Date: 26-04-24  Time: 09:42 am

Author Topic: Brake disks  (Read 2141 times)

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
Brake disks
« on: 15 February 2013, 10:47:47 am »
I'm going to need new disks front and rear pretty soon, does anywhere do them for a reasonable price?  A pattern set on wemoto is almost £350 which seems a bit steep (probably half the value of my bike too).  Where's the best place for them?

Also, are the front right and left disks different?

Ta  :)
« Last Edit: 15 February 2013, 10:52:37 am by Lawrence »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Brake disks
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2013, 10:58:22 am »
I've found wemoto to be pretty expensive for certain parts - discs being one of them. I've been looking recently and fleaBay has had some better options. Obviously its a case of you get what you pay for. Also be aware that decent pads will chew threw cheaper discs quite fast - I believe darrsi had this issue whereby a set of sintered pads wore down the discs within a year or so (though if memory serves, other forces were in play as well?). Using softer pads is obviously the better option but means you may need to keep on top of maintenance a bit more and clean off the dust etc

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2013, 11:01:01 am »
I've just been looking on ebay actually, will probably end up getting some off there come payday.
clean
I don't understand  :look

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2013, 11:18:18 am »
I've bought s/h off ebay in the past with no problems, but last year opted for new EBC discs. They're quite a bit lighter than the OE ones thanks to the alloy centres, a bit grabby at first until the pads had bedded in and now they're nice and progressive dry or wet. Only problem I've found is they're much more prone to seizing the pads to the disc if you park the bike up when they're wet... makes it a bugger to get the bike off the centrestand, but is fine once you've got it moving again.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2013, 12:03:05 pm »
I had a few bob and went the EBC route. But the chinese discs on fleabay worked well on a Bandit 600 that I had too if cash is a problem. Don't know about the steel they use and what life you get on the chinese discs as I sold the bike after 5k miles. But running wise, I couldn't fault them.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2013, 03:14:30 pm by packie »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2013, 12:14:59 pm »
"....reasonable priced discs...."  :rollin :rollin :rollin
Sorry, it's just that i spent so much money on trying to sort my "issue" out that i realised 2nd hand was the only way you'd get a decent price!
New one's are not cheap at all.
I've no doubt that the EBC Pro-Lite is a good rear disc, and fairly reasonable in price, but DO NOT USE SINTERED PADS ON THE REAR.
As Dead Eye said, they ate mine as if they were made of wood! I bought the rear disc last April i think, and it's gonna need replacing this summer.
On the front, i ended up with Kagizume discs (mine are wavy, but they do round one's too) from Sandy Bike Spares, which have mixed reviews, but to be honest most of any negative reviews were from track racers, who obviously abuse discs to the max.
Not only have mine been absolutely fine, but i like the fact that they're actually thicker than standard discs, so should last you a lot longer.
And they look pretty too.  :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=fzs600+brake+discs&_sacat=0&_odkw=kagizume+brake+discs&_osacat=0&_from=R40

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2013, 12:59:33 pm »
I'll check them out, thanks.

Are disks sided, or are they the same?  Wemote has left and right listed separately, other places just list them as front...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2013, 01:29:41 pm »
I'll check them out, thanks.

Are disks sided, or are they the same?  Wemote has left and right listed separately, other places just list them as front...
Nope, they're identical, and work independently, so if you damaged one you can just replace the one disc, thankfully!

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2013, 03:40:16 pm »
"....reasonable priced discs...."  :rollin :rollin :rollin

I've no doubt that the EBC Pro-Lite is a good rear disc, and fairly reasonable in price, but DO NOT USE SINTERED PADS ON THE REAR.

I have more than one mechanic say to me that you shouldn't use sintered pads on any rear disc, really.

But even if a person did, they wouldn't eat the EBC's like yours did under normal useage. It wouldn't be any harm to also let the OP aware that you were using the rear disc as your main stopping power as you had problems with your front disc.

Think about what you did...TWO pistons trying to do the work of EIGHT pistons....and ONE brake disc trying to do the work of TWO brake discs. It's a no-brainer really that the sintered pads had only a minor part to play in your EBC disc's demise. Any disc would have given up the ghost quickly with that kind of abnormal useage.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2013, 04:21:56 pm »
Yeah, it was a neccessity at the time, but a lesson learned also.
They do work bloody well on the rear though, i will say that!