Date: 18-04-24  Time: 20:42 pm

Author Topic: nightbreakers?  (Read 6717 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
nightbreakers?
« on: 24 December 2012, 04:59:50 pm »
Does anyone out there use Osram Nightbreaker plus bulbs in their FZ1/FZS?

Just asking to see if they're worth buying as I do quite a bit of night riding. These standard headlights are a bit weak :rolleyes
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: nightbreakers?
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2012, 06:25:53 pm »
if you do decide to get them keep an eye on amazon prices, often the cheapest around £10-£12.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2012, 06:34:18 pm »
I always forget yo look on amazon, thanks for reminding me dickturpin ;)

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2012, 06:37:16 pm »
got these for my gen1. they are much better than standard bulbs fo minimum cash outlay..not sure if this particular bulb will fit ur bike but this is what u want to be aiming at for this sort of spend.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FAZER-SPORT-H7-xenon-HID-headlight-bulbs-501-/350645772973?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51a41de2ad
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2012, 11:01:45 am »
I'm going to get some, think we need H4s for the bike as they are dip and main in the same bulb.

I have recently put some in my car - a 2002 Passat, massive difference, well worth the money over winter!

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2012, 12:33:41 pm »
we have 2005 passat lol.same car and bike. bulbs e brilly for silly money.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2012, 12:58:14 pm »
Got a pair of nightbreakers on order for £10.75 off Amazon. Ill let you know how they perform :D

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2012, 01:56:42 pm »
we have 2005 passat lol.same car and bike. bulbs e brilly for silly money.

Ha ha yeah, once i'd emery clothed the shit off the surface of the plastic lenses these made a massive difference in the car. I must admit, I had replaced one of the bulbs with a poundland special when I got caught short in the summer.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2012, 05:53:57 pm »
Hi, I have nightbreaker + in my foxeye 600 and they are a masive improvment on the standard lamps fitted, also fitted led side lamps as well, i now get seen by dosy london drivers  :D
Mark

dazedandconfused

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2013, 10:55:05 pm »
Nightbreaker +90% in my gen1. Bloody brilliant. 
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2013, 01:30:27 am »
Nightbreaker plus for me too in the Gen 1. Definate improvement over standard.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2013, 09:51:14 am »

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2013, 10:25:28 am »
i use the philips 100% brighter but the white not the blue. huge improvement over OE but thats not saying much when you think how old the oe bulbs will be by now :P

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2013, 01:45:21 pm »
I have the philips xtreme bulbs in the car for my high beam. the dipped beam on my car is HID as standard so normal bulbs on high beam were useless. the philips are good. fitted them about 4 years ago now and they are still working great and very bright. They were around the £25 mark or H7 bulbs though..

as for the bike ive got some xenon bulbs made by brookstone (unipart) I found them in TK MAX of all places for £3.99  :lol
http://www.cnfoutdoors.co.uk/brookstone-2-piece-xenon-headlight-bulb-h4
For that price they are really good and cheaper than standard bulbs from halfords etc.

Can take a picture if anyone is interested.
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2013, 04:29:56 pm »
Don't they give a funny coloured light out?
I inherited something similar in a Triumph Daytona, nice orangey-blue light from the front but scary to ride behind!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2013, 11:58:50 pm »
Just tried out the nightbreakers tonight on the way home from work in the fog. All Ican say is, what a result! Wider, more solid beam, and nearly twice the visible distance.

Damn good value for money if you ask me. I can now ride safer at night where I do about 1/3 of my riding  8)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 January 2013, 12:02:25 am »
At last a clear night! Took the bike on the twisties after work, and the lights are amazing. I can actually see all the way round certain bends, and I put another 5mph on my favourite bend in The dark as I could actually see!

I'm putting these as probably my best performance/£ product if your a night rider.

tnfazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 July 2013, 01:37:45 pm »
Considering these, either Osrams or Philips. Just out of curiosity, I noticed on Osram pages that the manufacturer promises a much longer lifetime for regular H4 bulbs vs. Night breaker plus. Anyone noticed an increased need to change bulbs?

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/automotive-lamps/automotive-motorcycles/halogen-headlight-lamps-for-motorcycles/night-racer-plus/index.jsp
80/260 hrs

Regular ones:
http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/automotive-lamps/automotive-motorcycles/halogen-headlight-lamps-for-motorcycles/osram-original-line/index.jsp
250 / 400 hrs

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2013, 10:18:32 pm »
Have Philips H4 both my car and the bike, the brightest version I could get at the time.

Fitted em to the bike in 2004 and to the car in 2005.  I've had one fail in the car so far.  Can't complain.

Worth fitting, brighter and better beam pattern.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 July 2013, 01:02:03 pm »
For very little extra you can go full HIDs. The difference is absolutly stunning.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 July 2013, 08:27:53 pm »
For very little extra you can go full HIDs. The difference is absolutly stunning.

And also illegal and dangerous.

baldy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fj1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 July 2013, 09:31:53 pm »
are the nightbreakers a straight replacement for the standard or do they require a relay?

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 July 2013, 11:20:33 pm »
No relay required as they are standard rating of 55/60w bulbs.

On the HID topic, there is no denying that they are good but as noted they are illegal and dangerous on the road. They do tend to dazzle oncoming traffic in my experience.
Personally I am too lazy to swap back to standard for MOT time.  :lol
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 July 2013, 12:00:37 am »
They do tend to dazzle oncoming traffic in my experience.
Personally I am too lazy to swap back to standard for MOT time.  :lol
That wasn't my experience. I eventually switched to nightbreakers because I was also too lazy to swap for MOT. Got flashed far more often with the nightbreakers than I ever did with HIDs.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 July 2013, 03:10:39 pm »

And also illegal and dangerous.
Bollocks! There is nothing illegal or dangerous about HIDs.

You will not fail an MOT for having HIDS, you will fail for having badly adjusted lights because badly adjusted lights are dangerous.

Fitting HIDS greatly increases the quantity AND the quality of light you are putting out. The makes it much easier for other road users to see you, and much harder for them to ignore you, particularly in daytime and dusk conditions. That alone significantly improves your safety.

The improved quantity and quality of light makes it much easier for you to see in dusk and dark conditions, that significantly improves your safety, and that of other road users such as cyclists and pedestrians. (Dayglo and reflective materials are visible up to three times further away!) 

If you are getting flashed, it is because your headlights are not adjusted correctly. Regardless of whether they are regular, improved, or HID bulbs, if they are not adjusted correctly then they are not pointing in the right direction and that makes it harder for you to see, and for others to see you. 

Fitting HID bulbs has been the single greatest improvement to safety I have ever made to any bike I have ever owned, but you don't have to believe me. Get a cheap and nasty chinese kit and try them for yourself. You could fit them in an hour and if you don't like them, you can completely remove them in half that. I recommend 5000K colour temperature as being sunlight white. 6000K and higher has an increasingly blue tint which apeals to the kiddies in modded cars but doesn't actually help you see better. The best bulbs for the Fazer are H4-3 as this means you keep normal full beam function.