Date: 19-04-24  Time: 19:19 pm

Author Topic: Do you use your DB killer?  (Read 4729 times)

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
Do you use your DB killer?
« on: 19 October 2011, 04:35:13 pm »
Rode into London today with mine out and a lot of bikes are still louder than mine. Ok I know a lot keep them out so are technically illegal, but at idle or low revs its still a lot quieter than any of the HDs I encountered.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use your DB killer?
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2011, 04:52:36 pm »
i have a renegade silencer on my bike and i have to admit it is not over noisey,but as i live in a close residental area im fitting a standard silencer as i leave for work at 530am and dont want to upset too many people as some are old and some have young children,when funds are available i will get a better can and keep it legal,my vfr750 actualy sounds very nice with the removable baffles out and not over noisey,my firestorm used to set car alarms off,when i first got the firestorm i had art cans on it,i rode into a small town with narrow streets with a police car behind me,that bike was loud but i never got pulled on it

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2011, 10:39:09 pm »
Beowulf Tri Oval Road legal can on mine, always ride with it in, even dynoed with it still in place. 135+bhp at rear wheel, so what's the point of removing?  I'd only get hassle if stop checked and in legal form it's still louder and better sound than o/e can, without annoying anyone else like them HD's do!  :rolleyes
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2011, 11:10:14 pm »
Blue flame twin port, did a track day today so fitted both baffels in.  Was tested at 92 db and todays limit was 105 db
I could have Poped out 1 easy but both would have failed. I normaly ride with 1 in and that's road legal.
I don't realy notice a diff between 1 and no baffels but both fitted is a noticable drop in power.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2011, 05:06:36 am »
I have an Akrapovic full race on my Gen 1, due to its size and volume it is not too noisy and passes the MOT each year easily. Above 6000 rpm it gets louder (EXUP open) but still not too noisy. I love the look of the small cans like MIVV, but they are a bit restrictive with the baffles in or way too noisy with them out.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2011, 08:59:53 am »
Just curious. Mine comes out for a dab of copper grease on the retaining bolt every time I do the exup and I usually wait a day or two before putting it back. Neighbours confirm they can tell the difference but it doesn't bother them as long as I keep the exup closed. Since it is a large can (Quill evo) it sounds pretty good and not too loud below 6k which is where commuting happens anyway (mostly  :b )

Will be going back in this afternoon.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2011, 05:12:38 pm »
I have a Scropion end can (and Ivan's kit) and usuuallly run the bike with the baffle in.  After all, there is no point in attracting unwanted attention when on a 'spirited' ride.  On the odd occasion that I do remove it I am very concious of how loud the bike is; perhaps that's because I am not used to it.