectric Grease. Put it back together tested it  :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Put the side stand Switch back on (using Stainless bolts), Sprocket cover back on, Gearlever back on and side stand back on.

Coated the blue connector with dielectric grease and pushed it back together then pulled the the green  (neutral) connector apart and treated it with dielectric grease.
Started engine into gear side stand down cut out side stand up away for road. Sorted  :woot
« Last Edit: 27 July 2016, 11:42:58 pm by unfazed »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: 27 July 2016, 11:48:42 pm »

Pack it in Hedgetrimmer.... they'll all come up here if you keep showing how great it is!

:lol

Nah, they'll never get free of all those southern traffic jams  ;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: 27 July 2016, 11:50:13 pm »
Ufazed Where do you get that diabetic grease from please
« Last Edit: 27 July 2016, 11:51:27 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: 28 July 2016, 12:01:44 am »
Fazersharp

Flea bay, look for:

Permatex 22058

I find the permatex products good but expensive.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: 28 July 2016, 12:15:13 am »
Fazersharp

Flea bay, look for:

Permatex 22058

Thanks for that - looks like £11.50 I already have some this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/servisol-multi-purpose-silicone-grease-50g-tube-re90x wonder it it does the same.
I dont get how it can be an insulator and a conductor at the same time it says
Prevents voltage leakage around any electrical connection. But yet will allow voltage to pass if used as a protective against corrosion. I think I used to whack Vaseline around my battery connectors on my old cars.   

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: 28 July 2016, 01:02:37 am »
Fazersharp

Flea bay, look for:

Permatex 22058

Thanks for that - looks like £11.50 I already have some this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/servisol-multi-purpose-silicone-grease-50g-tube-re90x wonder it it does the same.
Prevents voltage leakage around any electrical connection. But yet will allow voltage to pass if used as a protective against corrosion. I think I used to whack Vaseline around my battery connectors on my old cars.

It doesn't conduct, it insulates, but high Voltages will not break it down, which is why it is suitable for spark plug leads. If you put it on connectors pushing the connectors together displaces it and the connectors make contact but the grease stays around them protecting them from corrosion.
Vaseline on the battery poles was to prevent corrosion due to battery acid vapours

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: 28 July 2016, 07:41:54 am »

Pack it in Hedgetrimmer.... they'll all come up here if you keep showing how great it is!

:lol

Nah, they'll never get free of all those southern traffic jams  ;)

You make me so jealous !!!!!!!

I lived in Durham for the first 25 years of my life, the for another 12 years later in life, and now I can't wait to get back there.

You're talking about all the roads and places I grew up with and when I wax lyrical about the north, to folk down south, they all tell me it's the rose tinted glasses of youth - glad to see its not - and its still as foccing brilliant up as there as my memory says it was. I knew there was something to look forward to in life.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: 28 July 2016, 09:30:34 am »
Fazersharp

Flea bay, look for:

Permatex 22058

It doesn't conduct, it insulates, but high Voltages will not break it down, which is why it is suitable for spark plug leads. If you put it on connectors pushing the connectors together displaces it and the connectors make contact but the grease stays around them protecting them from corrosion.
Vaseline on the battery poles was to prevent corrosion due to battery acid vapours

I see but there will still be some between to connections that insulates by a small amount wont there ?. How about ACF50

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: 28 July 2016, 10:15:28 am »

Good fix Unfazed.  :thumbup

IIRC someone else had concluded the only way to get at a troublesome sidestand switch was to take the engine out!

I avoid using silicone greases on switches. It's OK on connectors which are forced together and displace the grease, but switches operate at much lower contact pressures.
If there is any arcing it can cause the grease to overheat: with carbon based compounds you get soot and CO2 which won't stop conduction, with silicone the products of overheating can include silica which will stop the contacts touching.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: 28 July 2016, 02:42:46 pm »

You make me so jealous !!!!!!!

I lived in Durham for the first 25 years of my life, the for another 12 years later in life, and now I can't wait to get back there.

You're talking about all the roads and places I grew up with and when I wax lyrical about the north, to folk down south, they all tell me it's the rose tinted glasses of youth - glad to see its not - and its still as foccing brilliant up as there as my memory says it was. I knew there was something to look forward to in life.

Y'see, some folks like spannering and tinkering in the shed. Some folks like to talk kit. Others love their racing. It's all good. Me, I just like to get out and ride, doesn't matter really where I am. Everywhere I've gone on a bike, I've found nice roads, nice scenery and places to explore. There's a wealth of great places you can get to from the Midlands, interesting things to see, good roads to ride, all within a day's ride. You just gotta get out and do it!

[/Campaign For Actually Riding message]  :lol

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: 28 July 2016, 03:38:31 pm »
My top box lock broke yesterday ( Stelvio, ofenpass, foscagno, Garcia, tonale, Mendola), so went to heingericke in Bolzano and bought a new one and fitted it. Also repair my USB charging port.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6390 on: 28 July 2016, 03:53:41 pm »
My top box lock broke yesterday ( Stelvio, ofenpass, foscagno, Garcia, tonale, Mendola), so went to heingericke in Bolzano and bought a new one and fitted it. Also repair my USB charging port.

Hopefully, lots of lovely pics (but not of top box locks and USB charging ports  :lol  ) when you get home?

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: 28 July 2016, 06:43:40 pm »

Good fix Unfazed.  :thumbup

IIRC someone else had concluded the only way to get at a troublesome sidestand switch was to take the engine out!

I avoid using silicone greases on switches. It's OK on connectors which are forced together and displace the grease, but switches operate at much lower contact pressures.
If there is any arcing it can cause the grease to overheat: with carbon based compounds you get soot and CO2 which won't stop conduction, with silicone the products of overheating can include silica which will stop the contacts touching.

Yes it is generally thought the engine out at worst or the sump off at best is required to remove the side stand switch of the Fazer600. The lower bolt is accessible but the head of the top one is not, however the rear of the top bolt is accessible with the sprocket cover off.
I used a drill and sharp HSS bits to spin the bolt out from the rear. The problem was how to get it back in. :oops :lol

I drilled out the threads of the upper hole and super glued 2 washers and the nylock nut to the switch and was able to get the bolt from the top to screw into the nut before the superglue gave way. Then with a ground down (to get it to fit in the confined space) deep 8 mm ring spanner was able to hold the nut when doing the final tightening. I took photographs of some of the work. Now one bolt has the head at the top and the other has the head at the bottom.
A much better option than trying  to remove the downpipes and remove the sump or engine. :)
I must post a "How to fix the side stand switch" in the downloads, had it all apart, fixed and back together in 2.5 hours. Trying to find the 1200 wet and dry and stainless bolts, nylock nut and washers took me about half an hour.  :rolleyes The reason I used the Permatex dielectric grease is that it can withstand the high voltage arcing around the ignition coils. The contacts in the side stand switch are the sliding type and have a good strong spring. This gives good pressure and will displace the grease unlike contacts on relays and the like.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: 28 July 2016, 06:45:34 pm »

Hopefully, lots of lovely pics (but not of top box locks and USB charging ports  :lol  ) when you get home?

Yes, although I've ridden these roads previously so not taken endless photos. Mixed weather, the last time I was here it was late august and better, more settled. Did some impromptu off reading on the umbrailpass, slid off of the road, but kept it upright so no harm done. Forgotten how much I love the ofenpass (super fast) and how broken Gavia is.

GH600

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: 28 July 2016, 08:24:34 pm »
Wednesday night Two runs down Henstridge runway (750 mtrs) beat my son on his 675 Daytona both times & 104 mph top speed on the garmin quest  :)

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: 28 July 2016, 11:03:51 pm »
Got a couple of pic's from the engineer

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: 31 July 2016, 09:20:51 pm »
Met up with Mr Kitcrazy and hit some lovely twisty roads stopping at Charing glider club, Headcorn aerodrome, Camber sands and finished off at the Sun in Bredgar for a shandy.......Perfect day.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2016, 09:25:40 pm by dazza »

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: 31 July 2016, 11:11:16 pm »
Finally got round to removing the exhaust, lots of heat and still sheared two studs, sheared long so hopefully theres still a chance of removing them without going the helicoil route

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #6397 on: 31 July 2016, 11:42:13 pm »
Took me Julie up north on a Fazer gathering. See events section.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #6398 on: 01 August 2016, 11:26:04 am »
SOLD IT :) to we buy any bike
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: 01 August 2016, 07:07:07 pm »
took it and some steel tubing etc etc to the engineers to have some brackets welded on for the new subframe, and a few bits and pieces.

Me thinks I've well and truly blown the budget this month. :eek