Date: 19-04-24  Time: 22:16 pm

Author Topic: Which gloves?  (Read 1895 times)

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
Which gloves?
« on: 01 October 2012, 11:45:15 am »
Since my current gloves, despite being called 'Bone Dry', let in more water than the Titanic I'm after a new pair.  I don't want to spend a silly amount but I want a pair that actually keep my hands dry and warm.  Bearing in mind it's coming up to winter and I was thinking of getting some heated grips soon also, has anyone got/used heated gloves?  Are they any good?  I wouldn't mind spending more on the gloves if it saved me getting the grips...

Ta very much  :thumbup

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Which gloves?
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2012, 07:43:59 pm »
has anyone got/used heated gloves?  Are they any good? 

Yep, as I've mentioned in other threads, I have the Gerbing Heated Gloves which are great because they heat the back of the hand and down to the tips of the fingers (which heated grips don't do) and they're even good without the heating elements on.

You can pay a lot for the variable heating control (I did) but I think the "off/ low/ medium/ high" ones you can get probably will be just as good since you don't really need precise control and are cheaper.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2012, 08:35:20 pm »
Since my current gloves, despite being called 'Bone Dry',

Ah, the Oxford Bone Dry. So shit I took them back, and told them so - the guy didn't quibble, even for 1 second, about giving me the money back, so he must have known how useless they were!

Have a pair of Halvarrsons (sp?) now, and also some Apine star jobbies - both pretty good, cant remember model names though, so thats feckign useless, innit  :D

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2012, 11:36:26 pm »
I've got a pair of Ixons (forget the exact name), £25 IIRC, and I swear by them. I'll try and find a link to them.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2012, 08:28:34 am »
Thanks guys, very very tempted by a pair of heated gloves after this morning... it's only going to get colder over the next two months.  Think I'll be investing in a pair fairly sharpish.

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2012, 07:02:32 pm »
Make sure in heavy persistant rain that you tuck your gloves INSIDE your jacket sleeves - you'll get away with it in showers but for prolonged rides the gloves need to be inside the jacket sleeves to let the rain run off and not down and into your gloves.  That make sense??  :)
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2012, 09:39:38 pm »
If I do that aren't I going to get water up my sleeves when I'm on a DC?  :b

The Oxfords just let water in everywhere, complete waste of money.  I'll be keeping them for spares but they're not even any good for summer use since as soon as there's a hint of sweat in them they prolapse when you take them off  >:

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2012, 09:50:30 pm »
Make sure in heavy persistant rain that you tuck your gloves INSIDE your jacket sleeves - you'll get away with it in showers but for prolonged rides the gloves need to be inside the jacket sleeves to let the rain run off and not down and into your gloves.  That make sense??  :)

The Gerbing gloves have an inner elasticated section that goes under the jacket sleeves and the outer goes over the sleeves so you don't get water being blown up into the sleeve or running down into the gloves :thumbup

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2012, 12:06:19 am »
Good shout Graham and I've seen the like, though not used.  But I've never ever had water 'blown' up my sleeves when riding and I've done some.  Not saying it can't happen, just that I've not experienced it that way.   I  tuck any glove inside my sleeve when on a long run when raining, 'cos it's gravity that causes that wet feeling inside, with the water running down the sleeve and running into the glove above your wrist.  The only time I get wet hands is when I've not bothered to stop and tuck 'em in. Yeuck!
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.