Date: 19-04-24  Time: 12:59 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1595671 times)

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #5500 on: 04 January 2016, 04:15:38 pm »
Today I had an exhaust stud snap on me on the way home, right flush with the cylinder head.
When I fitted the stainless headers a couple of years ago I did notice it was very slightly bent, but thought I'd sorted it with a bit of heat and straightening. It was only a matter of time I suppose, but the engine's gonna have to come out now.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Cellarman

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: 04 January 2016, 04:34:22 pm »
Gen1 winter fettling complete
AIS removed
New Hel braided brake lines fitted
New iridium plugs fitted
Oil & filter changed
Cooling system flushed & new coolant added
Brake calipers serviced
Just need some decent weather now so I can ride the focer :D

Spitfire

• Cager in Training
  • Live it or leave it.
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - XT600 SM '01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: 04 January 2016, 05:13:53 pm »
Glued a small crack on the fairing, changed a burned turn signal light and gently patted her gas tank and smiled.  :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: 04 January 2016, 05:49:10 pm »
Hey Cellarman, the same as that.
Oil and Filter, drained and flushed cooling system, refilled system with 50/50 long life red antifreeze and distilled water. New Spark Plugs (NGK CR9E), new air filter, new Braided Stainless Steel brake lines (Blue), replenished the brake fluid and bleed through.
cleaned and polished bike, it's now in Garage with dust sheet over it for the next four months.

Jobs a Gudun.

Love my FZS

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: 04 January 2016, 06:02:32 pm »
Fitted R1 calipers and new ferodo HH pads to the 1000  :)
« Last Edit: 04 January 2016, 06:06:33 pm by unfazed »

Cellarman

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5505 on: 04 January 2016, 06:24:11 pm »
Hey Cellarman, the same as that.
Oil and Filter, drained and flushed cooling system, refilled system with 50/50 long life red antifreeze and distilled water. New Spark Plugs (NGK CR9E), new air filter, new Braided Stainless Steel brake lines (Blue), replenished the brake fluid and bleed through.
cleaned and polished bike, it's now in Garage with dust sheet over it for the next four months.

Jobs a Gudun.

Love my FZS
I fitted the carbon effect brake lines with blue banjo's, they look the mutts nuts :lol

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: 04 January 2016, 07:16:18 pm »
Hi Unfazed,

Looks like these are 4 piston calipers too like the OEM. What year R1 were these from? What kind of improvement were you shooting for and do you think it was worth it?

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: 04 January 2016, 09:35:18 pm »
Long overdue front brake fluid change tonight for mine, been meaning to get round to it since I got the bike...

Before:
http://imgur.com/aaWLMrB
Nasty.  :eek

After:
http://imgur.com/ZSwiAck
looks pretty yellow in the photo, trick of the light I think.

This one is the old brake fluid I promise (even if it doesn't look or smell like it)
http://imgur.com/ElenK7K

I'm hoping this may help with the low speed vibration through the lever I've had since I changed the pads.

New hoses soon, I've a feeling the ones on there are 1999 originals...

« Last Edit: 04 January 2016, 09:41:29 pm by Adam2201 »

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: 05 January 2016, 12:06:38 am »
Long overdue front brake fluid change tonight for mine, been meaning to get round to it since I got the bike...

Before:
http://imgur.com/aaWLMrB
Nasty.  :eek

After:
http://imgur.com/ZSwiAck
looks pretty yellow in the photo, trick of the light I think.

This one is the old brake fluid I promise (even if it doesn't look or smell like it)
http://imgur.com/ElenK7K

I'm hoping this may help with the low speed vibration through the lever I've had since I changed the pads.

New hoses soon, I've a feeling the ones on there are 1999 originals...

The steel braided lines are on order, I will change the fluid then too of course. I also believe it has not been replaced since the bike hit the road back in 2003...

After that, I may also replace the master cylinder if the fluid and brake line change does not improve the feel.

Brakes work well enough, but I do not like the feel through the lever at the moment.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: 05 January 2016, 12:53:00 am »
Hi Unfazed,

Looks like these are 4 piston calipers too like the OEM. What year R1 were these from? What kind of improvement were you shooting for and do you think it was worth it?

They are from the 5PW model R1 2002-2003 the same as the latest model XJR1300.
I just like the look of them, but they do give better feedback.
I also have a set  on the 600 exacly the same but came from an XJR1300
They are definitely better than the Blue spots they seem to have better feel. The only difference I can see other than the gold inserts is the pistons are alloy with thicker walls and and what seems like a ceramic coating. They feel more like Brembos

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: 05 January 2016, 10:47:32 pm »
Hi NotAnotherHill,

Just a thought on sticking front disc brakes, especially as you cleaned and sorted them out after last outing.
I have a MR2 Spider (Yuk 4 wheels) and had exactly the same problem with the driver side front brake sticking as the car has done 80,000 mile I decided to do a complete overhaul of the brakes.
I fitted four new discs, new disc pads all round and replaced both the front calipers as the pistons were pitted, although the caliper was moving fine on the slider pins (Floating calipers)
Lubed up the slider pins with silicone grease, a smear of Copper slip between the pad shims and pads and on top of the shims where brake piston contact is. I thought that has to cure it, but Oh! no that brake was still binding to the point that it made the disc really hot and the pads on that wheel stank after about 5 miles.
I did an internet search and found a link that said one of the main causes of brakes binding on older vehicles is caused by the rubber on the inside of flexible brake pipes braking down with age, apparently the rubber can start to laminate on the inside of the pipe and a flap can block the oil/fluid way, when applying the brakes the pressure exerted by the master cylinder will force the lamination/flap of rubber out of the way but the rubber can be drawn back down as the brake fluid is drawn back to the master cylinder and block the pipe causing the brakes to stick. If you find the brake sticking after applying the brakes leave the bike for a couple of hours and try spinning the front wheel again if it spins fine then there is a real possibility that the problem is brake pipes braking down, as a jammed piston is a jammed piston and usually will not release itself.

Just a thought.
Good luck with sorting the problem out.

PS: I'm sure you already know but don't use mineral grease anywhere near the piston seals or other rubber brake parts, use  silicone grease or red rubber grease this is on slider pins as well. Mineral will rot out the concertina rubbers and seals.                 

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: 06 January 2016, 04:01:33 pm »
As the sun was shining and the roads were mainly dry , took the bike for a spin around Bristol , stopping in Fowlers on the way back .

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5512 on: 06 January 2016, 11:24:39 pm »
Went to the Hemel Hempstead Snow Centre via the A32 and B3349. Fun ride :)

riedrider

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - TDM850, BT1100, NTV650, R100R
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: 08 January 2016, 08:01:06 pm »
Installed a set of new brake and clutch levers from Probrake (planned) and a new seat (spontaneous, it was sold in a German forum and when I saw it I had to buy it  :) )

« Last Edit: 08 January 2016, 08:21:21 pm by riedrider »
Guenter

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: 08 January 2016, 11:21:54 pm »
Thought I would post this as it was a problem I had with Head lights a cople of years ago on my 2003 Foxeye FZS 600.

I saw a post from you re: headlamps not or stopped working, I had a similar problem with my 2003 Foxeye FZS 600, the headlights would go out and other strange things happen in the Speedo Tacho area, one of the clocks stopped working, the problem was intermittent the next time i switched the lights on they would work sometimes for a few hours and sometimes just for a few minutes and again sometimes not at all. I spent hours under the seat and tracing the wiring through right from the battery back to rear lamp (Wasn't sure which way headlamps were fed) and eventually found the culprit under the left hand side (As your sitting on the bike) of the front fairing inner black cover (Held on by three screws) one screw by the clocks, one on the outside rear or the fairing and one on the black inner fairing cover towards the rear. under there is a white coloured multi electrical connector. I don't recall exactly how many wires are entering and exiting it but between 8 and 10 would be my guess, anyway water gets into this connector and the pins and sockets inside it corrode and cause intermittent connection problems, some of the connections were still ok but the corroded ones (4 of them 8 ends) I cut the wires tight either side of the connect itself, bared 1/2 inch of wire on the two loose ends of each wire slipped a 3" length of shrink fit over one end of each pair, soldered the wires together and covered with the shrink fit and heated with a match to shrink it down to a tight fit on the wires. I did this on the four pairs of wires (All coloured matched so should not make any mistakes) I also run a cable tie around the two parts of the connector to hold them together and sprayed it with WD 40. that was three years ago and have had no problem with it since.

I hope this is useful and helps, if this does not turn out to be relevent to your lights issue its still worth knowing, as you may be able to help someone else if they have the problem that I had.

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.
Tom

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: 08 January 2016, 11:25:25 pm »
Thought I would post this as it was a problem I had with Head lights a cople of years ago on my 2003 Foxeye FZS 600.

I saw a post from you re: headlamps not or stopped working, I had a similar problem with my 2003 Foxeye FZS 600, the headlights would go out and other strange things happen in the Speedo Tacho area, one of the clocks stopped working, the problem was intermittent the next time i switched the lights on they would work sometimes for a few hours and sometimes just for a few minutes and again sometimes not at all. I spent hours under the seat and tracing the wiring through right from the battery back to rear lamp (Wasn't sure which way headlamps were fed) and eventually found the culprit under the left hand side (As your sitting on the bike) of the front fairing inner black cover (Held on by three screws) one screw by the clocks, one on the outside rear or the fairing and one on the black inner fairing cover towards the rear. under there is a white coloured multi electrical connector. I don't recall exactly how many wires are entering and exiting it but between 8 and 10 would be my guess, anyway water gets into this connector and the pins and sockets inside it corrode and cause intermittent connection problems, some of the connections were still ok but the corroded ones (4 of them 8 ends) I cut the wires tight either side of the connect itself, bared 1/2 inch of wire on the two loose ends of each wire slipped a 3" length of shrink fit over one end of each pair, soldered the wires together and covered with the shrink fit and heated with a match to shrink it down to a tight fit on the wires. I did this on the four pairs of wires (All coloured matched so should not make any mistakes) I also run a cable tie around the two parts of the connector to hold them together and sprayed it with WD 40. that was three years ago and have had no problem with it since.

I hope this is useful and helps, if this does not turn out to be relevent to your lights issue its still worth knowing, as you may be able to help someone else if they have the problem that I had.

That's what this forum is all about fella !
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: 11 January 2016, 12:53:34 am »
Following my fall 3 weeks ago, I finished repairing my bike. I replaced the fairing, repaired the headlight and straightened the handlebar.
I took the opportunity to install a Ohlins steering damper and I also installed two bi-xenon headlights. I had to remove the headlight modulator since those are incompatible with the inverters used with the HID lights.
I took the bike for a short ride in the neighborhood and it felt good. I am not quite ready for a long ride because my back is still hurting but that also is getting much better.

The issue of bi-xenon is interesting. There are at least two different types of bi-xenon upgrade kits. Both use one bulb for both low beam and high beam. You will see some upgrade kits advertised that have one HID bulb for high beam, and a regular halogen bulb for low beam. Stay away from those, they cost as much as the bi-xenon but you only get high beam in HID mode.

The more common type of bi-xenon kit, at least the most commonly found on eBay or Amazon  (like used as OEM equipment on most cars) uses a small metal flag rotated by an electromagnet to block part of the beam in low beam mode. In high beam mode, the flag rotates out of the way and all the light goes out. The problem with this type is that it requires a significant modification of the headlight assembly because the solenoid is part of a projector assembly that goes inside the headlight which has the be opened up.

The type I am using also uses a single bulb, but the low beam/high beam selection is done by moving the bulb horizontally. This is done by an electromagnet installed in the lamp holder. This system does not require modification of the headlight, you simply replace the H4 bulb with the HID bulb holder.

The specific type I bought is rated 55 W. The brightness is unbelievable.

If you ride at night, I recommend doing that modification.

Since most HID systems are intended for automobile use, you may have to work to optimize the wiring so that you do not have excessive wire looms behind the fairing.

I installed the inverters behind the dashboard under the fairing, so they are completely out of the way.

If anyone is interested, I can post pictures (I was done too late today, it was dark...)
« Last Edit: 11 January 2016, 01:24:49 am by Didier9 »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: 11 January 2016, 08:43:18 pm »
Left it in the garage, to much ice on the roads for 2 miles around my house :'(

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: 11 January 2016, 08:47:46 pm »
Left it in the garage, to much ice on the roads for 2 miles around my house :'(
Woose :pokefun :lol
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: 11 January 2016, 09:02:44 pm »
Been there, done that, wore the T-shirt, I just don't bounce as well as I used to :lol   Ice is for the younger, fitter foccers  :D In the pics mine is the orange one :thumbup

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5520 on: 11 January 2016, 09:36:53 pm »
Been there, done that, wore the T-shirt, I just don't bounce as well as I used to :lol   Ice is for the younger, fitter foccers  :D In the pics mine is the orange one :thumbup
:agree
I remember years ago on my wee cb500 I was working in Edinburgh but stayed in Glasgow  (as I still do) went out at 6 am and all was rather nice, during the day it got kinda white with snow and then iced up, got to say it took about 3 more hours to get home and it was Foccin scary :b
Nice pics though :)
« Last Edit: 11 January 2016, 09:39:29 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: 13 January 2016, 06:29:25 pm »
Rode it .

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: 13 January 2016, 06:52:41 pm »
Didn't ride it  :'( Black ice everywhere near home :grumble

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: 13 January 2016, 09:24:43 pm »
Took it to work this afternoon, first ride outside the neighborhood since "the accident" 3 1/2 weeks ago. Blue sky and clear roads, even though it's chilly, it felt good.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: 13 January 2016, 09:56:23 pm »
Took it to work this afternoon, first ride outside the neighborhood since "the accident" 3 1/2 weeks ago. Blue sky and clear roads, even though it's chilly, it felt good.

What temperature do you class as "chilly" over there? :)