Date: 18-04-24  Time: 01:11 am

Author Topic: Front Fork Respray.......  (Read 5801 times)

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
Front Fork Respray.......
« on: 30 January 2013, 08:24:54 pm »
hey guys&gals,
i know some of you do your own mods etc, just wondering what sort of paint/primer/laquer is best to use on the lower half of my forks?
i want to go gloss black so can someone talk me through the process???
thank you!
Ride It Like You've Stole It

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
Re: Front Fork Respray.......
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2013, 11:49:41 pm »
I did mine about a week ago. I did my inner brake disc and caliper too as well as the Blue Spot. I didn't bother with Primer or Laquer. Its still glossy enuff and its simple to touch up if it gets chipped ect.

I just took off the wheel and did the forks on the bike. I gave the forks a rub of 600 grade sandpaper first. It probably would be best to use a primer but I couldn't be ar*ed. Just be careful putting the wheel back on and that the speedo is correctly installed or you can damage the unit.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2013, 11:59:30 pm »
Oh....thats dirt on the fork leg in case you think it looks a bit rough and tatty. The forks came up as it they were professionally done. I can post a photo of them clean tomorrow if you want. I prefer the black job to the silver originals.

I was going to do those two outer cam covers in Blue....wadda ya think? I suppose if I don't like it, I cud always polish them back to metal again.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2013, 10:49:14 am »
This might be a better photo. This is with no primer/Laquer and after a week and a half of stormy weather and Irish pot holed roads!

Bias

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSF 650 Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2013, 12:43:20 pm »
I did mine with a rattle can in a metallic silver
Quick wipe down with petrol to get all the oily deposits off and a rinse with soapy warm water
Let it dry and a rough up with 600 grit wet and dry.
Bog standard grey primer and then the silver over the top
I did lacquer it in the petrol proof stuff but wish I hadnt as gonna be an ares to touch up if I need to

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2013, 12:53:51 pm »
I did mine with a rattle can in a metallic silver
Quick wipe down with petrol to get all the oily deposits off and a rinse with soapy warm water
Let it dry and a rough up with 600 grit wet and dry.
Bog standard grey primer and then the silver over the top
I did lacquer it in the petrol proof stuff but wish I hadnt as gonna be an ares to touch up if I need to

Ya....I forgot to mention I used a rattle can too from the Motor Factors. I skipped the prime,r but it would make life easier to prime it, I guess. The critical thing is to clean it and sand it. If it's prepped ok, the paint will go on OK even without primer.

I also skipped the laquer for the above reason...the inability to touch up the paint afterwards because the front forks get zinged a lot with stones and stuff form the road. I can just give a little simple "touch up" from time to time without even taking the wheel off.

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2013, 05:23:55 pm »
brilliant thanks folks....
so definate clean, just standard primer????? then gloss black paint....

anyone used the plasticote spray cans to do it? ?

just waiting for my friend to get back from spain so i can get in his work shop and do it!!

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2013, 05:34:58 pm »
id sugest you always use a primer and plasticoat is goodish paint just check with any paint that it doesnt react with prievious paints,for a prof job strip back to bare metal,primer and paint ,mine are getting a bit tatty but im going to wrap them i think after iv stripped them

fazerblue

• Weekend Warrior
  • made to ride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2013, 07:41:43 pm »
I rubbed mine down with 800 until all the laquer was gone then used itching primer and rubbed that down smooth then they were sprayed with 2k gloss black and baked this is because i had the help of my local sprayer hope this helps.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2013, 11:46:03 pm »
brilliant thanks folks....
so definate clean, just standard primer????? then gloss black paint....

anyone used the plasticote spray cans to do it? ?

just waiting for my friend to get back from spain so i can get in his work shop and do it!!

Plasticote is what I used on mine. Shake can well. Plain primer should do. Give the fork legs a rub of 600 grade sandpaper first. Don't get too close spraying it or don't concentrate on one spot for too long or the paint might run. Keep the can back about 18 inches for starters, and spray in a sweeping motion and moving in a bit closer to about 12 inches, but don't get any closer. Give it a light coat and allow to dry for 30 mins or so, and then give it another coat to finish. Use your friends workshop as doing it outside can be tricky even if there is a slight breeze. Also, if his workshop is fairly small, be careful and cover your paintwork with a bike cover or something....you be surprised where the overspray could land. Post a photo when you have it done. Best of luck.

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2013, 12:56:22 pm »
cheers mate.... hes back now but got to help him with his VTR first! haha
i'll let you know when its done and post some pics on here to show you!

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2013, 12:59:46 pm »
cheers mate.... hes back now but got to help him with his VTR first! haha
i'll let you know when its done and post some pics on here to show you!

Hope his VTR is ok....my buddy's VTR caught fire in the loom for no apparent reason!! There was a flaw in the loom. It's a yankee import making it all the more difficult to replace the loom. A new one costs €650!

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2013, 02:22:15 pm »
I rubbed mine down with 800 until all the laquer was gone then used itching primer and rubbed that down smooth then they were sprayed with 2k gloss black and baked this is because i had the help of my local sprayer hope this helps.

sorry, this raised a giggle due to a typo.. I take it you meant etch primer when you typed iching.. just had visions of you scratching yourself crazy while spraying  :lol ..

Love the fairing lowers btw, who makes those and what sorts price? wouldnt mind a set for my gen 1 thou
Budgie

fazerblue

• Weekend Warrior
  • made to ride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 February 2013, 02:56:26 pm »
 :lol Yep you are right I should check before I press the send button I got my lowers from M&P cost about £120 worth checking their site to see if they do them for the thou.