Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:42 pm

Author Topic: Bridgestone BT021 front tyres issue  (Read 4664 times)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Bridgestone BT021 front tyres issue
« on: 23 June 2017, 06:28:31 pm »
I know people on here have mentioned before about issues with the 021 front but what are the issues?
Been ringing around for tyres prices and mentioned that I had 021 to my local guy and he said it is a known problem but did not go into detail.
As I mentioned in my other post about Avon storm 3D Xm my  Fzs has front end problems and 021 with strange wear.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgestone BT021 front tyres issue
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2017, 06:37:19 pm »
Have used 021's on my Speed Triple since I stopped buying sportier rubber for it and still do despite being superceded by 023's and T30's.Never had an issue and would have thought my local tyre guy would have advised an alternative whenever I've had them fitted  if there's a known problem.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2017, 06:47:14 pm »
The only front tyre that I know of having a problem was the old Avon Storm 2s where the shoulders wore out too quickly. The new 3D-XMs don't have that problem.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2017, 07:08:46 pm »
BT021s are notorious for feathering badly and wearing to a weird triangular profile on the fronts. I personally found them to be a poor tyre, not very good grip, especially when compared to more recent rubber. Which, btw, is another thing. Are they still making 021s? If not, shelf lives might be getting a bit long in the tooth by now...

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2017, 08:36:17 pm »
BT021's are still available.I bought a rear in February, they seem to be quite heavily discounted now, about £140 a pair.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2017, 08:38:26 pm »
BT021's are still available.I bought a rear in February, they seem to be quite heavily discounted now, about £140 a pair.

Being available is not the same as still being manufactured.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2017, 08:15:25 am »

Being available is not the same as still being manufactured.

I take your point.Maybe that's why they seem to be discounted in most tyre places now.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2017, 01:56:31 pm »
Having had a few bikes and many different tyres over the years, when the rear squares off and the front wears the handling goes off, so am I answering my own question?
Having bought  the fzs I thought I could improve the handling by spending money on new front springs and a R6 shock, but may be I should  have saved money and just bought better tyres and changed them more regularly .
Feel like I have lost direction and may be go back to standard, may be chasing the impossible, it is what it is.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2017, 02:40:08 pm »
Tyres are obviously a very important part of the handling equation. If they're worn from the original profile, then they will degrade handling, whether it be due to bad feathering, squaring off due to many motorway miles or whatever. No amount of expense on suspension mods will really compensate for this, but good suspension and good tyres combined will always be the best way forward. Might I suggest Michelin Pilot Road 2s as a reasonably priced solution? An excellent tyre from the performance point of view, superseded now by the 3 and 4 of that series, they can be picked up for a good price, although again, might be worth checking shelf life now.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2017, 02:46:50 pm »
When looking at shelf life what is acceptable?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2017, 02:55:06 pm »
As far as I can make out from a quick look around, up to about 5 or 6 years old is acceptable, but depends on how they have been stored. There should be a code on the tyre sidewall which gives the date of manufacture. You may find unused tyres older than this which look to be in perfect condition, but then it has to be your choice as to whether there is any added risk to accept. Have a Google around on "motorcycle tyre shelf life."

5LV

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2017, 08:17:39 pm »
i had bt21's on a previous bike
absolutely fubar in 2k miles on the front in winter with the weird edge wear.
well worth avoiding at any price

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2017, 11:47:19 am »
I bought a BMW K1200S that the dealer fitted with a new pair of BT021's but the tyres were actually two years old. I'm not sure if it was the age of the tyres or the bike but when riding progressively the front would on occasions slide as much as 2 - 3 inches going into a bend. Never found out which it was as I changed the bike and went with BT016's on the next bike and they were excellent. Currently using the Bridgestone T30's on my Fazer and they've never once given me a anything but confidence. :)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 July 2017, 10:52:35 am »
Had a ride out on Sunday and had a unhappy time of it, not sure if it is now a mental thing but the front just felt at low speed really  bad, just feels  weird.
On good  surface  roads the front feels ok even in the twisters but most of the roads in my area are very poor and the front is moving about and I don't feel in control.
I think it is time to change  the tyres and will be getting  either  pilot road 03 or Metz 01.
Still not sure about my bike setup, the Hyperpro front springs and R6 shock does not seem to be working for me either, but first the tyre change and may be it will get me back to enjoying my riding of what was once a great bike.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 July 2017, 11:31:59 am »
Hi Ricky , having similar to you but I'm on Z8 metzelers with hagon progressives and R6 shock.
The z8's were new on it when I got the bike last sept and I've not been impressed with them although others seem to rate them highly and it's got worse after doing the shock and springs to where it's like a soft or hard pogo stick at the front depending on the setting ( tried most of them ) with the feeling I'm going to tuck the front every slow corner , I'm now going to start going back a mod at a time to see if it improves any ( although I've got a nagging feeling the garage fitted the springs, oil or gap incorrectly ) oddly though on my 600 ive always had Bridgestones except once I put PR2's which I hated and gave ( to me ) no confidence but just changed to 023 Bridgestone and it's like night and day and has transformed the bike ( to me ) and have got the chicken strips down to about 2mm
Returning to the 1000 I spoke to MCT a while back about suspension and when I said I had the R6 shock and hagon progressives they asked why I did that and recommended linear front springs and standard shock (refurbished) on the rear but at that time I had a lot of expense coming up and the springs and set up without the shock refurb was around £450 so I declined and decided to start putting back to standard and work from there.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 July 2017, 05:22:15 pm »
Hi Graham my problems seem to have started since fitting the R6 shock,had the Hyperpro springs fitted by a mechanic who I hope did it right but who knows? The bike to me felt  better standard and I wish I just left it all alone.
To be fair BT 021 are known to give front issues when worn so I am hoping that a change of tyre will do the trick.
Luke as offered advice  and been very helpful but so far the front issues are making this bike not any fun to ride and at times with the front shaking on hard acceleration  and feeling very nervous crossing white lines dangerous,but it is the feel  at low speed that is the biggest problem.
As I said before I wonder how much is now a mental thing?
I will change the tyres and talk to Luke and go from there, but may be for me it is back to standard with a few very  small tweaks.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2017, 03:52:50 pm »
When they were good, 021's were very good. But when they went off, they did so quickly and they could become quite unpleasant.

But who cares? They are now three generations out of date. You wont get the same mileage, grip or handling that any modern ST tyre will give so your final cost per mile, even at discounted rates, will not be much better. Even at £140 a set, 021's will give 5000 reasonable miles at 2.8 pence per mile. £240 will get you T30 evo's which are good for 8500 miles or more with better grip so costing you 2.83 pence a mile.     

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2017, 08:24:21 pm »
When they were good, 021's were very good. But when they went off, they did so quickly and they could become quite unpleasant.

But who cares? They are now three generations out of date. You wont get the same mileage, grip or handling that any modern ST tyre will give so your final cost per mile, even at discounted rates, will not be much better. Even at £140 a set, 021's will give 5000 reasonable miles at 2.8 pence per mile. £240 will get you T30 evo's which are good for 8500 miles or more with better grip so costing you 2.83 pence a mile.   

I will just wade in on the T30s and say that I've had them on my bike for only 3500 and and the rear is down to 1.6mm and the front has started squaring off so I would imagine it greatly depends on your riding style and use

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 July 2017, 08:55:02 pm »
I'm far from a suspension expert Ricky and I don't know your riding style or what your build is but if you're having problems under hard acceleration and white lines it would suggest either your running the front tyre at too high a pressure or the springs are too stiff. The other possibility is your rear spring is too soft and you're getting too much weight transfer to the rear, do you know what rate spring is on the back?

My personal experience on a different bike, BMW K1200S, of the BT021 wasn't great but it was only when pushing hard into corners on a long heavy bike.

I didn't really notice an issue with the stock rear shock until the dry weather came, having bought my bike in February, and it started to get a little loose on more progressive rides. I changed the rear shock for a BMW S1000RR shock utilizing the stock BMW spring (I have an Ohlins spring to try but so far I haven't needed it) but so far I've kept the front end stock as I prefer to have a little front end weight bias. :)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 July 2017, 09:59:38 pm »
Hi the front tyre pressure is 36psi,I am very careful with tyre pressure, if the front gets low it handles like a boat.
Front springs are Hyperpro progressive and using there settings bike was dangerous with Luke's R6 shock and his settings. Spoke to Luke and went back to standard front settings and is better but still nervous.
Luke is willing to help but will change the tyres first and go from there.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 July 2017, 01:01:25 pm »
Tyres now changed to Metzler Roadtec 01, hope this will be the start of getting my bike back,not had chance to use the bike yet as it started to rain on the way home from having them fitted,  new tyres and rain so went straight home lol.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 August 2017, 12:18:43 pm »
Hi, I have now managed to get a few miles on the new Metzler Roadtec 01 and Mike made a few adjustments the the front and rear suspension.
The bike is much much better the handling is giving me confidence again. It feels very neutral in the corners.
On the very crap road surfaces around me the ride feels a bit firm but the bike rides the pumps very well, so Mike's  tweaks do seem to be working.
When heavy breaking the front feels a bit nervous but will have to try it more to get a better idea.
Not had chance to give it full power through the gears to see if it is still shaking its head but so far it does feel better crossing white lines and when I accelerate hard.
Hope this saga of lack of confidence of the bike is over.