Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:11 pm

Author Topic: chain adjustment interval  (Read 8063 times)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
chain adjustment interval
« on: 10 October 2011, 10:22:29 pm »
what mileage do  other owners get between chain adjustments , i am averaging about  1900 miles , does this sound about right .

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
Re: chain adjustment interval
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2011, 11:09:39 pm »
Hello and welcome.

I check mine every wash or tyre change - whichever comes first, and it doesn't always need adjustment. Usually it's tyre change  :eek :rollin :rolleyes - but I do check the scottoiler regularly.

1900 miles sounds like a lot of adjustments for an average, but I guess it depends on how you ride, quality of chain and how you look after it.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2011, 09:31:50 am »
I have a scottoiler and never seem to have to adjust the chain other than when forced via a tyre change or wheel off post winter deep clean.
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2011, 10:19:14 am »

i don't find my fazer easy to set chain tension on. with the axle and torque arm bolts loose i set the adjusters and get it just so but when i tighten either the axle or torque arm bolts it moves. i've tried gradually nipping with no luck, so i usually adjust it a bit loose and then tighten the bolts and it tightens up a little, but this is a bit trial and error until i'm happy with it.

also the yamaha manual stated 45mm free play and d.i.d. (my chain maker) 25-30. 45 seems way too loose to me so i set to (about given the above) 30mm.

any helpful suggestions?
is it clean enough?

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2011, 12:40:24 pm »
stick to the owners manual , going tighter than 40mm will lead to premature gearbox wear . the slack is there for a reason . the longer than usual swing arm means the fazer chain free play is needed when the suspension is compressed .

im sure Mike will be along to verify what i say :)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2011, 03:09:39 pm »
Thanks for the heads up , i usually check it , clean it and lube it with silkolene chain lube monthly after  washing it , i keep the slack between 40 - 50mm , if i run it any looser i can hear it slapping , i wouldn,t say i was a kneedown hero , but i do like to get away to a quick start , always puts a grin on my face . 

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2011, 06:15:55 pm »

any helpful suggestions?

Yup, listen to Jacko.  ;)

The relationship between swingarm pivot and the sprockets is such that the Gen 1 needs a little more slack than DID say.  Their's is probably a generic figure rather than Gen 1-specific. :)

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2011, 07:50:42 pm »
AND GET YOURSELF A SCOTTOILER! I am not connected to the Scottoiler company in any way either.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2011, 08:14:47 pm »
I've never liked Scottoilers, the 3 bikes I've bought that have them fitted have had bone dry chains so the Scottoilers obviously needed attention so I've taken them straight off. The mechanics I've spoken to about  them dont like them either. As far as I can tell a Scottoiler is going to take as much maintenance to keep it functioning correctly as you'd spend properly lubricating your chain anyhow so there is no point. Assuming you look after your bike you'll be cleaning it fairly regularly, after a wash take it out for a ride to dry it off and then once you're back clean and lubricate the chain, I use a EPO80 Gear oil for lubrication and every now and then use a chain cleaner to get rid of the muck that the chain picks up, followed by a nice coating of oil.
« Last Edit: 11 October 2011, 08:15:57 pm by PieEater »

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2011, 11:00:51 pm »
Scottoiler does it for me. Only maintenance is changing the flow rate twice a year - once when it starts getting warm and again when it starts getting colder (i.e. this weekend seems like a good time). Some guys get hung up about adjusting it every time the weather changes but I can't see the point.

Check it and top up if needed weekly when I check my tyre pressures.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2011, 11:14:06 pm »

i don't find my fazer easy to set chain tension on. with the axle and torque arm bolts loose i set the adjusters and get it just so but when i tighten either the axle or torque arm bolts it moves. i've tried gradually nipping with no luck, so i usually adjust it a bit loose and then tighten the bolts and it tightens up a little, but this is a bit trial and error until i'm happy with it.

also the yamaha manual stated 45mm free play and d.i.d. (my chain maker) 25-30. 45 seems way too loose to me so i set to (about given the above) 30mm.

any helpful suggestions?

i have found if i leave approx 10 mm extra slack (not far of touching the swingarm rubbers) then tightening it's usually pretty close to 45mm free play. Hope this helps! :)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2011, 06:40:04 am »
My fazer  chain has now done 33k miles....using just manually applied gear oil approx every 200 miles- . Its worn, but not worn out.I only need to adjust it about twice a year.My main dealer reckons its still serviceable.When I used spray chain lube I was lucky to get 15 to 20 k chain life.I put it down to the gear oil taking dirt and grit with it when it is flung off, keeps chain clean and O rings intact. Whereas sprays are cloggy and form a real grinding paste ...
I just did a trackday at cadwell where the bike got  a very good workout and the chain has not needed adjusting after that .
I do keep the chain quite slack( 40 to 50mm) ...but just keep an eye on it as after my 3000 mile tour in 12 days this year it was whacking the swing arm it had slackened off a bit.Its the only issue when running a slack chain...I probably will replace with a DID gold over the winter as I think I have had great life from this chain!
cheers