Date: 24-04-24  Time: 16:20 pm

Author Topic: Caught by a camera  (Read 3590 times)

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Caught by a camera
« on: 31 January 2013, 08:18:03 pm »
Before Christmas I sped through a speed camera and got caught (stationary camera that flashed) funnily enough it was in the cage while I wasn't paying attention, not on the mighty fazer which I am probably more likely to speed on. As I've never been flashed before I was wondering if people know how long it usually takes to receive the fine/points in the post as I've heard nothing yet.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Caught by a camera
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2013, 08:22:43 pm »
They're supposed to send a NIP (Notice of Intention to Prosecute) within 14 days, which asks who was driving. If it hasn't turned up now, you're probably ok.

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2013, 08:23:11 pm »
Not 100% sure but i think they have 3 months to notify you??. If there was film in it?

Ray

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2013, 08:26:17 pm »
They're supposed to send a NIP (Notice of Intention to Prosecute) within 14 days, which asks who was driving. If it hasn't turned up now, you're probably ok.

+1 absolutely right rich.spot on.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Caught by a camera
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2013, 08:30:10 pm »
Not sure about film as it was one of the new style which I thought was digital.
If it is 14 days then I'm ok then as its been around 40 days.

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2013, 08:50:39 pm »
Before Christmas I sped through a speed camera and got caught (stationary camera that flashed) funnily enough it was in the cage while I wasn't paying attention, not on the mighty fazer which I am probably more likely to speed on. As I've never been flashed before I was wondering if people know how long it usually takes to receive the fine/points in the post as I've heard nothing yet.
Yup, sounds like you wuz lucky Panthor,  14 day NIP is required.  Straight cough in print on open internet for everyone to see though for driving without due care and attention.  Doh!!   :rolleyes
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Caught by a camera
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2013, 09:05:32 pm »
Well that's the thing I was expecting something and wouldn't have minded as I was being stupid at the time as it was late at night and I wanted to get home. Ahwell hopefully I've escaped punishment and will have just learnt my lesson not to be so absent minded while driving.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2013, 08:16:10 am »
tbh you probably " learned" more by not getting caught than being done...when you will feel aggrieved and want to get yer own back on the system!

I got let off a silly speeding offence ( cruising over limit in a 40)many yrs ago, and paid so much more attention in the future...its whats so wrong with this " automatic" speed fines. No discretion, no opportunity to improve drivers by face to face talking.No room for error...sure use a blunt stick for th eidiots, but marginal overages aint always that big an issue, depending on traffic conditions...

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2013, 08:49:23 am »
Is the car registered to you? If so, 14 day rule applies. If not, the 14 day rule applies to the registered keeper only and it can take much longer before the driver hears.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Caught by a camera
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2013, 08:59:39 am »
Yep car is registered to me and has been for 3 years.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2013, 09:07:04 am »
tbh you probably " learned" more by not getting caught than being done...when you will feel aggrieved and want to get yer own back on the system!

I got let off a silly speeding offence ( cruising over limit in a 40)many yrs ago, and paid so much more attention in the future...its whats so wrong with this " automatic" speed fines. No discretion, no opportunity to improve drivers by face to face talking.No room for error...sure use a blunt stick for th eidiots, but marginal overages aint always that big an issue, depending on traffic conditions...

Its all changed a little bit since last time you were 'told off' fir speeding. The more recent way they do it is that if your under 42 in a 30 zone and never had a speed conviction before, then you'll get offered the speed awareness course, or the points, or arttend court.

And if you've not re-registered your vehicle, they'll catch up with you eventually, the nip won't matter, and you'll get reported to attend court where the magistrates will probably spank you for more than the original offence.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

UG

• Bitch Dungle.
  • GP Hero
  • DaveG is a moron
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TIGER 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2013, 04:41:03 pm »
They have 14 days to notify you of the offence. Unless you have moved house and not notified DVLC then they have as long as they want. 
If it arrives after the statutory 14 days, you send it back with a letter saying that it has "time elapsed" they will try it on and want you to take the points and fine. More info can be found on pepipoo.

DaveG is..... The Deer Hunter

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Caught by a camera
« Reply #13 on: 02 February 2013, 06:39:11 pm »

The more recent way they do it is that if your under 42 in a 30 zone and never had a speed conviction before, then you'll get offered the speed awareness course,

If the rd was 30 mph The allowance is 6+3 mph meaning if 39 or under you get the awareness course option if over than points or court only option.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2013, 07:58:51 pm »
Well both my missus and my son got caught in seperate inidents, and the NIP stated under 42 and you get offered the course.

The usual criteria In Lancs for prosecution used to be 10% +2 over the limit. Not sure if its changed with the new system.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2013, 08:12:16 pm »
Steve, think 10%+2 was the recommendation from the acpo? AFAIK, its still the case?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: 02 February 2013, 08:13:04 pm by richfzs »

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 February 2013, 08:29:48 pm »
Steve, think 10%+2 was the recommendation from the acpo? AFAIK, its still the case?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not entirely sure tbh. Not something that I normally deal with. I think CPS also take another angle on it again with a different criteria. How confusing could it all get??? :eek

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2013, 08:33:02 pm »

The usual criteria In Lancs for prosecution used to be 10% +2 over the limit. Not sure if its changed with the new system.

This is what I always thought, but my dad got caught a couple of years ago (albeit in Cornwall / Devon) and went on the course where they said it is 10% + 1

Realistically its not a huge difference, especially at higher speeds, but just something to be aware of :)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2013, 08:36:16 pm »

This is what I always thought, but my dad got caught a couple of years ago (albeit in Cornwall / Devon) and went on the course where they said it is 10% + 1

Realistically its not a huge difference, especially at higher speeds, but just something to be aware of :)

It's possibly all different percentages depending on what equipment was used to record the speed too. And wether the operator was left or right handed :lol . It's a mystery really!

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Caught by a camera
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2013, 11:35:45 pm »
The below link will give you all the info you need page 3 especially and in a 30 limit is as per what I Stated to be able to do the awareness course

http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/uniformed/2010/201004UNSAC01.pdf

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 February 2013, 12:11:12 am »
Its just a guide if you read the paragraph under the table on page 3, area forces exercise the right to vary these, hence why its 42 in Lancs as I previously said. Area forces do vary some of the regulations as per ACPO.