Date: 26-04-24  Time: 05:52 am

Author Topic: Bikesafe - Leicester - 06/04/2013  (Read 2353 times)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Bikesafe - Leicester - 06/04/2013
« on: 31 January 2013, 10:00:30 am »
Have just booked in on this course :-)

There are quite a few tense moments for a new rider.  Rain, cross wind, cornering.  So much to learn.  I'm hoping this is going to be the first of many bike courses to help improve the standard of my riding :-)

Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Bikesafe - Leicester - 06/04/2013
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2013, 04:17:20 pm »
Its a very good course for begginers. When i did it it was a day course but now just a 45min assesment ride. Well...here in london anyways.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2013, 04:04:55 pm »
warwicks ran a bike safe  a few yrs back  at Gaydon,where you could take out a choice of test bikes on a short assessment ride. :)

Never too old to learn a few tricks, mostly putting right any bad habits which do tend to creep in .Its always a laff having a cop follow you , knowing he probably wont do you if you do speed a little bit !  :lol ...got to give them something to talk to you about ....

Post up a link, might be interested myself.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2013, 05:29:57 pm »
I ordered it from the bike safe site which is http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/

This is an example youtube video (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

It looks good and I've heard some good reports.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2013, 08:21:21 am »
Hi simon
Just had a look at the bikesafe page, and its almost every weekend. My suggestion would be to book using a 5 day weather forecast , which could minimise the chance of bad weather spoiling it. Having said that  a little rain could be an advantage as fewer riders may turn up so you get more tuition !eg if you check 5 day 4cast on a tues/wed, could book for the weekend.
cheers
Jon

mcsuffolk

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2013, 09:33:12 pm »
If anyone is interested in Bikesafe in Suffolk message me as I have the dates it is being held.....
April 19th and 20th
May 17th and 18th
are the next two, but loads of others available through the year....
Friday evening is theory and classroom bits and pieces then Saturday morning is out for assessed rides with feedback and somemore classroom in the afternoon....

ridgemere

• CBT Wobbler
  • mmm nevermind
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Push bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2013, 10:03:32 pm »
Did this course last year and recommend it highly. Start at Enderby and once the videos are out of the way head out on to the Leicestershire roads for about 4 hours with frequent stops to pass on some good advice.

Pack lunch included.

The copper says keep to the speed limits on single carriageways but on the duals and m-ways we WILL be the fastest things on there, and we where.
He even videos your riding for you.(Got to be the dullest dvd I've got.) :z

Enjoy.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2013, 11:24:01 am »

I Went to the Leicester Bikesafe course on the 6/4/2013.  It was a great day apart from dropping my bike.

The police riders were great.  Helpful, understanding, sympathetic and fun.  A great laugh.  We had the obligatory video and the ride out.  The video was actually very good when combined with real life examples and commentary by the instructors.

The ride out was average, mainly due to the speed limits (drat them darned speed limits) and the density of traffic.

Apparently we even get a DVD with some of our riding posted out to us which will be pretty darned cool.

The packed lunch was awesome.  3 sarnies, crisps, chocolate, fruit and a drink.  Top notch nosh.

I have no idea how they can afford to do this for £45.

If you haven't been on one, go on one.  You won't regret it.

**Update**
I received the DVD of the rideout a week or so back, and whilst the quality of the video is average and there is no audio commentary there is thankfully no corny music either.  It's considerably better than nothing even though I didn't think any of the video showed my any exciting pieces of the ride.  Nice guys, the DVD is definitely above and beyond.

PS.  Sorry for the repost, I'm sending a link to this post to the Bikesafe co-ordinator for his info  :)

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2013, 12:12:28 pm »
Due to road safety funding, West Midlands can now offer BikeSafe workshops for the reduced cost of just £10 per rider!!

http://bikesafe.co.uk/police-forces/west-midlands.aspx