Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:45 am

Author Topic: New to Forum - Hi chaps and chapesses !  (Read 2789 times)

DeanMeister

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
New to Forum - Hi chaps and chapesses !
« on: 07 November 2012, 02:00:00 pm »
Hi people,

Bought a gen 1 FZS1000 last year, 2002 reg, 6,500 miles on clock, nearly showroom condition. Couple of grand, snapped his hands off  :D  Not had a bike for a few years (prev Sprint ST955, VFR750 etc) so I'm still getting gently back into it. My Rosie's an absolute peach, rode her 1650 miles to southern alps and back in september, just me, the bike and a tent, and had an absolute ball.

She's totally standard, so a couple of mods will be on the horizon (a slightly rortier pipe being the priority!)

Nice to join the club  :)

Pete
"I'll only be gone an hour or so, dear... " :)

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
Re: New to Forum - Hi chaps and chapesses !
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2012, 02:11:34 pm »
welcome nice looking bike unfortunatley a thou but i will forgive you :b
if it aint broke, try harder!

DeanMeister

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2012, 02:52:01 pm »
Pont de St. Nazaire, September 2011  :)

DeanMeister

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2012, 02:53:44 pm »
My Rosie  :)

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2012, 04:27:41 pm »
Looks great!

Welcome to the forum

phillywilly

• DAS Born Again
  • give em a short ,sharp shock,they wont do it again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2012, 06:53:11 pm »
how i envy you ,.....doing that journey on your own ,with just a great bike and tent - heaven
oh welcome along by the way
shine on you crazy diamond

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2012, 08:02:54 pm »
Welcome! I have an almost identical bike-except I paid more & its done 24000 miles. Yours is scarcely run in! Beaut of a bike & great backdrop to the photos :rollin :rollin :rollin Thats me green with envy!  Oh forgot to mention the extras on mine fitted @ previous owners cost including nice end can,double bubble screen,braided b rake lines, hugger,bellypan etc. You cant beat a good "old school" FZS 1000! :lol

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2012, 06:35:48 am »
Hello, very nice bike Mr  8)

Trips on your own are special,exploring is much more fun and the locals are friendlier to to you.

Welcome.

Billy.
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

DeanMeister

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2012, 09:08:43 am »
Thanks for the nice comments, guys! Yep, the trip was pretty special, it was the realisation of a lifelong ambition to ride to the South of France. Quite glad I did it on my own, although there were some moments when you're having a fag on the top of a mountain pass during a great day's riding and you think "I wish someone else was here to share the moment with!" I'll try to find a way to post a map of the trip on here at some point.

Highlights for me were riding across the Ardeche National Park on the way there, and the Cevennes and d'Auvergne National Parks on the way back (that was a mammoth six hour 350 mile ride along some of the best roads I've ever experienced! It was also 32 degrees, and there was hardly any traffic  8) )

Campsites were good, weather was great, the bike didn't miss a beat, and the beer at the end of each day was cold. What can I say? Didn't get nicked either  :D   Already planning the next one... got the bug now. Have persuaded the Mrs the first week in September each year is MINE! WEHEY!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2012, 10:24:35 am »
Sounds ideal!!!   :)

DeeDub

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda F6C
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2012, 08:55:09 am »
The bike looks great, what a steal for £2k.
I brought my Fazer 600 back from Southern France (where I kept it for 4 years) in April, I rode the "Route du Grande Alpes" which is well worth consideration for one of your future trips. Stunning roads, stunning scenery, loads of friendly bikers, car free roads and......minimal plod  :)

Did you have your route planned and your campsites booked, or did you take pot luck and stay in places that took your fancy?

Oh, and welcome from another new boy

DeanMeister

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2012, 10:59:53 am »
Cheers for that, DeeDub. Was planning something along those lines next time. I have to take in Sisteron (mum lives there) and that's not so far from that route.

Yeah, I did loosely plan the route (streetview is great for having a look to see what sort of roads you're contemplating) and had a fair idea of the area I was likely to be get to each day. I printed off details of the municipal campsites in that rough area, so I had alternatives to hand. The Muncipal campsites were great - Euro 5.90 per night (£4!) and were fine (though I generally saved some of my ablutions for a decent service station!) The only commercial site I stayed on was on Isle de Re off La Rochelle, and that was Euro 18.00 - quite a difference when your beer money is on a budget.

DeeDub

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda F6C
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 November 2012, 08:07:55 am »
Hi DeinMeister
Your trip sounds like quite an adventure, I stopped for lunch in Sisteron when I rode the route Napoleon a few years ago, nice place.
I'll check out some of the municipal campsites, thanks for the tip. I also visited Ile de Re, loved that bridge that takes you onto the island, it seems to keep on climbing, the island and La Rochelle were great places, happy memories of that particular trip too.

The only good thing about winter is planning a great trip for next spring and summer  :)

spoonlamp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2012, 02:27:11 pm »
Welcome!

Great bike and sounds like a great trip. This is just the sort of thing I hope to do some day and one of the reasons I got an old Fazer, ticked all the boxes for a short bit nimble trek   :)

One day...

DeanMeister

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 November 2012, 02:55:10 pm »
Never too late mate. Doesn't cost much. Easy for you - met a bunch of bikers from Plymouth in Brittany. Take the Roscoff boat and disappear for a few days. La Rochelle is only 4 hours down the coast. :)

spoonlamp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 November 2012, 03:05:09 pm »
I know! The Brittany Ferries terminal is on the other side of the wall to my work!  ;)  I keep imagining how much trouble I'd be in if I "accidentally got on a ferry by mistake" one morning!   :rollin