Date: 24-04-24  Time: 13:09 pm

Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 2035 times)

Heather_S

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Hi there
« on: 10 February 2013, 04:58:35 pm »
Hey, I'm a new member of the forum and don't really know my way around yet.  :\ I don't have a bike myself but I enjoy pillion riding with my fella at the controls (some great routes up here in Yorkshire). The reason I joined the forum is that I want to but a Fazer 600 for him as an anniversary gift - so he can upgrade from his Suzuki GS500. So really I'm here to find out as much as I can and look around for any bikes for sale...
Good to meet you all  :b
Heather

Bender

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Visit our Italian Yamaha official FazerClub Forum
Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2013, 05:43:22 pm »
Hi Heather,
welcome from another new member of this forum. I assume that you're referring to an used bike becouse it isn't still sold.
First of all, he doesn't have to change his old GS500, he can keep it and add a "new" 2nd hand Fazer600.
If he's fascinated by a bit 'old models, the former Fazer 600, the FZS600, IMHO is better than newer.
The way in which the power is supplied by her engine and the fuel consumption is better than the Fazer/FZ6 model... The suspensions are better, the brakes are better (except in the "S2" model, where are just the same). Moreover, the price is very interesting, in Italy you can take a 2003 good condition FZS600 for around 2000 euros, I think in UK the same.

What do you have to check in a 2nd hand bike ?
Look for scratches (symptom of a slip), brake discs without jagged wear (too many kilometers), transission chain and related cogwheels, the front fork legs, the brake lever and the clutch lever which must not be bent, irregularities of the engine noise, no smoke at the exhaust. And of course the tyres.

Here she is:

Let us know how it turned out.

Best wishes for a good buy  ;)
« Last Edit: 10 February 2013, 05:56:12 pm by Bender »

Heather_S

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2013, 06:00:21 pm »
Thanks Bender  ;) I know, he could build a fleet of bikes (he prob will tbh) but the GS is his commuter workhorse bike hes had for a while and I know he would love a fazer. A bit more fun maybe  :) ? Yeah I'm looking for an older one (around yr 2000) as he likes older bikes. FZS600? helpful tip ;-P

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2013, 07:03:12 am »
Hi Heather , yes sure is a good bike from what the owners say, a bit more nippy than the 500s .
Good luck in your search.
Billy
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2013, 07:11:15 am »
Heather  - check your PM messages
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2013, 08:16:20 am »
Hi Heather, and Welcome to the forum. Had a GS500 myself a few years ago, ace little bikes. The Fzs600 is a different beast altogether, and a much more capable machine. Your other half will love it after the 500, and I couldn't think of a better present for him. He'll love ya forever  ;)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2013, 11:24:38 am »
Hi Heather
Welcome to the site, hopefully the two of you will hang around when you find the right bike for you. The 600 is a great bike and he will be a happy bunny. Of the two models there are I would think the 'BOX' eye Mk1 would suit your hubby as it will surely become a classic although the 'FOX' eye is also well up there as it has the upgrades that the Mk1 needed e.g. the headlights.
Check brakes have been looked after, downpipes not rotten or even better if stainless have been fitted, headlight mod (Mk1), suspension is ok.

Good luck to you  :)
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2013, 07:11:34 pm »
Blue fox eye's are the best, of course,,,,,

Heather_S

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2013, 09:49:55 pm »
Hi all, great to have so many replies! I'm hoping the other half doesnt join the forum to look for a bike himself, it seems his cup of tea so when the 600 is acquired I'll introduce him to this place  :)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2013, 10:19:13 pm »
Welcome!

Go for it! As said above, the blue fox eye is the best one, i'm not biased at all...  ;)

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2013, 10:51:42 pm »
Theres a nice looking black one not too expensive on "biker Booty" on Face book, think it is someone called Paul Wood and is in Peterborough, bike or owner unknown to me but might be worth a look.

If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.