nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Tyres
« on: 11 October 2011, 10:41:27 pm »
I'm looking for a new set of rubber for my full monty fazer. I have had a set of diablo corsa's and thought they were really good, but the rear wore out pretty quickly, so i bought a standard diablo rear. I don't rate it as its not as grippy. Has anyone tried the corsa 3 or diablo rosso corsa ? I like the write ups for the diablo rosso, but is it too extreme for the fazer. ie... its more suited to light hypersports bikes and wouldn't work on a 200 kg + fazer
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2011, 12:32:24 am »
Running BT023's front and back right now, up till then my fave tyre on the gen 1 was PR2's
Avoid mez 4's lol but pretty much most rubber will keep you upright from then on. then its all personal pref realy.

The Avon storm2's i had were very good to start but wore out at an incredible rate, with the front going much quicker than the rear.
so i wouldnt use those again.

this time it was a toss up between the PR3's or the 023's and i went 023's as i got a better deal
So far i think its the best rubber i have had on the gen 1. only at just over 3k so far but still hardly worn (last half allways seems to go much faster though) i normaly get 4-4.5k from a rear tyre (apart from the avon storms that were ilegal at under 3k)
the 023's so far havent let me down once, have given good feel wet or dry and seem to be lasting well.
next set will either be 023's or i might try the PR3's just because the PR2's were good.
depends whats around when i renew.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2011, 06:30:14 am »
I cant fault the 023s.I have ridden 10k miles on them in the last year on 2 quite diffrent motorcycles.... I have not found a better tyre to date. In terms of grip and mileage they are a fantastic combo to what has come before. I tested mine in hundreds of miles of cold wet foggy alpine passes in july without issue, and at the other extreme I did a trackday at cadwell on 30 sept where the  dry grip was outstanding. I have never leant a bike so far or so hard in all my years of riding.The side compound is almost like a racetec. Yet I still can get up to 5000 miles from a rear .
I also like roadsmarts , and there is  a new roadsmart2 about to come out.
PR3 so far have had some raves from the press about wet weather grip, though dry grip supposed to be suspect ( you cant have everything can you ! ) but little  opinion on forums( that I have seen) ....save the topic where the tyre chunked up in extreme heat...like a racing wet might do !
Its my opinion, but its from proper real road miles, not pub bragging...

l

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2011, 07:49:18 am »
IMO the PR2's are the best tyres ever!  :lol

I use them on my K5 1000 and have had over 3200 miles out of the rear with a ride left in them as well. That's incredible for a full on litre bike which gets properly caned!  :)

Had them on the Fazer too for a the last few sets before she got sold and couldn't fault them.

Bit pricy though.  :eek

I have just opened my own bike shop (round of applause....!) and we are currently doing a promotion on Metzeler Rennsports at just £150 a pair including fitting to the bike. Shop is around 30 minutes from Cardiff and just 10 minutes from the Brecon Beacons so maybe worth a run down for a pair followed by a great ride out to scrub them in....  :thumbup

Not sure what they will be like on the Fazer but they are usually a great fast road tyre and for that price, you can't really go wrong!  :D

Sorry for the blatant plug.  ;) 
« Last Edit: 12 October 2011, 08:53:42 am by The Male Whale »
On the Gas! :stop

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2011, 04:45:35 pm »
I was a firm supporter of Avon Storms but after dropping the forks through the yokes I got pretty bad wear on the front, similar to but not as bad as ghostbiker, shame becuase up 'till then I couldn't fault them. I now have a BT023 on the front and am pretty pleased with it, I'll deffinately be putting a rear 023 on when the current Storm wears down. So my vote goes with the 023s.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2011, 08:55:21 pm »
Storms working well for me. 7k on the front since I've had the bike. Don't know how long it was on before that but not looking like they need replacement anytime soon
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

scousy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2011, 09:01:43 pm »
Dunlop Roadsmarts for me and on my XJR

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2011, 11:34:21 pm »
To be honest i'm trying to find someone who has tried the diablo corsa 3's or diablo rosso corsa's on their fazer. I really want the stickiest rubber for mileage i can get. I like the profile of the diablo corsa's, so i don't want to change make in case i don't like them. The tyres are for my full monty fazer, which is used purely for sunny weekends hard riding. I really wanted to know if either pirellis were much better than the original corsa's. My other fazer is running maxxis tyres! :rollin I use it for work, so its not getting driven hard. (to be honest the maxxis tyres are ok).
Thanks for all the help, Nick.
 Ps.. do you guys have shares with bridgestone.. :D
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2011, 07:10:25 am »
I've never been let down by modern sports touring rubber even on my old ZX12R which I ran on Storms and I'm not a particularly slow rider. The only reason I'd want to fit sports tyres is if I was planning on doing a track day, otherwise to me it would be a waste of money.
If it helps Bike magazine awards the Rosso Corsa with 4 stars (same as 023s) and says "Grippy road & track tyre that impressed is in 2010, even in wet conditions".  They havn't tested the Rosso IIs but say "Replaces the dissapointing Diablo Rosso for 2011. Pirelli say dry grip is good with resonable wet performance and mileage. Test soon"

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2011, 03:31:56 pm »
Not sure this helps but 750 dorsoduro did 3000 on a rear and 6000 on a front corsa 3
Its just a ride

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 October 2011, 06:46:39 am »
Nickodemon

I run Diablo's on my fazer, have done for 6 years onwership . Have run corsa 2 on front and rear and got . 3142 miles out the rear . front had plenty left .

bought a new pair of corsa 3 . fitted the rear and that lasted 2573 miles . the corsa 2 front i got 7010 miles and it still had a good 2mm left on it !

i now run a corsa 3 front and standard diablo rear this has done 1350 miles and is'nt showing any wear yet .

I like the idea of softest on the front and hardest of the diablo's on the rear . When i get chance to ride that is ! Mostly 2 up , with occassional blasts solo .

i cant say i've noticed lack of grip at the rear from the harder tyre . My bike is also full montied and i run a 46 tooth rear for more acceleration .

I buy my tyres from universal tyres online in pairs as they are cheaper than singles and know busters were doing a pair for less than £130 earlier this year .

all in all a great tyre for me

hope this helps:)

paul1606

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 October 2011, 10:21:13 am »
Had the metzs 4s on the bike when i bought it (enough said about them) got avon storm 2,s on now very surefooted through some slippy scottish mountain roads on my last jolly in september & Havent given me any hairy moments in the dry as yet, but if i get one i feel it will be down to shite riding on my behalf ;) .Done 2500 miles on them so far wear rate seems ok