Date: 19-03-24  Time: 07:05 am

Author Topic: Stale fuel  (Read 1957 times)

2old2boogie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Stale fuel
« on: 18 January 2013, 02:53:24 pm »

I have an old tank (from a Diversion) that is full of petrol that has been in there for most of the year. It will I know, be trouble if I stick it in the Fazer. But I'm reluctant to waste it.   Is there an additive on the market that will make it useable?
I live in my own little world. But it's ok, they know me here.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Stale fuel
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2013, 03:02:20 pm »
If you're so convinced its a bit stale, bung it in the fazer tank a bit at a time, as you fill with fresh fuel. No problem.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2013, 03:14:00 pm »
is a tank of petrol worth the possibility of blowing yourself up?
thou shalt not kick

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2013, 03:34:36 pm »
What? If you'd said "worth the risk of transferring rust from the old tank" which is where I thought you were going (or similar) I'd have said fair comment, depending on the state of the old tank, but blowing yourself up? Why would you do that, if you're sensible about how you do the transfer? You might get hit by a bus tomorrow, does that stop you crossing the road? In fact, if you're that risk averse (or incapable/clumsy/incompetent) best you sell your motorcycle right now, they're dangerous you know.  Jeeez....

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2013, 03:56:53 pm »
I'd burn it a couple of litres at a time with fresh fuel, shame to waste it :rolleyes
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2013, 05:25:41 pm »
half a tank topped up with Super Unleaded or a few litres at a time for me. Either way it would be used.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2013, 05:33:36 pm »
My missus filled up our diesel car with petrol once, luckily there was only about 5-10 litres of the oily stuff in there, and 40 litres ofpetrol. My trusty old fazer 600 burnt the lot with no problems. It was just a bit smelly but ran well. You'd be amazed what these machines can put up with!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

2old2boogie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2013, 05:58:18 pm »

Yes that makes sense, dilute it with Super Unleaded. I'll do that. Thanks for the input. :)
I live in my own little world. But it's ok, they know me here.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2013, 08:16:09 pm »
And don't use the last liter or so, as it'll probably have a load of water in it, which will then result in you needing to strip down your fuel system to clean it out!

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Stale fuel
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2013, 11:12:06 pm »
What? If you'd said "worth the risk of transferring rust from the old tank" which is where I thought you were going (or similar) I'd have said fair comment, depending on the state of the old tank, but blowing yourself up? Why would you do that, if you're sensible about how you do the transfer? You might get hit by a bus tomorrow, does that stop you crossing the road? In fact, if you're that risk averse (or incapable/clumsy/incompetent) best you sell your motorcycle right now, they're dangerous you know.  Jeeez....

Maybe blow up was a bit dramatic but i dont know how sensible he is
thou shalt not kick

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2013, 04:04:23 pm »
I wonder how fuel goes "stale" when I sold my trike it was over 6 years since it was last filled up, yes it took a lot of starting, the valve in the carb was stuck so no fuel getting in, flattened a new battery winding it over, but once it got some fuel through is started firing then running and then it was fine, I wonder if it's the engine that gets "stale" i.e. valves not seating maybe rings sticking plugs and points (not many of those about now) dirty, of cause there's the chance of water in the fuel also rust and dirt.
after all oil is 150 million years old?