Date: 29-03-24  Time: 09:46 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1586533 times)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #7750 on: 27 November 2018, 12:54:29 pm »
Balanced up the injectors. Been a little rough at idle, and not smooth when throttling up from low speed. Sounds much smoother now, runout this pm.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: 03 December 2018, 10:16:29 am »
I took the bike to Chilworth in Surrey yesterday (for a look round the gunpowder mills and a sweaty climb up to St Martha's church). The bike fired up instantly, despite not having been used in a couple of weeks, but only on two cylinders. The others chimed in increasingly often as the miles went by, but even at the end of the run it was rough as hell at low rpm. :'(

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: 03 December 2018, 01:36:07 pm »
Removed the forks, left them draining for a few hours, them ill wash em out with a little white spirit, let them drain again. Hopefully find the time to pop them back in tomorrow. Ive gone for Silkolene 5wt as my understanding is that this is a little heavier than the standard Yam01 oil. I do find the front end dive on the track a bit sharp for my liking

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: 03 December 2018, 05:29:05 pm »
Not today but all weekend , MOT booked for the boxeye next saturday so I thought I'd better check the old girl out , rear tyres a bit low so I had a rummage in the spares shed and found a rear wheel with excellent tyre and fancy wavy disc also in the shed was a new chain and sprockets so it made sence to change both as the chain was pass its best with a bad tight spot , wheel out ,chain off , new wheel fitted , cleaned the brake caliper and fit the new c+s , then out for a test ride , old tyre was a maxis and well past its best , vast improvemt with the replacement bridgestone , c+s running really smooth and I had a good enjoyable 50 mile test ride...........BUT........the rear brake was not as good as it was , hoping for an improvement with the wavy disc and cleaned cliper but really spongy and not much feel , I know these calipers are not the best but it used to be better than this , so this morning I take another look , disc looks a bit crusty after its lay up in the shed so I give it a good clean up only to descover three cracks , bu**er.........cup of tea time.....back out in the shed I decide to swap tyres and wheels so I have the new tyre on the original wheel with original disc , I have a home made bead breaker which works but I wanted to make it better so I spent a couple of hours making new parts and it now works well , 2 tyres off and one on in 60 mins , happy with that , put bike back together and another test ride , better but not best , peddle still a bit sponge , was thinking of bleeding but couldnt shift the nipples and didnt want  to break anything , so I tied the break lever down and left it , see what its liks in a couple of days........

Fingers crossed for a pass on saturday , ill then sort out this brexit problem so all you foccers can talk/ride your fazers instead    ;)

MOT today and iam pleased to say it passed with flying colours .only comment from the tester was how clean it was    :D

Left the brake lever tied down all week and  is now hard , had a littls ride after the test and the rear brake is now as it was , but iam am now on the lookout for a thou rear caliper.......

confession time......ive let all you foccers down and am truly sorry...........

total mileage for the last 12 months...........

1017 miles     :o

Hi Red,
Much the same I am afraid, since last March (2018) I have only done 1,120 miles on the Fazer.
I will not be doing anymore now until next March when it comes out of hibernation.
I recently bought a new air filter, sparkers and NGK sparker caps, 4Lts Of Shell Performance semi synth 4T oil and filter.

I got in the shed this afternoon and did the deed on the bike and to be honest the oil that came out was so clean I wondered if I should even of changed it as there was only a slightly dark-ish tinge to it, but mostly still orange/brown. air filter was clean also. Anyway I did them all, the plugs were changed the year before last so had only done 3,000 mile so have kept them as spares plus the filter that came out.

The old Semi Synth oil I will use in the mowers when I service them as it is so clean.

I think next Spring/Summer it will be time for the old Fazer to move on, I have loved owning it for the last 5 years, but to be honest it has been a project as much as a ride, I have spent a shed load on it and I am feeling its time to stop.

I did not sell my Honda C90-G, as an eBay wanker bid for it, won the auction then didn't have the money, but to be honest I am not sorry it did not sell, Plus the auction ended much, much lower than I was hoping it would.
But being realistic November is not the time to be selling a fully restored motorcycle. 
I can ride the Honda about if I want a bit of fun next summer.

I am spending more and more time on the boat now rather than the bikes anyway.

Red, I fitted a Fazer 1K Blue Spot to the rear of my 2003 FZS600 earlier in the year and serviced the front calipers at the same time, just a caution be careful the first few times you use the rear brake if you fit the Blue Sport as I locked the back wheel up by being over enthusiastic on the brake pedal. It is a great upgrade and also aesthetically it is good move to.
The pic below is the kit that I purchased from a foccer in here.
I gave it a good clean up and red rubber greased the pots before fitting and put new pads in plus new R clips    
« Last Edit: 03 December 2018, 06:30:54 pm by tommyardin »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: 08 December 2018, 11:06:21 am »
Having balanced the injectors, I've also replaced the fork oil, gone for Silkolene 5wt rather than the Yam 01, after a bit of research on weights. Took it out for a 20 mile spin, just got back in the garage, and spotted that I forgot to tighten up the caliper bolts. Twat, I must be getting senile. One bottom bolt on its last thread, the other three half out. At least the throttle snatch at low revs has gone, and the forks feel better for the swap

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7755 on: 13 December 2018, 10:23:20 pm »

It’s misfiring horribly below 4000 rpm, the plugs are seized in the head and 2nd gear is worse than useless… so I’ve bought it a replacement engine. Hopefully arriving tomorrow.
Unfortunately one of the less accessible exhaust studs is sheared so I’ll have to figure out how to extract that before I find out if the engine is good. :'(

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7756 on: 14 December 2018, 12:01:29 am »
Changed plugs, oil & filter, air filter and new coolant ready for the colder weather setting in.
Runs a bit better but has always been lumpy on idle and hesitates a bit sometimes when setting off so took carbs off for a strip and clean.
Pilot jets were a little blocked so decided to go through them with a fine toothed comb and then chuck them in my mates sonic cleaner..... until I came to remove the idle air screws!
One has snapped on me and the other 3 are seized solid.
Bike is now off the road for the foreseeable future being so close to Christmas I don't have the cash to buy some 2nd hand carbs to refurbish.
Ah Bugger  :'(

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: 15 December 2018, 12:40:32 pm »
Changed plugs, oil & filter, air filter and new coolant ready for the colder weather setting in.
Runs a bit better but has always been lumpy on idle and hesitates a bit sometimes when setting off so took carbs off for a strip and clean.
Pilot jets were a little blocked so decided to go through them with a fine toothed comb and then chuck them in my mates sonic cleaner..... until I came to remove the idle air screws!
One has snapped on me and the other 3 are seized solid.
Bike is now off the road for the foreseeable future being so close to Christmas I don't have the cash to buy some 2nd hand carbs to refurbish.
Ah Bugger  :'(

That's a bastard,it's always the same ay? what starts out as a straightforward job ends up a nightmare,if I win the big one this weekend I'll treat you to some carbs. :woot
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: 16 December 2018, 12:04:31 am »
That's a bastard,it's always the same ay? what starts out as a straightforward job ends up a nightmare,if I win the big one this weekend I'll treat you to some carbs. :woot

If I didn't have bad luck i'd have no luck at all  :rollin
Very kind of you, hope you bought a winner lol

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: 28 December 2018, 03:10:43 pm »
A ride to Bala to meet up with my friend, then we rode to Cerrig, Brenig, Rhos on Sea. Sat on the prom for a teacake and coffee at the Cayley. Back via St Asaph, Denbigh, Ruthin. 110 miles in very mild conditions, some sunshine, quiet roads. Even had to clean flies off the visor. A very enjoyable ride.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: 30 December 2018, 01:41:20 pm »
A ride to Bala, via Oswestry, Tanat Valley, over the Berwyns. Return via Cerrigydrudion, Ruthin, Bwlchgwyn. A bit of drizzle, 11 degrees. Lots of bikers out today.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: 08 January 2019, 02:43:00 pm »
A ride into Shropshire to Long Lane Cafe, Queensway, Telford, via Ellesmere, Wem, Shawbury. Dry, sunny spells, 8 degrees, very little traffic. 92 miles. Just hosed the salt away and dried the bike, ready for my next outing.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: 08 January 2019, 03:48:02 pm »
Stripped off the rear bodywork, ready to install my replacement undertray, that should be back from the sprayers any day now.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: 13 January 2019, 04:27:38 pm »
Rode out from Cwmbran to Chepstow to meet Paul (Ogri) and his missus Penny at Coffee #1.
Nice cup of coffee and a catch up and then we both took the wonderful B4235 to Usk and then on to the B4598 to the Steel Horse Cafe.
A quick trip on to Oasis Cafe in Abergavenny and then home.
Not that many miles (60+) but a great day nonetheless.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: 13 January 2019, 04:38:36 pm »
great day cheers dave, theres always a pipe smoker at these meets aint there lol...normally they are on a bimmer or an old brit, but that feller was on a pan.. :lol ps when penny said she didn't have a textile two piece she was being economical with the truth lol, its just hers don't fit her "at the moment"... :lol :lol :lol :lol 

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: 15 January 2019, 03:20:43 pm »
A ride to Llangollen then over to Long Lane Cafe, Telford, for dinner, via Ellesmere, Wem, Shawbury. Nice weather, dry roads, 9 degrees. Numerous bikers out and about. Some at the cafe.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: 15 January 2019, 04:07:39 pm »
Changed the plugs today and put in CR9Es. Out came CR8EKs with double electrode arms, much to my surprise. They've been in there for at least 12k since a dealer service and it ran very well.
Are the K ones the same as standard, but with the double arm?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: 20 January 2019, 03:08:01 pm »
Splash and dash 20 mile blat after yesterdays rain has washed away the salt and its all dry now. Although every time I stopped it smelt like an old lawn mower from all the ACF50 burning off that I put on after the last time I went out  :lol .
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: 20 January 2019, 05:18:34 pm »
!5 miles local roads, home, rinse, wash, and dry, ready for an MOT test tomorrow. Should pass I reckon. Shame on me, only covered 1500 miles last year, I reckon 400 on donington park alone.

I need to get out more

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: 20 January 2019, 05:33:04 pm »
!5 miles local roads, home, rinse, wash, and dry, ready for an MOT test tomorrow. Should pass I reckon. Shame on me, only covered 1500 miles last year, I reckon 400 on donington park alone.

I need to get out more
Forget tree rings for the history of the UKs weather, you just need to go through my MOTs and read the mileage over 20 years and that will tell you all you need to know, last year for me was a record in mileage. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7770 on: 21 January 2019, 04:40:18 pm »

I need to get out more

It's a pass  :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: 21 January 2019, 07:12:24 pm »

excellent news mate!
I started back at uni so a cold commute in and out of wales and Bristol..no snow though thank the lord

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: 04 February 2019, 01:23:55 pm »
A ride to Long Lane Cafe, Telford, via Whitchurch, Wem, Shawbury. Mild, 9 degrees, and sunny. 95 miles.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: 15 February 2019, 01:38:47 pm »
A ride to Bala, via Oswestry, Tanat Valley, over the Berwyns. Return via Cerrig, Ruthin, Llandegla. Frosty start, rapidly warming up. 14 degrees in Bala. Saw many bikers out.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: 16 February 2019, 01:49:16 pm »
A ride to Oulton Park to meet up with some friends at a track day, then over to cafe at Wem for food and drink.Great weather once again.