Date: 25-04-24  Time: 11:43 am

Author Topic: Nurburgring  (Read 8129 times)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Nurburgring
« on: 23 January 2013, 11:42:12 am »
Right boys and girls,

I am planning a trip with a mate for September this year. To give you a flavour of the trip, we are getting the ferry for Newcastle to Amsterdam, heading down the rehin vally then we are heading to the nurburgring for some laps, get it ticked of the bucket list. After that, it's down to Europa park, then up through the Alsace and back to Amsterdam via Belgique. I have never been to the ring before, although have visited Germany many times (10+) and have travelled through Europe, including a 3002 mile, 9 country trip a few months ago.

I was wondering if any of you foccers have been to the ring, particularly on the bike. Is it worth staying in the town, which is about 3 times more expencive that staying 10km away? Are the nordschleife days as bad/dangerous as people say? Is it better to go in the morning/afternoon/evening? Is it worth spending 9 days in my one-piece leathers for 10 laps of the ring? Is it worth getting a lift round first to get an idea of the track, sorry, road? Do you have any personal experience you would like to share with the foccers?

I am relying on the expertise of more experienced riders than I...

Thanks

Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Re: Nurburgring
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2013, 11:48:03 am »
Sorry guys, forgot to say, I have only ever DROVE in Europe, never on the bike  :o .
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2013, 12:36:47 pm »
Staying 10 km away is no problem. The roads around there are excellent.
You don't need one piece leathers. Proper bike gear (textile or leather) is all thats required but check up on the ring website.
As for time of day, depends really. Early in the morning can be quiet. After the germans leave work and all arrive in their souped up ring cars it gets busy. Weekends probably busiest!
 Weather plays a big part, you don't want to be arriving at a blind corner too fast in the wet!!! so best avoided unless it's dry and that includes dewy September mornings.
Most importantly make sure the place is actually open to the public on the day you are visiting.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2013, 01:12:29 pm »
Thanks locksmith. The dates for the second half of the year are not out yet, but we have 9/10 days to play with and can work the trip around the ring. As far as the leathers goes, you are right in what you say, "proper gear" is all that is needed. I was more asking if it's worth wearing the leather suit or not.. Did you? And if so, did you find it ok/too hot/cold/restrictive for the rest of the trip...that kind of thing?

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2013, 02:06:33 pm »
Went to the ring two summers ago, most of the roads in the surrounding area are great so stay where ever suits you.

I rode around in textiles, you don't have to go mad just keep to the right and let the fast boys past.

I was on a bike tour, [size=78%]www.wheeltrax.com[/size] and Chris the owner is a ring expert, common advice is Do Not ride in the wet as the track surface is very slippery when wet. I think its 80 Euros for 4 laps or 25 for one, you also have to pay for any damage to the track and loss of earnings should they have to scrape you up  :eek . You can also do laps of the GP and F1 circuit on some days, as locksmith says check dates and timings nearer the time.

Take it easy and you will have a blast

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2013, 04:04:27 pm »
 Been in my car, on my TRX850 & on my Fireblade. Always stay at Brendan's place,  http://www.slidersguesthouse.com/
Always wear 1 piece leathers (not in car!), not ideal on the ferry but don't own 2 piece suit. Would not entertain anything less personally. Depending on how quick you are around there you may need to check your mirrors regularly for faster cars/bikes you could be holding up. Weather can make or break your trip so don't cry if it rains for your entire stay. September is pushing it if you ask me regards weather but who knows? Wouldn't advise timing yourself either. Up to you but chasing lap times on your first visit doesn't seem like a good idea to me specially if you are in a group. From experience I would not advise lapping with a close friend or friends if you have a history of interesting & competitive bike related stories together!  Track closes often during the day due to accidents. Some are down to people who don't know their own limits, some because of oil/coolant spillages from cars causing bikers to slide off. Worst case & not too frequent but it happens so be aware!
 The place is stunning, scenery amazing at the ring & surrounding areas. If you're lucky with the weather you WILL want to return. Best advice I can think of is to remind yourself constantly whilst lapping that your bike is your only means of getting home & that you are a long way from it! lol
  Look forward to hearing all about your trip.  8)

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2013, 05:04:48 pm »
I drove this about twenty years ago in my Mini Clubman and my advice is to treat it like any road you've not ridden before. Some of the corners are quite technical and lul you into a false sence of security. The place is so vast that you probably won't remember what corner follows on from another. Some of the sections give you a good view from apaex to apex, others are bonkers blind.

Sugest having a look at some in-car or on bike footage. Break it down into sections then join the sections together.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2013, 07:28:15 pm »
I've been to the Nurburgring for the last 5 years in September to watch WSB. Last year it was 25c+ and sunny , the year before Sykes won the race in that mega downpour which lasted from just before the race to just after  :lol
Previous to that it was sunny/partly cloudy and around 16c with dry races, but with maybe a light shower at some point in the ride to/from the circuit. Thats typical Eifel weather at that time of year, it could do anything.
I've been in the Eifel a few other times and ridden around the 'ring once. You get anything from souped up Porches, through to little Suzuki Rascal vans when the local florist fancies a blat, through to tourist buses taking people around. The tarmac was worn out and slippy in places under the trees after a light shower. I just cruised around slowly keeping out of the way just for a look around the track. Miles of twisty blind corners with no runoff.
Accomodation wise there are loads of B&Bs and hotels in the area.
The roads around there are amazing, but loads of police about at weekends.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2013, 08:26:12 pm »
This is all great advice guys, keep it comming. Has anyone an opinion on the leather suit whilst touring? Is it worth it, or is a two piece or textile better?

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2013, 10:33:32 pm »
I've heard that the roads around the area are really good - but the circuit itself sucks - potholes, rough surfaces and dangerous because of the fast car drivers who are
going for it, hoping you get out of the way.
There are also corners hidden behind the rise in the road - i.e you go up and over and all of a sudden you're in the bend, just as you see it, so unless you know
it you wont be able to prepare for it by being in the right road position.

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Nurburgring
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2013, 07:18:36 am »
I've been to that part of Germany a few times now, staying in the Mosel and Rhein, its a must do to go to the ring there was a race on when I was last there but just walking around the car park was amazing bikes cars you name it its a buzz for a petrol junky, my visits  to the the mosel - Rhein area's are usually for a week so we take full advantage of the spectacular rds this place has to offer and you are really missing something if you just go to the ring and don't take in the surrounding rds .

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2013, 07:29:57 am »
We plan to have a good ride around the area cabletie. Coming from the west into Germany from Holland, down the rhein valley to the ring, then onto Rust and a day at Europa park before skipping over the boarder to France and the beautiful Alsace region. From there we head north to Belgique and ending back in Amsterdam. 9 or 10 days all in. I travelled some of those roads a few months ago in the car and seen more than a couple of bikes, wishing I was on mine  :'( . This time I will be  :D .

Am I correct in thinking that if I buy, say, a 9 lap ticket for the ring, I am able to use it over 2/3 days?

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2013, 08:13:00 am »
If the track is as bad as people are saying it might be worth going on a driving simulator to give you an idea of what to expect.

Big advice there from a guy who's never been been on a track day let alone outside Yorkshire his bike  :lol
thou shalt not kick

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2013, 09:22:35 am »
You will get wet in the Eiffel region at some point. I've been a few times now and got soaked every time :lol

As Cabletie said it's a real buzz just visiting the car park! I've visited the ring around 4 or 5 times but done only two laps. Theres usually one or two in the group who want to do a lap and 1 or 2 just happy to be there :)

Everyone should do at least one lap as it is an amazing experience. If you are not a racer, like me, treat it as a fast country road knowing theres nothing coming the other way and no speed cameras. Just keep a wee eye in your mirrors for (much) faster traffic and keep to the right to allow it to pass. But when lining up for a bend it's your road so concentrate and feck everyone else.

Me, I always wear 2 piece gear, leathers or textiles depending on general long range forecasts!

Tibbs

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Nurburgring
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2013, 02:55:21 pm »
I did a few laps over a weekend in my Octavia vRS. A lot of fun, but a couple of things.

You get a smart card now that you load laps onto. You can use them whenever. We bought 4 laps and used them over the course of the weekend from Friday to Sunday.

Even in October the weekends are extremely busy. I felt ok in a car, but on a bike I'd have felt a bit exposed. I'd go on a bike, but during the week.

We stayed at the centreparcs (or equaivent) a few miles away. Close to the lidl for cheap beer and great value for money. The road to and from was just as good as the circuit.

You must go to the pistenklaus for steak on a hot stone. Good food and great memorabilia.

I had someone in the back who knew the circuit well which really helped. You can't really do that on a bike, so from talking to people there they but a racing game with the circuit on and learn it that way. Be aware that you won't get an idea of the hills or the road surface though.

Don't be an hero unless you're loaded. You won't be covered by your insurance while you're on there and it can get VERY expensive if you crash.

When were there the circuit was booked out on the Saturday and we got to see loads of exotic sports cars going round, which was a great break in the track action.

Oh and this is my 2nd lap. It was a LOT of fun...

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2013, 05:38:02 pm »
This is all great advice guys, keep it comming. Has anyone an opinion on the leather suit whilst touring? Is it worth it, or is a two piece or textile better?

I've used leather suits for most of my touring. Mainly the 2 piece, but I have used my 1 piece race leathers as it has perforated front panels and I was going to Spain where it was hot. I also wore it to Mugello, where it pissed it down, but was hot through France. 2 piece is far better for touring as you can take the jacket of easily if you stop. 1 piece race leathers are tighter fit, or should be anyway. Generally you dont have to worry about putting a thermal lining under them.
Sept 2011 I bought a textile suit as I was getting fed up of putting waterproofs on and taking them off every hour on a showery day. They score higher for that and are also slightly warmer. But I wouldnt want to have a faster crash in them, they dont feel so protective.
Actually last year went I went to the Nurburgring just to watch WSB, not to ride the track I took the 2 piece lethers as the forecast looked so good for the weekend and following week.  Needless to say after Monday I had one wet day, and another couple of chilly days.

If I was going to do some fast track riding I'd take the 1 piece leathers, just in case.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2013, 07:42:42 pm »
Have a break one afternoon and check out the cafe/bar at Adenau. Good view of the track from the bank, nutters binning it on a wicked bend/transition, good food and,,,,,,      beer of course!

(leave the bike somewhere and get a taxi)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2013, 10:29:17 pm »
Tibbs - nice wee film, and the narrative helps a fair bit too  :) . That steak house sounds good, will give it a bash as we are staying in the area for at least 2 nights.

Phil - Thanks for the input mate. I have all options available to me in the garage. A brand new set of one piece leathers waiting for the sun (in Glasgow, aye right!  :lol ). 2 piece options galore, and a variety of textile stuff, as well as kevlar jeans and cafe racer type leather jackets. I just don't want to choose the wrong stuff and spoil the trip. I went to Berlin a few years ago in July. Third or fourth visit, although first in the summer. I took Jeans, Timberland boots,  Jumpers and a rain jacket. It was 42 degrees for 2 days, and 40 the rest  :o . My Fiancee was pissing herself laughing the whole time, with her little summer dresses on.

Jfz - another joint to check out, sounds like a potential lunch spot.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #18 on: 24 January 2013, 10:30:46 pm »
Sorry, that should be JZS

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 January 2013, 07:12:19 pm »

1st photo is the entrance/exit 1/2 way around the circuit on the outskirts of Adenau, just off the main road through town.   2nd and 3rd are at the Adenau entrance, other side of the main road up the bank where there is a grassy viewing area. Its quite steep although the photo doesnt show it, over the bridge over the main road, then a blind left hander (the entrance/exit is at the end of the armco painted orange) then up a steep hill.

Its a good place to watch people come down the hill, get out of shape with squeeling tyres, then just make the corner. I was passing the area last year and called in and there was a classic car day on.

4th is the main entrance, with all the boys in their toys queueng up to have another lap.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 January 2013, 07:51:36 pm »
Foc, the dreaded starting gate!

Anyone who's been in front of it and doesn't get the collywobbles,,,,,

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #21 on: 25 January 2013, 08:29:28 pm »
Lol yes mate but they soon leave you once through the cones & you're caning it up the hill on your rear wheel past Porsches!  :evil

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 January 2013, 11:15:12 pm »
That's where me and Meldrum jumped the fence & had a walk up the track  8) got some souveniers, every corner has enormous strips of melted rubber stuck all over the place, peeled a couple off. Found them in my jacket pocket not so long ago.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 January 2013, 09:43:08 am »
Foc, the dreaded starting gate!

Anyone who's been in front of it and doesn't get the collywobbles,,,,,
Yeh, great innit !

Lol yes mate but they soon leave you once through the cones & you're caning it up the hill on your rear wheel past Porsches!  :evil
But as you brake for the first bend they all come past you :lol

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #24 on: 26 January 2013, 11:18:24 am »
Lol I could normally hold them off until at least the 2nd bend on the TRX.  Last few laps on my trust old Fireblade not a single car or bike passed me!  :eek