Date: 18-04-24  Time: 23:56 pm

Author Topic: handlebars / risers  (Read 1160 times)

chrisandrew01

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - kawasaki er5 2002
    • View Profile
handlebars / risers
« on: 15 November 2012, 11:40:16 am »
hi all

Hd my fazer 2002  for a few months now and trying to get comfortable on it- as have aknackered back.

I've fitted 30mm bar risers, however havnt had enough effect. trying to bring the bars closer towards me and keeping the height. The idea to keep any weight off wrists and my bck as straight as possible.

Can o recommend any other solutions ie swopping he hndlebars? hs anyone else tried to achieve the same withsuccess.?

Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
Re: handlebars / risers
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2012, 12:31:48 pm »
I get a sore back whilst riding my mountain bike ,and on longer trips on my Fazers.

I find yoga excersises very good, especially a series of excercises called "sun postures"
last year my back had flared up to the point where I was taking pain killlers before every ride. but just keeping at the mountain bike and yoga ,the pain in my back has settled down to be almost forgettable. If the pain is arthritic in origin , I think you will find it varies on a month to month basis

chrisandrew01

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - kawasaki er5 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2012, 01:09:39 pm »
thanx for suggestion. these are all avenues already explored for me. only 29 and it transpired after a bad fall in motox accident when was 11 have lumbar scolosis. so  ive learnt to live with the ache. like you  ive been members of tri clubs and cycling clubs, so its never stopped me doing things, but just adapt my pushbike to give me more comfort. more recently torn a deep muscle in my back and having to do over 20k miles a year on my bike need it to fit me better.

Is there different types of renthal bars? ones that come further in? was consiering fitting the 50mm risers but think ll see a lot more difference than what ilready have.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2012, 11:42:09 am »
Taller risers are the obvious (and prob'ly cheapest) solution but you may find that if you go any higher the control cables may not be long enough anymore.
Renthal do a huge range of bars & they can make a substantial difference.

Although not the answer you're hoping for, personally I think you'd be better with a bike more upright to start with, such as the highly enjoyable TDM 850 - with higher risers it'd be bolt upright if that's what you need. Or even a big trailie such as a Super Tenere or Africa Twin.