Date: 18-04-24  Time: 20:42 pm

Author Topic: Beware Cyclists :o)  (Read 1218 times)

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
Beware Cyclists :o)
« on: 04 February 2013, 11:45:53 am »
Beware Cyclists :o)   :eek   

I sent this one out to a few friends last week .. got me thinking it might raise a smile or whatever on here too?

What you see is for real .. Red cycle lanes in Denia .. smack down the centre of traffic lanes on the main roads and around traffic islands.

I risked life and limb (by staying still for about 15 minutes) to get these shots .. not a single push bike inside the lanes (so they are not all daft). 

I think the basic idea is that bike riders should stay within the red lines and not duck and dive amongst the cars and trucks.  Of course we all know how much notice theses guys take of traffic laws.

We all know these push bike riders .. No Road Tax, No Insurance, No Nothing and of course the local (Town) Police here are not interested one little bit .. even more so when the rules are as daft as this.   

Just for the record .. I was many years ago a very keen long distance competitive cyclists .. member of the winning Royal Navy team in the Inter Services Tour of Italy, etc.   So I have no axe to grind with bike riders .. other then with the Red Light jumping brigade!  :evil

I think that maybe it could have something to do with 'joining up' cycle lanes outside the town centre .. in order to qualify for more EU funding .. Euros per Metre  ?    Coming to a town near you .. any day soon   :rolleyes  I recon.

Stay Safe Peeps .. ride on the WHITE line  8)    Trev   The Polar Bear in Spain.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Beware Cyclists :o)
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2013, 11:50:08 am »
Near to me is a wide dual carriageway, with unused footpaths either side, and my local council in their infinite wisdom wasted ££££££££££ of my money painting cycle lanes on the left hand side of each carriageway.

Where else would a cyclist be??????????????
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2013, 12:21:48 pm »
Down in East London on Mile End Road, they've got one of the cycle super highways, which takes up half the bus lane. A lane also open to motorcyclists and taxies. All well and good, but they've painted the cycle bit blue. When I say painted, half the road is covered in thick, shiny, slippery blue paint. Then moving to the right, you've got a thick white solid line marking the boundary between bus lane and rest of road. Also very slippery.

In the wet weather it's a bloody nightmare! It's a busy road, lots of junctions, lights, bus stops etc. Constantly need to brake, duck and dive to go down the road. A couple of times I've had the back end lock up and skid a bit...

See here on Google Street view

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2013, 12:43:03 pm »
some of the tactile paving near my local pub gets very slippery when wet, only a matter of time before someone sues the council
thou shalt not kick

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2013, 05:18:14 pm »
I think the basic idea is that bike riders should stay within the red lines and not duck and dive amongst the cars and trucks.  Of course we all know how much notice theses guys take of traffic laws.

Looking at them, I'd think the idea is to keep them a car door's away from parked vehicles.

Although, tell me, are the yellow chevrons on the right like our Zig-Zag "No Parking or stopping" lines outside schools etc...?

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2013, 05:24:10 pm »
And in addition to what G says, to hopefully get the cyclists out a bit and take defensive ownership of the road - stop drivers overtaking through a gap that isnt wide enough and either clipping the bike or forcing the bike into the parked vehicles. Although, having said that, Spanish drivers are pretty considerate (far more so than British drivers) towards cyclists. Perhaps its more for the benefit of the large numbers of ex-pats around Denia? ;)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2013, 06:38:38 pm »
We all know these push bike riders .. No Road Tax, No Insurance, No Nothing and of course the local (Town) Police here are not interested one little bit .. even more so when the rules are as daft as this.   

Crazy laws.  I'd no idea cyclists were taxed and had to have insurance in Spain.  How silly is that?

All well and good, but they've painted the cycle bit blue.

Are they seriously expecting cyclists to ride that close to the kerb?  Crazy.  And painting the the thing, is it ordinary road paint?  Are you sure it's not there to encourage  cyclists to keep out a bit?