Date: 18-04-24  Time: 17:47 pm

Author Topic: Braided Brake Lines  (Read 1232 times)

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Braided Brake Lines
« on: 17 December 2012, 06:09:59 pm »
As one of the sites more mechanically inept users I am confused by the 2or 3 front brake line subject when changing to Braided hoses....explanations,sugjestions and best/cheapest place to buy would be greatly appreciated.Also is it worth changing the rear or not?

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
Re: Braided Brake Lines
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2012, 06:21:07 pm »
I have just put 2 piece goodrige lines on from demontweaks, £50 delivered.

The oe setup is 1 line from the master cylinder which splits into 2 lines to the calipers, so thats a 3 lines kit.

The 2 line kit which i have put on, is 2 lines directly from the master cylinder via a double banjo bolt (supplied) to the calipers without the need to be split.

As for bleeding i found it easier to fill the lines back to front, injecting fluid up the line via the caliper bleed screw, so the air was vernted out the top through the open master cylinder.. Worked a treat :)

fazed

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2012, 05:57:10 pm »
I bought the 3 line Hel kit for the front plus a single for the back (to be fitted soon) on the basis that it doesn't materially alter the braking systen as it's just a repacement of existing hoses whereas the 2 line direct system for the front counts as a brake mod and therefore should be notified to my insurer as a modification - I anticipated a rate hike if my insurer was told of a brake mod....... :\

Has anyonr put in the 2 line direct system & had a premium difference on that basis?
This is as young as you're ever going to be!

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2012, 09:02:48 pm »
I bought the 3 line Hel kit for the front plus a single for the back (to be fitted soon) on the basis that it doesn't materially alter the braking systen as it's just a repacement of existing hoses whereas the 2 line direct system for the front counts as a brake mod and therefore should be notified to my insurer as a modification - I anticipated a rate hike if my insurer was told of a brake mod....... :\

Has anyonr put in the 2 line direct system & had a premium difference on that basis?

Personally I'd not worry remotely about that, they're still a replacement for the current system, just a different one - I did ask about braided hoses when I insured with Carole Nash last year and they didn't mind at all. That said they were very good for all my mods on my last bike, the only thing they were bothered about was if any of them increased the power by more than 10%, which nothing did :)