Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:03 pm

Author Topic: Wheel size. Shock. Embarrassment  (Read 968 times)

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Wheel size. Shock. Embarrassment
« on: 03 December 2012, 09:11:32 pm »
Since I ride in London, I'm always checking the back wheel on the Gen 1 for nails and what have you, and today whilst checking I noticed that I'll be needing a new tyre in a couple of weeks time.

Nothing unusual there, but while I was spinning the wheel, I thought I'd check what profile it is. I know it's a 180 width. And lo and behold, there embossed on the tyre was the legend 160/60!

The dealer must have ordered for a 600 Fazer. [size=78%] [/size][size=78%]Front and rear are Bridgestone 023s.[/size]

So, that's the shock. The embarrassment is that I haven't noticed over 5000 miles that it's the wrong tyre. Except, as it's worn down, I have noticed that the usual flop into a corner you get with a flattened off centre hasn't happened, and it definitely leans over more on the side stand than it does normally. And now I come to think of it, it's felt very agile and chuckable of recent. Hmm. Maybe I have noticed ...

But as far as grip and stability go, er, it's been business as usual. Not that we've had much chance of proper riding this year, what with the weather of course, but there have been one or two days where I've been proper thrashing it. And that v10 M5 was despatched with ease round my favourite corner ..

Anyone else had used a 160/60 on the thou, or noticed any big changes to feel with different widths/profiles etc?

alan09

• Brainless Foccer
    Foccin' Grumpy
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel size. Shock. Embarrassment
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2012, 11:49:50 pm »
just out of curiosity could you put a 190 on a fazer thou, would there be any noticeable handling differences.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel size. Shock. Embarrassment
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2012, 12:04:11 am »
The FZ1 Fazer has a 190/50 rear tyre compared to the 180/55 of the Gen1.
For some reason my local dealer fitted the 180/55 on my Gen 2 and I immediately noticed it was a little twitchy. I put it down to new tyres but 2k miles later I noticed the size difference........not as bad as the 160 though  :eek