Date: 18-04-24  Time: 07:51 am

Author Topic: Dropped forks - experiences?  (Read 1444 times)

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Dropped forks - experiences?
« on: 27 September 2012, 07:08:11 pm »
My Fazer's front wheel was hit by a passing car (tore a hole in the bike cover too, bastards!) and it knocked the alignment out, so today, I was tinkering with the forks to get them back straight.

Anyway, when I was tightening the yolk bolts back up I thought I'd give dropping the forks by 10mm a go (or at least that's how much of the tube is protruding out the top yolk).

Gave it a test run and it feels completely different, holds it's line alot tighter in corners. "Feels planted" is the phrase I'd use. Not sure whether I'll keep it this way or not, I like being able to flick it around in London traffic, and the Fazer is good at that when normal.

What are the disadvantages/ risks of this set-up? Anybody have any interesting experiences with dropped forks, or can recommend a set-up that works for you?

Thanks  :)

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
Re: Dropped forks - experiences?
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2012, 07:57:46 pm »
iv not done it on a fazer but have on other bikes,the steering response is much quicker(depend on how much you drop them) but the bikes can get a little twitchy sometimes,it also puts more weight onto the bars ie your wrists etc some like it some dont
hope your bike is ok after it got knocked over,make sure everyting is stright and true as you dont want bent forks,wheel or frame etc!

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2012, 09:26:18 pm »
Luckily it didn't actually topple over this time (has been knocked over whilst parked 3 times in 2 years, London, need I say more), looks like it just hit the front tyre and the forks budged. Loosening the yolks and realigning them seem to have done the job. Thanks for the tip, will see if they are twitchy at higher speeds....

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2012, 12:02:39 am »
In my experience 10mm is to much. 5mm is probably the best compromise. It does sharpen the steering even though it is very good as standard. If you have the preload adjusters set the stattic sag to 23mm and work from there

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2012, 11:17:13 am »
10mm is fine as you say it dose  improve things  :D
follow me and ile show you were to crash

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,484.msg2583.html#msg2583

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2012, 01:14:53 pm »
Changed it to 5mm and will see how it goes, need to get used to it first before deciding whether to keep it at 5mm or going to 10mm afterwards. Doing it in steps might just help me avoid being flung off in a massive tank slapper  :b Thanks guys

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2012, 04:26:48 pm »
10mm is fine as long as the sidestand still gives enough lean to make the bike stable when parked, 15mm would also be fine. 5mmis a placebo and would do next to bugger all and is pointless. Far better to raise the rear as this increased ground clearance instead of reducing it like a fork drop does.