Date: 24-04-24  Time: 09:24 am

Author Topic: Snapped Pilot screws  (Read 1586 times)

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Snapped Pilot screws
« on: 18 February 2013, 10:13:29 am »
I was adjustiing my pilot screws to the correct 2 turns out, in an attempt to smooth my idle, and 2 of the foccers snapped! (well the tip where you put the screwdriver) Not suprising as they appear to be made of cheese.

Urgh! Any idea of they can be changed in situ, or if I need to remove the carbs.... (its cylinder 1 and 2 that have broken)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Snapped Pilot screws
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2013, 11:34:12 am »
I'd also be interested to know of a solution for this problem, ended up replacing my first set of carbs for exactly the same reason. I had them out on the bench soaking in WD40 for ages, machined a crosspoint driver for a perfect match to the screw head, applied heat... none of it worked, they all sheared off. I suppose you could drill the remains out if you were very careful, but a second hand set felt like the easier option to me.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2013, 11:35:31 am »
Its such a pain! Its only the tips, so I could remove the carbs and unscrew them with pliers/mole grips.

Its running ok at the moment at its current settings, so I will leave it until I need to redo it. When the screws are 15 pounds each it becomes expensive when they all snap!

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2013, 12:04:35 pm »
Hope you can get them out mate, I had to get new carbs because of that problem!! One did come out for me though, hacksaw and cut down a nice grove for a flathead and get one to fit the groove well as u said they are made of cheese so be carful, the whole punch and hammer didn't work for me at all, it disintegrated the top of one of them, :eek

Also make sure when I take out the screw that the spring and rubber washer come out aswel,

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2013, 12:05:31 pm »
Its good thing they arent seized in, so they turn, but the ones that snapped turned with a bit of resistance which didnt help I think.

Looks like I will be removing the carbs.

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2013, 12:18:33 pm »

Looks like I will be removing the carbs.

best of luck with that dude, i have lost cout of the amount of times iv taken carbs in and out of my fazer its in the high 40's at this stage(i wish that was an exageration)

just was unsure of what i was doing and seized screws and broken bits bla bla bla, but can now remove in record speed  :D

p.s no harm buying a £3 can of carb cleaner to do a spring clean when your in there??

have you removed them before?

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2013, 12:23:32 pm »
Fair enough, fingers crossed it isnt too much of a pain. I have done work with carbs etc in the past, but only on single cylinder engines.

Yeah, I will give it a clean out whilst im removing it, already have a big can of brake cleanear which should do! :)

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2013, 01:00:59 pm »
oh i love brake cleaner, same effect( but unsure of the technicalities of what sort of residue brake cleaner leaves in respect to carb cleaner)

its easy pleasy

1. take off seat
[size=78%]2. remove tank[/size]
[size=78%]3. remove panel side panels[/size]
[size=78%]4. remove battery[/size]
[size=78%]5. remove pump to carb fuel pipe from the pump and unbolt pump and coils cross bar(be carful removing spark plugs trough all pipes and wires and will leak fuel when doing this also unplug pump conector)[/size]
[size=78%]6. remove tps connection[/size]
[size=78%]7. remove choke cable fastner and cable from the carb[/size]
[size=78%]8. unscrew all 8 fastners holding carb to airbox and intake headers. also removing bolt holding airbox to frame on both sides and on top where the pump was[/size]
[size=78%]9. pull airbox back pushing carbs down should easily remove them from intake headers, push cylinder 1 side down and pull up cylinder 4 to pull carbs up to when tank should be, now remove trottle cables as now you can see what your doing with them.[/size]
[size=78%]10. pull out carb overflow hoses and open petrol tank, put both pipes into tank and turn carbs upside down to remove fuel from floats(surprising amount of fuel to be saved[/size] ;) )

exact opposite in reverse but when you have trottle cables on be sure to twist trottle to make sure they close just as briskly as when removing, i done it once when the trottle wouldnt close at all?
also have a pry bar or pull bar ready behind the airbox and made sure they are all aligned up as airbox tends to bend(small rub of washing up liquid will help- no oil as oil wont dry it will just make airbox keep falling off( also remove the little frame that bolts from bike frame to top of airbox as it can obstruct moving the airbox up and down to get carb in position( second pair of hands will help here to no end :)

hope this helps a little bit

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2013, 01:02:33 pm »
Awesome, thanks very much. Will keep you updated when I eventually get the replacement bits.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2013, 04:32:26 pm »
The Haynes manual (see download section) was fairly easy to follow as well - just my two cents :)

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2013, 06:14:41 pm »
The Haynes manual (see download section) was fairly easy to follow as well - just my two cents :)
Dead right dead eye lol

But seriously, if you have a Haynes manuel use it, much better and in depth info, I could make a list 4 pages long of what exactly to do and how to unscrew each bolt but I'm not,
Haynes is really handy thing to have if you plan on doing any work to the bike, only downside is you might want to see a certain picture of something on the manuel but all it shows is the yzf thundercat in some parts, pity