Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:36 pm

Author Topic: Couple of problems  (Read 1652 times)

zebadee86

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Couple of problems
« on: 20 December 2012, 07:08:10 pm »
Hi Guys
I have owned a Fazer for almost a year and I love it.

Over the last couple of days i have noticed very excessive white smoe from the exhaust even when the bike is warm, The smoke smells a bit fuelly...... This has just started suddenly and i kinda woried that it ould be serious  :'(
Second problem has existed since i purchased the bike

The fuel gauge is constantley stuck at full exept for when the fuel light comes on the needle seems to go back to about a quater but then often goes back to full again after a while.

I have no mechanicle mechanical knowledge so I am just after a bit of advice please  :D

Thanks
Dave

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of problems
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2012, 11:03:15 pm »
imo its probably the cold weather is causing the excessive white smoke or maybe your exhaust is collecting rain water. do you have an aftermarket exhaust? or do you leave the bike parked outside most of the time? but it could be a head gasket issue so check your oil and see if its emulsified and also check your coolant for small oily spots.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2012, 11:52:46 pm »
Just a small note, you can get a build up of the mayonnaise mixture on the oil cap this time of year.

When i first got the bike mine seemed to chuck a lot of white 'smoke' out of the exhaust in winter, then when i checked the oil i was horrified to see a creamy mixture on the filler cap, but was reassured that it's quite normal in winter as it's condensation mixing with the oil, especially as i was only doing 5 mile runs on it so the bike just wasn't hitting a good enough temperature to burn it off properly.

I looked in the wing mirror today as well on the way home, and it looked like the bike was on a bonfire, but it's just winter doing it's thing!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2012, 12:02:39 am »
Just a small note, you can get a build up of the mayonnaise mixture on the oil cap this time of year.

When i first got the bike mine seemed to chuck a lot of white 'smoke' out of the exhaust in winter, then when i checked the oil i was horrified to see a creamy mixture on the filler cap, but was reassured that it's quite normal in winter as it's condensation mixing with the oil, especially as i was only doing 5 mile runs on it so the bike just wasn't hitting a good enough temperature to burn it off properly.

I looked in the wing mirror today as well on the way home, and it looked like the bike was on a bonfire, but it's just winter doing it's thing!

a new o ring on the filler cap will stop that. well it did for me

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2012, 08:55:45 am »
Lo and behold, i had a quick look, and sure enough there was a bit of mayo going on!
On a brighter note, i found a perfect replacement 'O' ring at work.  :)

zebadee86

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2012, 09:42:44 pm »
So I took the day off work to get it checked out only to be told it is normal in damp weather  :o  how much of a prat do I feel !!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2012, 08:52:05 am »
You learn something new every day!  :)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2012, 01:59:41 pm »
So I took the day off work to get it checked out only to be told it is normal in damp weather  :o  how much of a prat do I feel !!!

that's good news not bad :lol you're always better off getting things check if you think there's a problem