Date: 16-04-24  Time: 06:12 am

Author Topic: Depreciation  (Read 2013 times)

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Depreciation
« on: 27 November 2012, 12:34:19 pm »
I was and thats a big WAS toying with the idea of getting an adventure bike until I started looking to see what my bike is worth.I couldn't believe how much it has depreciated in less than a year! In march this year I bought my brand new FZ1-N which was listed in the showroom at £9999.00 The dealer came down to £9000 and we settled on a deal in which I part ex'd my 600 Fazer. If I wanted to sell the FZ1 privately according to Parkers Guide, I'm looking at £6300! And a dealer wasnt prepared to go much over £5,000! Thats an insult. Admittedly that was an 'over the phone book price' but even so, Ive only done 3300 miles and she's mint! Ive Just seen brand new FZ1-N's on ebay from Yamaha dealers at £7495. Gutted, I think I'll be hanging on to it for a good few years now. :)

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Depreciation
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2012, 12:58:45 pm »
The rule of thumb is anything you buy new will  loose 1/3rd of its value as soon as you sign on the dotted line. Keep it for three years (in decent nick) and you will sell/trade for 5 or 6k pretty much regardless of the milage. That means it is costing you about a ton a month to ride a cracker of a bike. Not much more then your phone bill if you think about it. So get out there and ride it! The more time you spend in the saddle, the less you spend on the phone, so riding your bike could save you money! :rollin

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2012, 06:00:07 pm »
Isn't it funny that the bike you are selling will always have a bigger depreciation issue than the one you want to buy.  Or at least it seems that way.  I used to change my bikes every three years or so but have had my Gen 1 Fazer for around six years.  It's a 2005 bike that was nine months old when I got it.  I paid £5,500 for it and I guess that in a private sale it's now woth around £3,500.  Two grand in six years is more than acceptable to me.  At the moment I am looking for a BMW1200RT to add to my garage and the depreciation on those seems very slow.  A two-year old in dealers is only around £1500 less than a new one. 

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2012, 06:43:53 pm »
I was and thats a big WAS toying with the idea of getting an adventure bike until I started looking to see what my bike is worth.I couldn't believe how much it has depreciated in less than a year! In march this year I bought my brand new FZ1-N which was listed in the showroom at £9999.00 The dealer came down to £9000 and we settled on a deal in which I part ex'd my 600 Fazer. If I wanted to sell the FZ1 privately according to Parkers Guide, I'm looking at £6300! And a dealer wasnt prepared to go much over £5,000! Thats an insult. Admittedly that was an 'over the phone book price' but even so, Ive only done 3300 miles and she's mint! Ive Just seen brand new FZ1-N's on ebay from Yamaha dealers at £7495. Gutted, I think I'll be hanging on to it for a good few years now. :)

If you were buying a FZ1-N now. New, brand new is say 9000. How much would you want to pay for a second hand one? If it was say 8000, would you not rather add another 1000 to get it in 100% new mint condition? You don't know how 2nd hand one has been ridden and maintained. For less than 2000 discount I would never consider getting 2nd hand, instead of brand new. So 6000 seems nice and fair for a 2nd hand bike.

Those who worry about depreciation never buy new bikes/cars. You buy 3 year old vehicles, sell them after 1 or 2 years.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2012, 06:44:30 pm by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

phild

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2012, 08:19:01 pm »
Isn't it funny that the bike you are selling will always have a bigger depreciation issue than the one you want to buy.  Or at least it seems that way.  I used to change my bikes every three years or so but have had my Gen 1 Fazer for around six years.  It's a 2005 bike that was nine months old when I got it.  I paid £5,500 for it and I guess that in a private sale it's now woth around £3,500.  Two grand in six years is more than acceptable to me.  At the moment I am looking for a BMW1200RT to add to my garage and the depreciation on those seems very slow.  A two-year old in dealers is only around £1500 less than a new one.
I'm trying to change my Gen 1. My 2005 is in great condition and dealers are only offering £2250 ( that was against a new BMW or Honda!! ), and that's with all my luggage, colour match hugger/belly pan etc. Private you may get £2500 to £2750 if you're lucky, but as time goes by the price drops. I've been to 8 dealerships now and they all give more or less the same offer.  ;)

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2012, 06:47:37 am »
I'm trying to change my Gen 1. My 2005 is in great condition and dealers are only offering £2250 ( that was against a new BMW or Honda!! ), and that's with all my luggage, colour match hugger/belly pan etc. Private you may get £2500 to £2750 if you're lucky, but as time goes by the price drops. I've been to 8 dealerships now and they all give more or less the same offer.  ;)
In the summer my local yam dealer offered me £3000 for my 05 gen 1 and that was with no p/x, so your dealer having a laugh on your 05. I still turned my dealer down though  :)  he did say he would put it up in the showroom for £4000 and confident he would get that for it. I could'nt live with that. I bought the gen 1 new prereg'd from him for £5500 all them years ago

phild

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2012, 09:41:24 am »
Had mine since new, paid £5500 for it, taken me all over Europe. Just looking for a change now before I finish my riding days.  ;)

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2012, 11:19:00 am »
This might be of interest to you

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,5308.0.html
thou shalt not kick

phild

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2012, 12:21:40 pm »
Thanks, but already turned down the offer.  ;)